Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im buying a gen in literally 9 days (waiting for my tax money C'MON ALREADY!!!) after hearing someone in the threads talk about how theyre paying $50 per fill on his/her 2.0 my jaw just dropped. Huge gap in cars but im coming from a 1.3L 98hp (didnt know they made garbage <100hp) '97 mitsubishi mirage which i only have to put in at most $25 a week to fill my tank at current NY prices of around $3.50 for 89.
and after hearing that the engine in the 2.0 is supposedly not that good and burns more gas than necessary i really need to know how much everyone here is paying for gas to fill their tank. if its really $50 at the pump for the v4 how much really is it for the v6

please i need answers asap (T minus 9 days!!!)

·
Banned
2,327 Posts
I put like $52 in mine the last time I put gas in. Gas was like $3.30-ish a gallon. I would assume the cost is the same to fill up the V6 - unless it has a different size tank(I don't know anything about the V6).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Since the 2.0T and the 3.8 have the same fuel capacity, it's going to cost the same to fill up either car. The different is how frequently the car will have to be filled up. For me, I have the 3.8 and I get about 20mpg mixed city and highway driving. I put in about $50 per fill up.

·
Registered
358 Posts
ALL Gen Coupes have a 17.2 gallon fuel tank. Run either 2.0T or a 3.8 empty and it's going to cost the same to fill - whether it's "regular fuel" (87 octane) or "premium fuel" (91+ octane).

If you're concerned about mpgs - seriously, do a search, there's roughly 3-4 threads right on the front page of this very subforum... and MANY others with regards to 2.0T & 3.8 mpg.

There's no need for another mpg thread.

·
Registered
578 Posts
$50 is pretty normal for all my cars. Different cars have different volume of fuel tank. I think V6 is actually more fuel efficient. It'll cost more in insurance too (than your old car that is). On my V6 i get about 20 mpg observed with mix highway and city. All highway driving, I get 27mpg. If $50/tank really is shocking you, I think u need to rethink the purchase. A Honda CRZ might be a better fit.

·
barely turns a wrench
509 Posts
i have a 2010 RSPEC 2.0T

i drive both city/highway...mostly city,and average around 280-290 miles per tank...which averages to about 16-17 mpg ;(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive been looking through cars for about 6 months now ive crossed off cars like lexus IS250, acura tsx, mazda rx-8 (23highway mpg BS) and scion tc2 off my list. I'm going with the Gen my only concern was the mpg and i did do a search for "mpg" and nothing came up actually. Figured i would be paying less per fill since my brothers TL and Envoy both V6 cost about 50-60 at the pump, just wasnt expecting that.

·
barely turns a wrench
509 Posts
ive been looking through cars for about 6 months now ive crossed off cars like lexus IS250, acura tsx, mazda rx-8 (23highway mpg BS) and scion tc2 off my list. I'm going with the Gen my only concern was the mpg and i did do a search for "mpg" and nothing came up actually. Figured i would be paying less per fill since my brothers TL and Envoy both V6 cost about 50-60 at the pump, just wasnt expecting that.
with gas at 3.xx , i pay around 46$ to fill up.:(

only gonna get higher i bet:wtc:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i wish, probably shouldve mentioned that mirage is now out of commission and have no wheels to get to work so waiting 6 years for the FT might be stretching it lol

·
Registered
285 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
If you get a 2.0 dont get an automatic if you want fuel economy.

·
Car newb
2,239 Posts
I wouldn't say this is the wrong car for fuel efficiency. It gets pretty good mpg for a sports car. Not to mention, a lot of people are using their cars for DD (very, very entertaining DD), so every mile you can get over another car helps.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The cost to fill your tank only depends on two things: gas cost per gallon and volume of tank. Has nothing to do with mpg. Mpg will however determine how often you fill your tank. The 3.8's fuel economy is actually quite decent for its size and performance. In my experience, the EPA city rating of 17 mpg (auto) is pretty close to the mark, maybe a touch low. The highway rating of 27 is probably a tad low if you drive at 55-65 and a tad high if you drive at 80.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
You cant gauge mpg by how much it cost to fill the tank. The coupe has a big tank and its going to cost a lot to fill but that has nothing to do with mpg. I average about 25-26mpg in a city highway mix and havent gotten anything below 24 in my 2.0 6mt.

I rarely ever fill the tank, actually i dont think ive ever done it. My patience wears thin at the gas pump so i just gas up until i cant stand it anymore, which is usually about $20. I feel like the longer i stand there, the harder i allow them to ass rape me.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I fill my car every 10 days or so. I have had the car for about 17 months, and have just rolled 18,300KM. So thats approximately 360KM/tank. At 60 bucks a fill that's not cheap on fuel. If my math is correct I've filled my car approximately 50 times since ownership.
That puts me at around 3k for fuel for 18000 KM.
Works out to approximately 50% more gas than I was going through with my old 2.0 Jetta.

Our cars are rated well for a sports car with 300HP, but not really all then well in the grand scheme of things.
If fuel economy is what you are looking for, you are looking at the wrong car.
If your the type of person that needs to keep track of what they spend at the pump, then you probably won't be all that happy with a GC.

·
Banned
1,705 Posts
getting 8.4L/100km mixed driving conditions with my 2.0T manual .. sfr flash / downpipe

·
Thrice a charm
669 Posts
If you get a 2.0 manual and are concerned with MPG you can easily get over 32MPG on the highway if you drive slow and learn how to manage your fuel system while driving you can get really good fuel economy.

How much a car cost to fill up really means nothing. I almost never put more than 10 gallons in my S2000 so it seemed like it was fuel effecient but I was only getting around 19 MPG (driving like a bat out of hell)

My beater is raited at 30MPG highway and I have gotten 40 MPG on an entire tank twice before, I just really get bored driving that slow.

·
Banned
631 Posts
I fill up for about $55 on my 3.8 and get about 365mpt on 93octane (hard to find 91 around me) on mixed driving. I fill up about 15.5 gallons when the low fuel light is on which works out to 23.5mpg which is right in line with my mpg gauge. Highway driving I usually get about 27/28 and I've gotten as high as 33mpg over a tank on pure highway with no traffic for a full tank ( that's 500mpt about). Efficiency has dropped a bit since my Cbe im now more toward the 23 mark with 25/26 hwy but I think that's due to the fact that I like to listen to my cai and Cbe when I punch it :)

1 - 20 of 75 Posts