Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
blackbeauty2.0
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the BR stage 3 kit and custom tune at their shop....280whp 295tq @22psi

i have the stock clutch, stock wheels and pretty much stock r-spec suspension. I know I can get more power by getting a lighter flywheel and better clutch,,, and I want to get some lighter weight wheels.... but anything else? I dont want to change the turbo. Could I buy a turbo manifold from synapse? Do the upgraded cams add much power? I went to Beyond Redline in Green Bay and their car made 299whp and 315tq... the only differences are the flywheel/clutch,wheels, and their own cams which Luke told me the cams don't make much of a difference power wise. Have many people tried a lightweight crank pulley? What about has anyone noticed a good gain from the cam upgrade? suggestions please

·
With teeth.
1,138 Posts
What exhaust do you have? With the primary cat still on, your gains seem very reasonable. The next step would be to run a full turbo back exhaust. The only major upgrade other than the turbo would be a water/meth injection kit. The clutch upgrade should also be on your to-do list. For reference, CrookedH has his stage 3 kit at just over the 300whp mark and he has a piggy back unit on top of BR's standard tune. The thing with cams is that if your turbo is maxed, they won't do you much good.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Ditch the cats, get clutch and flywheel and retune. You'll have a little more power and no clutch slip (which if you don't have yet you will soon.)

·
Registered
736 Posts
The clutch and flywheel will help you free up some horsepower, new wheels will do nothing for you on a dyno, and that turbo is about maxed out so don't expect too much more power from it, otherwise you will be looking at a new turbo.

·
blackbeauty2.0
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no cats.... 3in turbo back exhaust.... with exceladyne muffler so its only one muffler but I think I like that over the cp-e exhaust with 2 and other brands. I am planning on getting a lightweight flywheel and better clutch.... I was told that the stock flywheel really holds back some power because of its weight. My car has barely 10k mi and it shifts fine even for all the torque. I'm wondering if there are other things tho.... crank pulley? I understand what you mean about the cams not doing much because the turbo is max'd.... but could it not help to tune where i want my power... for instance i want more mid-upper range power. Has anyone had any success with a light weight crank pulley? someone also told me to port and polish.... i guess hes talking about the intake man. and throttle body or something....how much power would i get from a lighter flywheel you think?

·
blackbeauty2.0
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The clutch and flywheel will help you free up some horsepower, new wheels will do nothing for you on a dyno, and that turbo is about maxed out so don't expect too much more power from it, otherwise you will be looking at a new turbo.
So if I went from the heavy stock 19s with dunlop wintersport ms's on the back to like a 17 or 18in wheel that weighs about half with a summer tire the car won't be much faster? I see what you're saying about not making much of a difference on a dyno but its gotta help the car accelerate faster. I wouldn't mind a new turbo but I don't wanna blow my engine. Also, I figured I would need to change a lot of things to put a bigger turbo on... such as even bigger injectors, maybe a fuel pump, oil cooler, and I don't even know what else. I know people can put like gt30s and 28s on the stock motor but I don't think the motor is built to handle that power. I would like to make at least 350whp on pump gas no meth or anything and have a daily driver.

·
301 whp
1,102 Posts
And there is the rub. Asking for more horsepower requires a cash outlay. Going lighter on any one part is not going to yield any horsepower gains on the dyno. You will see it on the track. Like you said they just allow you to accelerate faster. Power levels remain the same. More power is going to require a bigger turbo. If you do not want to go that route be content with what you have. Your numbers are very good.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I'm putting a GT30 on mine right now, i'm just going to keep the boost low until I build the bottom end. Also with the power you're running now you're going to want to consider putting new injectors on it anyways, because at your power level they are about at max capacity anyways. You have to think what you want to do with the car in the future, if all you want is 300 rwhp don't waste your money on a new turbo, but if you want more you'll need to go bigger. The beautiful thing about turbos is you can always grow into it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have the BR stage 3 kit and custom tune at their shop....280whp 295tq @22psi

i have the stock clutch, stock wheels and pretty much stock r-spec suspension. I know I can get more power by getting a lighter flywheel and better clutch,,, and I want to get some lighter weight wheels.... but anything else? I dont want to change the turbo. Could I buy a turbo manifold from synapse? Do the upgraded cams add much power? I went to Beyond Redline in Green Bay and their car made 299whp and 315tq... the only differences are the flywheel/clutch,wheels, and their own cams which Luke told me the cams don't make much of a difference power wise. Have many people tried a lightweight crank pulley? What about has anyone noticed a good gain from the cam upgrade? suggestions please
You can do quiet a few things still...

Screw the port and polish of the manifold, get yourself:
http://www.gencoupe.com/2-0t/54607-elite-intake-manifold-makes-sick-power.html
Elite found quiet a big difference in the mid range and mid-high range from this intake manifold, and see if BR can get you on a dyno and tune it (it'll need some modifying of the intercooler piping but it's worth it if the gains are the same)
Get a lighter fly wheel, new clutch, carbon fiber or aluminum one piece drive shaft, and some nice light wheels and you'll feel a HUGE improvement. I can't find all the info but the differences in clutches is something like: Stock - 53lb's, aftermarket - 28. And the driveshaft is another heavy soab. All that extra weight being cut off should do alot to make it quicker, though will it show in a dyno? not sure. But you'll def feel it

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
Meth kit, e85 so they can add more timing in, or perhaps a single exit exhaust may free up a little more power. The elite manifold should help too. I ran into some minor issues on the dyno so the runs werent consistent but I made 305whp one run and 320wtq another. My best set of numbers that day was 303/290, all on the 91 octane tune. 290whp was the most the base stage 3 91 tune made. Got it to 305 with the cmd..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts