Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

My Dealership is hilarious

2K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  CyborgRyu 
#1 · (Edited)
So back in the second week of Febuary i put the deposit down on a 2013 genesis coupe. They sold me on the 7 year, 140k warranty for 2700 bucks, after discovering this forum and getting ridiculously excited about modding it and getting it tuned, I have since told the financing lady that I will no longer require the extra extended warranty because i plan on modding and getting it tuned.

I take delivery this saturday march 23rd, she is now running around talking to her sales and service manager because she is convinced that this can and will be covered under warranty as long as I bring it to them to get warranty stuff done. So far her sales manager has O'kayed this, I will be covered with a tune and supporting mods, (basic boltons) Even after i spelled it out that this is a reprogram of the cars computer. So now im just waiting to hear back from her after she talks to the service manager.

I want to get the BTRcc stage one done with basic boltons and leave it at that, probably next year, they recomend keeping the primary cat so i would think i would have no check engine lights with the basic boltons and full turbo back exhaust, so the only part of my plan that would really void a warranty is the tune itself.

Now overall my experience with this dealer has been rather Meh, but this has really made me laugh, do they make a huge profit off the 2700 dollar extended warranty? apparently if you dont cause 2700 bucks of warranty work in 7 years they refund it even.....

From what ive learned about dealers and warranty work on these forums, why the hell is my dealership so excited to keep me on the 7 year, and willing to warranty a tuned/modded car as long as i only get my warranty work done by them?

its the hamilton mountain hyundai dealer in Hamilton Ontario.
and obviously if they agree to warranty it after being tuned, im going to ask for that in writing signed by the manager.

What are your thoughts?

Edit* Just heard back from the finance lady, said she spoke to the owner of the dealership and the service manager, (owner used to be a mechanic)
and they said i am still covered under warranty if i get a tune with basic boltons. Has this ever happened before?

See less See more
#2 ·
Honestly, It wouldnt be a major issue if you went with the extended warranty because they will never know you have the btrcc tune. Bolt ons can be taken off and replaced with the oem to bring your warranty back into effect. If you plan on going a full turbo rebuild and everything you should be worried. But trust me hyundais warranty is not one to go crazy over. I personally would never buy extended warranty unless youre tracking.

#4 ·
Extended warranties are a waste of money.

They make huge comission on these things, thats why they want to sell it to you.

Keep 2700 bucks in the bank and its unlikely you will spend more than that on repairs over the same period

#5 ·
As I told you before, I have had nothing but bad service the very few times I went to that dealer. They may tell you know that everything will be covered because they want that $2700 in their pockets. Id cancel the extended period and not even go there for service.

#6 ·
they tell me the normal warranty is only 3 years, so 7 years seems worth it? for only 2700 bucks, thats only like one paycheck, doesnt seem like alot. how do you mean commission? all i have to pay is 2700 bucks one time only. Ya Dumer they drive me nuts just talking to them on the phone, but a dealer thats cool with me going will nilly on mods and a tune..... might be worth the trouble? ill have till saturday at 9 am to change my mind and take off the extended warranty, 3 years sounds like a **** warranty tho, right when u might be starting to have problems on your not so brand new anymore car....

#7 ·
And this is where your bullshit-o-meter should have gone off. Standard warranty on all new Hyundais is 10 years/100,000 miles on the drivetrain, and 5 years/60,000 miles on everything else that isn't a wear item (tires, brakes, clutch, etc, but these do have have a shorter warranty period on them.)

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance/america-best-warranty.aspx

#8 ·
Never mention mods to your dealership! If you have to go in for service change everything back to stock if it worries you that much.

Or find a really chill dealership, I found one that absolutely adores my car everytime I come in and they don't mind anything, I have the magnaflow CBE (which is obviously not stock).

#11 · (Edited)
Yeah you pretty much have a five year warranty. In reality they're selling you an extra 5 year warranty. Legally even in Canada, they can say "3 year warranty" and be able to cover their asses because only Replacement Accessories are covered for three years so technically they aren't lying. And by "replacement accessories" I'd put money on that it's just stupid things like ipod cables, hyundai floormats purchased from the dealership, etc.

edit: Either way, I really don't think that's a bad deal to be honest with ya. If you can get it in writing on your sales contract that the warranty will be honored if you install parts on the vehicle that's a pretty damn good deal in my opinion. If you do decide for it, make sure that in writing it says that "any and all aftermarket parts and any aftermarket ECU tune" will not void the warranty. Or at least something to that effect.

2nd edit: The only issue I'd have is that if you've got a shitty dealership and your engine blows up, the dealership may decide "OH NO LOL WE AREN'T GOING TO HONOR THIS" and next thing you know, you've gotta pay for a new engine and then take them to court. If you think it's worth the hassle if it comes down to that, then by all means get it. But if not, then don't. It's that simple IMO :)

#12 ·
I thought Hyndai Canada warrantied electronics for 3 years. So far my dealership seems mod friendly. They put a CAI, CBE, deck wing, roof wing, tint, fake carbon fibre interior, badging and caliper covers on a demo Sonata and rims on most of the other demo cars.

#13 ·
From website linked above

The following components covered for time and mileage limits indicated:

Radio and Sound Systems (i.e. radio, cassette tape drive mechanism, compact disc player, and GPS), DVD system: 3 years / 60,000 Km
Paint: 3 years/ 60,000 Km
Battery: 2 years / 40,000 Km
Adjustments: 1 year / 20,000 Km

#14 ·
i wouldnt be surprised if the dealer is making 50% commision on that $2700.

Extended warranties are a waste!!!

If they werent, 3rd party warranty companies wouldnt exist.

as a rule, you should never buy anything the financing guy tries to throw at you.

#15 ·
hmmmm well this is food for thought, i have untill saturday at 9 am EST to make up my mind lol.

So basically its 5 years vs 7 years, well im sure within 5 years they will have another version of the coupe with even more power..... Right now im leaning towards no extended warranty, 2 years extra 5 years away seems silly.

come to think of it when i mentioned getting it in writing the first thing she said was i could come in person and talk to the owner myself to hear it from him, kind of avoided the in writing thing.....

she also claimed they way they operate they dont have to make a phone call or talk to anyone to authorize warranty work, which sounds a little odd too....

i think ill go with the "when it sounds too good to be true..."

thanks guys, should knock my monthly down a lil bit. :)

#16 ·
I also think extended warranties are a complete waste of money and they kind of promise you in a misleading way that you get your money back if you don't use the warranty.

I also have a story about Hamilton Mountain Hyundai, I once was car shopping and looking for good deals and my friend bought his car from that location. My friend told me the salesguy & manager there gave him a good deal and was willing to give me a good deal too. My friend bought his car and I came there 3 weeks later and asked for a deal.

So the sales guy gave me 200$ off total invoice on a fully loaded sonata 2.0T. And gave me a story about how they have a "discount bag" and every month they only can give a certain amount of discount thats left in the "bag" and that the bag only had 200$ left. LOL.

After having a long conversation, the manager came out. He wears alot of jewllery kind of has a belly and has some nasty teeth, very typical shady car salesman lookin'. He didn't budge either and started talking nonsense and it escalated into a heated argument on whether or not I was stupid. And he said in my face he bet me $100 I can't get more than 200$ off the Sonata same packaged at any other Hyundai in Ontario. And he pulled out cash out of his pocket 50's and 100's showing me that he's "real talk". I laughed and I said OK I bet you. Next day I got an offer on the car for $1500 off written on the business card from the Burlington dealership I got an offer from. (If your gonna ask who I got it from, he was the manager from Burlington Hyundai).

So I brought it back to him and called him out to the floor, and long story short , at the end of talking back and forth,, there was about 3 sales guy that surrounded me (1 of them thats actually talking to me about nonsense) and the bigmouth blingin manager was hiding behind them. Nothing to say, and didn't pay up.

I left and 1 year later, I have a 2013 genesis coupe 2.0T from the superstore in Mississauga. I got a good deal from there when the coupes were limited due to production PM me if you want the name of the salesperson. And if anyone wants to know who the manager at Burl. that gave me the deal. He is no longer there as of 2013. and I don't get my service done at Burlington anymore because I built a few relationships there with the manager/service and all of them are not there anymore. And the car service there has gone
downhill.

Just my story of the Mountain Hamilton Hyundai, this is a year ago, so hopefully it has changed. I've read a few other bad stories from there and my other friends experiences.

#17 ·
They will know if you have a tune or not, if they have to scan the car and the GDS computer is hooked up to the internet the ROM ID will checked and if it doesn't match the info will be sent to Hyundai's servers. When I had a BTR tune the ecu was basically locked out so I didn't have full scanning capabilities on hyundai's scan tool. I had to manually scan parameters, not a big deal, just couldn't auto-detect VINs.

#20 ·
well the sales manager and my sales guy are both east indian looking lol. i think realistically i wont have the car past 5 years, so ill probably cancel the extended, im thinking whatever kind of extended warranty it is, its something they make good money off of, cuz the finance lady is set and determined to sell it to me, a little part of me is looking forward to saying no to her lol, she gets on ur nerves after a while.

at the very least i have a mechanic i use for 65 bucks an hour labor, and an extensive network of used parts from wreckers, 5 years from now it may not be all that hard or expensive to fix **** myself. ive used him for years and hes probably saved me literally thousands on the used piece of **** things ive owned.

well thanks again guys, been alot of help, first time for me, for all of this new car stuff.

#22 ·
well this is interesting, taking the 7 year warranty off, and jobloss and disability off the loan insurance while keeping life on it i go from 283 bi weekly to 232. Now the finance lady is so set to get me the 7 year warranty even tho i probably wont have the car past 4-5 years, that shes going to sit down with the manager to get me the extended warranty for 7 years while keeping my bi weekly in the 230 range.... she said at cost without the 1000 dollar markup.

And i will get in writing signed by the owner that they will honor the warranty with an ECU tune and basic boltons. But with a completely different exhaust on the car the only thing they wont cover is exhaust.......

wtf is with the extended warranty and the absolute i must have it mentality from these people, they are going to figure out how to give it to me without it costing me any more? well i suppose thats a good thing?

every time i talk to this dealership i end up with more questions.. I cant wait to just get the damn car and be done with this lmao

#23 ·
Things like an extended warranty, extra service plans, paint and fabric protection, admin fees, Globali etching, nitrogen, wheel locks, rust modules, etc are typically all over priced and pure profit for the dealer. Ive even encountered things like tinted windows from a dealer will be $600-700. Add all those things onto the price of a car and you're spending an extra $5000 easy.

Their extended warranty might seem like a good idea if you plan on keeping the car for 7 years, but I can almost guarantee they will require you to follow their strict service plan to keep it valid.

#24 · (Edited)
My 2 Cents..even if they put the "honoring the warranty thing" in writing will they? If Hyundai corporate says they will not get reimbursed by them for warranty work because you're modded do you think they will happily let it come out of their own pockets? Not likely.Also they're playing a dangerous game with Hyundai if they're doing warranty work and lying to them about a car not being modded (because that's the only way they would get reimbursed by Hyundai is to lie to them). They would probably lose their dealership if caught..all sounds very shady to me.

edit: Here's something very interesting too..it looks like the Hyundai Canada warranty will probably be going to 7 years/120,000kms soon anyways. (they're starting with the 2013 Sonata but would likely extend it to the rest of the line)

http://www.autofile.ca/News/627/Hyundai-Canada-offers-30-day-return-policy-on-Sonata

#25 ·
ya dumer thats what i keep telling this lady, i dont want extra cost for bullshit, but she thinks she can get me this warranty for free i guess? all i know is im not paying butloads extra for nonsense. its my call anyways. as for the warranty, i brought that up, how is it possible, still seems to good to be true, ill let them do what they want, im expecting to void my warranty anyways.

if i get this extended crap at no extra cost and a letter and crap, i dont think it matters too much, i was expecting to void my warranty anyways getting it tuned, so if push comes to shove and im not covered on something, oh well big whup i wasnt expecting to be anyways lol.

#27 ·
They are trying to sell you on the warranty becausew it's not the dealership that will deny you the claim... it's hyundai canada, and they will.
They want you to buy the warranty because it's money for them.
I cancelled mine 2 days after I put my order in and they didn't even try to convince me to keep it when I told them I plan to mod the car.

this is what I believe anyway

#28 ·
i didnt even end up getting it because "the owner wasnt around" and they ****ed up my badges, called em a month before it was to arrive, they wanted me to email a pic of what i wanted (wing badges) my sales guy, the only competent person i liked at this dealer, prints out my email and attached picture and gives it to service department. day before delivery at like 5pm service department tells him they never even ordered it..... me: Sooo much rage!!!! they were supposed to have ordered them today, gonna call tomorrow, if they are still not ordered tell em to forget it, and dont ever expect to see my car again. probably try preformance hyundai. i just dont want knockoff cheap ones that are adhesive only, keep hearing of too many people having them fall off, and id rather have genuine parts for the only two badges on the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.