Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 3.8 r-spec and my motor has been ticking for quite some time. I recently took it into Hyundai and they wanted to charge me $1000 to tear down the motor and find the issue. I took the car back wanted to get some other opinions. It is definitely a tick and not a knock. I have been driving on the issue for a few months because it is my only vehicle and have not had time to fix it. I have checked the oil on multiple occasions and nothing has been out of the ordinary. I have taken a few small road trips in it with absolutely zero issue. No loss of power, its never died on me, or given me any reason to think something was wrong with it other than the noise. After doing some reading online a lot of people have said there is a loud ticking with the fuel injectors or possibly could be a valve tick. I am not sure how to proceed and wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue.

203 Posts
Do you have a video?
These cars tick quite loudly.

If you've been driving with it for a while, went on road trips, car feels fine, etc. It's probably nothing to worry about.

Reactions: lvdukerider

· Registered
1,793 Posts
Find another owner near you, listen to both and compare. FWIW my 2014 3.8 Ultimate auto has ticked loudly since new,(GDI) and I know it's normal. It's part of the reason Hyundai puts that big insulated plastic cover on the engine, if you remove the cover the noise gets more noticeable.

· Registered
2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track 6MT
75 Posts
I have a 2015 3.8 r-spec and my motor has been ticking for quite some time. I recently took it into Hyundai and they wanted to charge me $1000 to tear down the motor and find the issue. I took the car back wanted to get some other opinions. It is definitely a tick and not a knock. I have been driving on the issue for a few months because it is my only vehicle and have not had time to fix it. I have checked the oil on multiple occasions and nothing has been out of the ordinary. I have taken a few small road trips in it with absolutely zero issue. No loss of power, its never died on me, or given me any reason to think something was wrong with it other than the noise. After doing some reading online a lot of people have said there is a loud ticking with the fuel injectors or possibly could be a valve tick. I am not sure how to proceed and wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue.
I have a 2010 2.0T Track and mine ticks loudly too. I have been told that the fuel injectors on our cars are just loud and I have verified myself that, that was what was causing the noise. Being that you have driven it for a while with no issues and without it getting worse, I would say that it is just injector tick

· Registered
84 Posts
I second the request for a video with the ticking. I’ve had my 2013 3.8 Track since new, and I always remember some kind of ticking. I only really notice it when I’m in a garage or at the drive thru.

· Registered
2014 Hoondai 🏎️💨 GC 2.0T FBO+SFR
216 Posts
I work at a dealer and whenever they advise to open up an engine is because the failure is likely minor and can be repaired rather than replacing the engine assy.
Who knows. It could be as easy as adjusting the tensioners/timing on belt/chain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts