Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Recent Coupester
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm heading down to Fayetteville, NC this weekend to pick up a Base 2.0T w manny tranny. Love the Nord Gray, but that seems to be the only color they don't have.

Although I am mostly a bicycle commuter and only put about 5K - 6K a year on my gas combustion vehicle, at 53, I still think driving is fun and need a car to reinforce that, when I do crank up an engine. Getting rid of the wife-hand-me-down 12-year-old Volvo wagon (at least it was a stick shift and had cargo room for musical gear) won't be too difficult.

Why base? Well, I like the turbo engine, I like stick and the higher end models have suspension that just too stiff (plus I need cruise and the R-Spec don't got it).

I'm psyched, although I'll be a more tempting trooper yank in this sweet ride than I would be driving the boxy volvo wagon.

I never thought I'd be looking at a Hyundai, but here I am...

·
Registered
44 Posts
:hello::hello::hello::hello:
Welcome aboard!, your fixen to have some fun!:rofl::rofl::D

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
Welcome to the site! Look forward to your purchase...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hey, welcome!

I'm also a bicycle commuter and sounds like 1957 was a good year for you too!

I got the stereo and leather heated seats w/ the roof up here and don't regret it in the least cause I'm worth it. LOL

Nothin' like ending the work week with a cruise. And we do our part for the environment all week!

Trooper Yank, never heard that one before, good luck with it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Welcome. I bought mine (3.8 Track A/T Silver) a week ago. LOVE it. I guess it's my mid-life crisis too (54). I too am a bike rider, but don't commute ever - I have to be on call daily to drive to client sites for repairs... Bikes will fit in the trunk I've found with the wheels removed. I would like to find a removable rack for the trunk, so if you have any suggestions... I have a yakima roof rack from my old MBZ, just don't want to spoil the lines on my sweet new ride.

·
Recent Coupester
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, fellow bi-polar vehicularizers!

I too get frequent service calls at work. What I typically do is to drive to work on Monday, leave the vehicle there all week (and bike commute to and from), then on weekends, drive the vehicle home for weekend jaunts. In the event I need to go somewhere on weeknights, I borrow my wife's nauseatingly boring Honda CRV. I tried to talk her into getting a sportier car, or at least a sedan, but girl insisted on a CRV. Ironically, now she's getting all jealous that I'm getting a kick-ass sporty car w manny tranny for the same money.

My first brand new car was a 1987 Acura Integra. The Genesis Coupe felt like more of the same (much more, actually). My test drive was thrilling in its low RPM torque performance.

If the price of gas goes up for the next few weekends due to an inexplicable increase in global demand, I apologize in advance.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Welcome. I bought mine (3.8 Track A/T Silver) a week ago. LOVE it. I guess it's my mid-life crisis too (54). I too am a bike rider, but don't commute ever - I have to be on call daily to drive to client sites for repairs... Bikes will fit in the trunk I've found with the wheels removed. I would like to find a removable rack for the trunk, so if you have any suggestions... I have a yakima roof rack from my old MBZ, just don't want to spoil the lines on my sweet new ride.
We had the same issue with carrying bikes. I installed a Curt hitch and use a Yakima hitch mount. The hitch is hardly noticeable and keeps the weight of the bikes off the trunk.

·
Sex Machine
1,514 Posts
Doesn't a mid-life crisis revolve around a Ferrari, Porsche, or any kind of a high end V8? I would never have thought a Hyundai would top that list :bigthumbup:

Welcome to the forum and u picked a great car for a crisis :cool:

·
Registered
544 Posts
We had the same issue with carrying bikes. I installed a Curt hitch and use a Yakima hitch mount. The hitch is hardly noticeable and keeps the weight of the bikes off the trunk.
That's funny, I just noticed that Curt hitch on EBay. Have to be careful about talking about trailer hitches on here, could get you banned. :ugh:

So how was the install, fit, and all that stuff? Pretty happy? Good product?

·
Recent Coupester
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pulled The Trigger

Snagged a silver base 2.0T w manny tranny for $21,500. 12 miles on it as I left the lot.

Impressions? Wow. It's a bit painful to have to keep 'er contained for the first 600 miles, seeing as how she really wants to roar.

Transmission is going to take some getting used to, after my Volvo wagon and its original 189K clutch. My wife's head is still sore from me learning the short clutch throw This beast wants to squeal, but my dirt/rock driveway mustn't spew stones on her shiny flanks.

I particularly like the options that come with the base (bluetooth, iPod integration, allow wheels) and don't really care for the options that don't (with the glaring exception of a Sunroof, which I woulda dug, but would have cost waaaay more and bought me other options I couldn't care less about.

Dealer was okay (Lee Hyundai of Fayettenam, NC), got me a killer deal (none of the local dealers would touch it) and threw in floor mats, cargo net and iPod interface.

Luckily, I have a garage at home and at work, so she should age gracefully.

I'm intrigued by all the possible engine mods, but realistically, I'm gonna have plenty to handle with the stock settings.

Coupe on!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts