Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have any experience good or bad with metal valve stems? I'll be mounting some tires on some aftermarket wheels in the near future and I'm considering using the metal stems. One of the things I hate is when I try to take an accurate tire pressure reading and the stupid rubber/plastic stem bends when I push the gauge on it.

There also seems to be more than 1 type. There's the snap-in and the clamp-in and I'm wondering if one is better than the other rigidity wise. Or if anyone has had an issue with one type or the other.

·
2.0T Premium
850 Posts
I wanted to ask about flush mount valve stems.... Did you look into those at all?

PS... epic signature LOL:rofl:

·
2.0T Premium
850 Posts
:D

And installed....

Hmm... haven't come across any that were offered in black. I've only seen black metal valve stems

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just might consider going with something like this, although I don't know how much of a pain it would be to have to put that filler tube in every time I want to check the pressure or add air.

Definitely an option though, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

·
The OG
7,957 Posts
My Volks came with them and I like them. Nothing fancy, but better than the plastic ones.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry I was just browsing through the forum when I saw this and thought I would offer an opinion.

I always use rubber valve stems. In my experience as time goes on the seals that act as the gasket between the wheel and the valve stem halves tend to dry up and start to leak. This is very annoying when you start losing air consistently.

Again...not that they cant be used but just something to thing about. Hope it helps.

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Sorry I was just browsing through the forum when I saw this and thought I would offer an opinion.

I always use rubber valve stems. In my experience as time goes on the seals that act as the gasket between the wheel and the valve stem halves tend to dry up and start to leak. This is very annoying when you start losing air consistently.

Again...not that they cant be used but just something to thing about. Hope it helps.
But they look so much better...:hsugh:

I was looking at getting some too, but with that little suggestion i might old off then...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry, I was not trying to scare you, just giving another thought for you to consider. I have had wheels with metal valve stems before. Even had them on the car for a few seasons. When one would start to leak, I would just order new seals or a whole new valve stem and swap it in. Any tire shop should be able to take care of this swap (re mount and balance) on one wheel for 15 -20 bucks.

So its not a major issue, just something I thought I would offer an opinion on.

Best of luck to you!

But they look so much better...:hsugh:

I was looking at getting some too, but with that little suggestion i might old off then...

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Sorry, I was not trying to scare you, just giving another thought for you to consider. I have had wheels with metal valve stems before. Even had them on the car for a few seasons. When one would start to leak, I would just order new seals or a whole new valve stem and swap it in. Any tire shop should be able to take care of this swap (re mount and balance) on one wheel for 15 -20 bucks.

So its not a major issue, just something I thought I would offer an opinion on.

Best of luck to you!
Would tracking the car actually speed up the wear or possibility of the air leaking from the seals?

I will have the tires on and off the rims at least once a year, so exchanging the stems wouldn't be too much of a hassle really.

In any case what product would you recommend?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im going to say probably not. Its more an age thing, as the rubber becomes more brittle or rigid from time it begins to allow leaking.

Again, as much as you swap tires just order an additional set of seals so you have them in the event you have a sealing problem. Thats what I would do...haha

Would tracking the car actually speed up the wear or possibility of the air leaking from the seals?

I will have the tires on and off the rims at least once a year, so exchanging the stems wouldn't be too much of a hassle really.

In any case what product would you recommend?

Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just a thought from my motorcycle experience. The cheap steel stems weigh more and require a lot more balancing weight than the expensive aluminum stems. For my bike, I go aluminum. For a car, probably doesn't make much difference, but there it is.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well judging from the replies here I think I'm just gonna go with some short rubber stems and be done with it. I have the tires/wheels sitting separate here in my office and was just exploring my valve stem options.

My original gripe with the rubber valve stems was the fact that they bend when trying to take an air pressure reading but thinking more on it, it's not like I'm taking tire pressure readings all the time anyways. Might be a different story for some one who's racing their car but I don't.

Thanks for everyone's questions/input. I'm glad we all have this forum to shoot out questions and get other people's opinions, it's so convenient.

:bigthumbup:

·
Hammer lane Hero
5,712 Posts
First,

PS... epic signature LOL:rofl:
Die in a fire you bastard. :fleshbox:

Second, I've never used them in cars, so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt.

But all transports use metal valve stems (aluminum ones in aluminum rims) and we've rarely had leaking issues, usually from improperly tightened ones. And those tires hold 100psi. And yes, it is nice to not have the valve stem bend when you try to measure/fill the tires.

·
「まんがをえ&#
2,483 Posts
oh wow those short stem are nice looking, wish I coudl've get a set before -.-/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts