Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I bought a genesis coupe from the salvage and I bought all the parts so I can fix it and pass the inspection but when I started working on the vehicle I noticed that the headlight screw tabs on my driver side were broken is there a way to fix it, or can u buy a replacement? I simply can’t afford to buy another light they are very expensive.

thank you.

·
Premium Member
15,695 Posts
Hey guys

I bought a genesis coupe from the salvage and I bought all the parts so I can fix it and pass the inspection but when I started working on the vehicle I noticed that the headlight screw tabs on my driver side were broken is there a way to fix it, or can u buy a replacement? I simply can’t afford to buy another light they are very expensive.

thank you.
What year and pics of damage?

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium 6MT - Silverstone
177 Posts
I would just take the broken piece off, remove the old bolt and file down the roughness from where it broke off the housing.
It isn't structural and it still has 1 tab hold it on.
It isn't going anywhere with how tight the BK1 headlight fitment is.

Take it to the shop and hope they won't notice or care.

·
Premium Member
15,695 Posts
I would just take the broken piece off, remove the old bolt and file down the roughness from where it broke off the housing.
It isn't structural and it still has 1 tab hold it on.
It isn't going anywhere with how tight the BK1 headlight fitment is.

Take it to the shop and hope they won't notice or care.
I don't think you understand... those are both on the driver side headlight.
Besides friction, each headlight is only held in by 2x 10mm bolts, which in the photo shows both being broken.

SKOLS, I would just pay for a new/used OEM headlight from ebay.

In comparing the angle of the headlight in relation to the tab, and then comparing to the second photo... You might need to also by a radiator support...
I wouldn't get a radiator support just yet though. Just get a good headlight and put it in first, to see if things are fine, or aren't angled right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Besides friction, each headlight is only held in by 2x 10mm bolts, which in the photo shows both being broken.

In comparing the angle of the headlight in relation to the tab, and then comparing to the second photo... You might need to also by a radiator support...
I wouldn't get a radiator support just yet though. Just get a good headlight and put it in first, to see if things are fine, or aren't angled right.
I already bought a rad support the only thing left is the headlight so that’s my problem here

·
Premium Member
15,695 Posts
I already bought a rad support the only thing left is the headlight so that’s my problem here
You can try using epoxy on the tab in the second photo... but from my experience, gluing together what basically is a butt joint, doesn't hold for long.
Another thing you can do, along with epoxy, is get some scrap aluminum, and trim it to fit in this area, rough up the gluing surfaces and epoxy it that way.
Can probably be able to get away with doing the same thing in the first photo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can try using epoxy on the tab in the second photo... but from my experience, gluing together what basically is a butt joint, doesn't hold for long.
Another thing you can do, along with epoxy, is get some scrap aluminum, and trim it to fit in this area, rough up the gluing surfaces and epoxy it that way.
Can probably be able to get away with doing the same thing in the first photo.

View attachment 76917
Ok I’ll try some of those thank you very much

·
Premium Member
15,695 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts

I missed the second tab being broken, that is my bad. I thought it was just the one tab.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,033 Posts
Might look crappy but you could probably use some rolled pipe strap, the kind with holes to make a strip to secure it.

I've found if they aren't set just right when you tighten the bolts it will affect the headlight alignment quite a bit.

They have copper if you want to upscale.....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Might look crappy but you could probably use some rolled pipe strap, the kind with holes to make a strip to secure it.

I've found if they aren't set just right when you tighten the bolts it will affect the headlight alignment quite a bit.

I mean, I am sure it is easily paintable.
You can also powder coat it if you are so inclined...

·
Premium Member
15,695 Posts

strapping costs more than a flat bar of aluminum from the hardware/hobby store. A foot x inch section costs like $3~$5?
aluminum is easier to shape... (for those thinking, what about the cost of tools... you shape/file it with a rock... :p)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts