Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a reason why megan racing downpipe and so forth is a lot cheaper in price. Compared to some of your other name brand pieces is it just a name thing or is it a quality issue.

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
It's a combination of the two, IMHO. Their quality is good enough to get the job done but not "high quality" enough to compare to the big names. Their name also isn't big enough to command higher prices yet. Give it a few more years and they'll get there if they can keep quality and customer service up. They were an "ebay" brand a while back but I had a header of theirs on my GS-R and it lasted longer than my DC Sports header. It was still on the car when I sold it after 40K miles of use.

·
Lord Stig
6,676 Posts
I have a full Megan Racing Turbo Back Exhaust. I've given it the full beans for the past year. Great quality. Awesome customer service, great people to talk to.

·
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ
747 Posts
I have a lot of experience with many Megan parts for my previous car. I agree the prices are cheap, but you lose out on quality.

1. The welds on all their exhaust products are terribly done. Over time, stress and heat will cause the weld to break. The pipes will suffer from metal fatigue. You can re-weld the welds back on, but it'll break again.
2. The flex pipe on their downpipe is prone to leaking. If you can find a Megan downpipe without the flex part, get that.
3. The resonator in their downpipe and catback exhausts are glass packed. The glass inside shatters easily. You'll notice ringing sounds from your exhaust when you let go of the gas. If you take the pipe off and shake it, you'll hear lots of shattered glass inside the resonator.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a lot of experience with many Megan parts for my previous car. I agree the prices are cheap, but you lose out on quality.

1. The welds on all their exhaust products are terribly done. Over time, stress and heat will cause the weld to break. The pipes will suffer from metal fatigue. You can re-weld the welds back on, but it'll break again.
2. The flex pipe on their downpipe is prone to leaking. If you can find a Megan downpipe without the flex part, get that.
3. The resonator in their downpipe and catback exhausts are glass packed. The glass inside shatters easily. You'll notice ringing sounds from your exhaust when you let go of the gas. If you take the pipe off and shake it, you'll hear lots of shattered glass inside the resonator.
I had none of these problems in the 65k miles I had my Megan turbo back on my previous car.

·
Gooood! GOOOOOD!
6,450 Posts
Megan is an overall good brand. Sure sometimes a lemon will come off of their line but that is why they have a warranty. As you can see, there are more fans than haters out there.

·
Premium Member
16,012 Posts
The reason that their stuffis cheaper is because they "were" one of those ebay brands.

IIRC thats where they they started out. I remember buying a strut bar kitfrom them back in like 03 off of ebay

(I am not sure on this, just rumors from what I heard) a few years ago, they pretty much FUBAR'd a few cars. I believe in the 350z community.

I wouldn't worry about it now.

·
Its a Hyundai
275 Posts

yea ive never had these problems either. Ive owned a few downpipes and headers from these guys on different cars and for the price they always exceeded my expectations

·
Registered
260 Posts
just chiming in, i had 2 of their exhausts and header on my last two s2000s and they never failed. I autox and race around harris hill raceway regularly and they held up fine. I DO admit their muffler got louder as i wore down its inards but i didnt expect the sound deadening to last forever.

i'll be adding their downpipe to my car soon and uh.. yah i would advise in getting it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts