Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2010 Gen Coupe 3.8 Track's fuel gauge has been off for the last few months. I've replaced both senders and the fuel pump, but the fuel gauge will show half full when it's full. I suspected the passenger side sender being stuck as the fuel level would rise or fall depending whether the passenger side was elevated when the car was parked.

After checking and rechecking everything, including both senders, I noticed a piece of metal moving freely in the passenger side of the tank (see photos). Depending on whether it blocks the float when it's up or down, my car will show half full when full, or half full when close to empty. It shifts and not reliable so I have to watch my trip odometer to make sure I don't run out of gas.

What's this bracket? Can it be replaced where it belongs? It's too large to remove via the opening for the sender, but I can bring it up to the hole with a magnet. Would cutting it with handheld cutters, nothing which sparks, and removing it piecemeal make things any worse than they currently are? Is there some way to reattach this bracket to the fuel tank safely so it stays out of the way?

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Water Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd try to bend/fold it with pliers so it can be removed through the sending unit hole.
I'm leaning towards pulling it out if it can't be reattached. I'm definitely not up for replacing the tank as long is the absence of the baffle on the passenger side won't cause too much trouble. I'm guessing not as it's not been a problem with it just freely moving around thus far.

When the free floating baffle jams the fuel sender arm on the passenger side, the car resets it's overall fuel economy whenever I park the car. When the car is parked, fuel shifts from driver to passenger side, and with the passenger side arm stuck, it sees it as fuel depleting. Then when it shifts back while driving, the trip computer assumes a fuel fill up and resets the average gas mileage, which eventually leads to a check engine light with a cat converter efficiency message. I almost got a new cat converter before I realized I could get it to reset by parking the car flat and refueling often enough that the tank is always full.

My fuel gauge and check engine light have been clear ever since I pushed it away, but I know it's temporary. I need some advice on a more permanent fix while keeping the car safe to drive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bump bump… on my girlfriends Genesis the fuel gauge has been reading half a tank for the past 2 weeks Lmaoo I finally opened up the passenger side to find the same baffle loose and interfering with floaty. How did you remove it or cut it?
It hasn't been pulled out as of yet, but I expect to have it done sometime next week. I'll update this thread once it's done. I don't expect it to be any worse than having that baffle floating around freely in there.

Another friend suggested just slapping a powerful magnet under the seat to hold the baffle in place somewhere out of the way. I'm skeptical as to how well it will hold up to my driving, but it might work at least for the short term.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts