Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Big Poppa
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So before I start let me say I completely understand that doing the wastegate mod with a tune was a bad idea but I was incredibly tempted and power hungry to try it. Here is a quick overview of my cars info:
2012 GC
A/T transmission
Short ram intake for now (ordered the aem cold air)
FMIC (ordered coming in)
Downpipe
Megan racing exhaust
SFR stage 1.25 tune (yes 1.25, Jay did not have the 1.5 available for the automatic but he gave me a slightly more aggressive canned tune than just the regular stage 1)

So I removed the actuator mod and put it to stock before the tune and let me say this car stock with the auto transmission at least is dead slow. After the tune I immediately felt the difference in response and how well it held boost. Before with the actuator mod my psi would go up to 15 psi and it would climb down pretty fast but gave it a big kick. with the tune I noticed when your in the right gear and punching it all the way it kept the boost completely steady at 14.5 psi and held it there for power all the way through the gears. Now, for the price of 500$ the difference in my butt dyno was almost nothing. The care overall felt like it was the same but because it held the boost it was more efficient with power delivery.

I got home and decided to risk throwing my car into limp mode and gave it 2 180 degree turns. So basically if you read the thread on how to do the mod it was one complete turn. After that, my car felt like it was on STEROIDS. The car is an animal now. If im in the right gear and my foot touches the gas the car is almost BEGGING to be floored. The power is amazing compared to before. For the sake of being a little more safe Im gonna hold off on abusing the car untill the FMIC (mishimoto) and the aem cold air in take come in. But overall Jay is an amazing person to work with and does a great job. I highly recommend his tune. Thanks again to SFR!:bowdown:

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
i'd go and buy a atp or forged wastegate cap the stock solenoid and run straight wastegate

·
Big Poppa
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please clarify lol I have no idea what that means. I'm not too much of an expert when it comes to turbos =[

·
240SX turned GC
1,176 Posts
careful of AFR, at that psi ur risking leaning out, ur ECU is used to what the tunes limits are, not the actual scenario ur car is in... however i have been tempted to increase mine too

my tune maxes at 18psi however, whats ur peak?

·
240SX turned GC
1,176 Posts
also u are local dude i am in gdale lol

·
Big Poppa
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol I know what color is your car? I'm surprised I haven't seen you. I peak at 17.5 psi. Because auto does spike but it stays just under 18.

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
If you don't understand wastegates or have a a/f gauge then don't adjust your wategate arm or change it. done incorrectly you can cause engine to pop or wastegate and turbo to damage, or both

·
240SX turned GC
1,176 Posts
mine is white buddy
what about u?

·
Big Poppa
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Jay can you clarify in simple terms what can actually happen and how? And what are the chances of something going wrong? Everything seems perfect. My max boost only goes up to 17.5 even with it spiking.

·
lackadaisical
2,524 Posts
Hey Jay can you clarify in simple terms what can actually happen and how? And what are the chances of something going wrong? Everything seems perfect. My max boost only goes up to 17.5 even with it spiking.
Famous last words?

·
Big Poppa
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If someone could tell me exactly how I'm damaging the car by doing this with a tune I would appreciate it so much.

·
240SX turned GC
1,176 Posts
Lol seto I just realized it's you! Dude its me Emin haha blue gen coupe. Wow that was funny.
LOL thats funny

dude, dont do it man, everythings perfect till u put a hole in ur block, your playing with fire

if the freakin guy who sold u the tune says dont do it, lol i probably wouldnt

·
Big Poppa
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went 24k miles when I was stock ecu with the actuator maxed out. Isn't it the same idea? With the tune I was only boosting 16 psi. Same as I was with the stock ecu and the mod. Except it would drop with the mod and stock ecu. With the tune it just held it at 16. Now it peaks at 17.5 and maybe drops a little to 16ish.

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
I went 24k miles when I was stock ecu with the actuator maxed out. Isn't it the same idea? With the tune I was only boosting 16 psi. Same as I was with the stock ecu and the mod. Except it would drop with the mod and stock ecu. With the tune it just held it at 16. Now it peaks at 17.5 and maybe drops a little to 16ish.
yes but runnign the stock tune to 15psi on stock tune, and running a moddified tune ecu to it's max is a difference. This is not safe unless you know 100% how and wat you are doing. the fact that you need to ask means you shouldn't, you'd being pushing the turbo to it's efficiency limit and getting hard boost spike that can cause surge

·
240SX turned GC
1,176 Posts
IIRC volumetric efficiency of the stock turbo is like 19-20, anymore then that and ur blowing hot air, id take it up with jay, if your reflash is only hitting 16psi somethings up, mine peaks at 18 and tapers down to about 14-15
maybe autos run different...
The PSI isnt the issue, its ur AFR, even if u lean out at 5psi, your leaning out at 5 times atmospheric pressure, thats enough to grenade ur engine, if ur gnna tamper with the WG, get a AFR gauge to make sure u dont blow something. or just get an appropiate tune.

·
Premium Member
8,244 Posts
?? I am not sure how conversation turns other way but em1turbo you shouldn't be worrying about anything with current set up and tune.
I wouldn't give anything too much to damage your motor looking at your car in a first place.
17psi-18psi should be the peak you should be seeing (it may spike little more depends on the weather and what gear you are in.. also your car being AT it may jumps during the shifiting).
You don't have to worry about about a thing.

Turning wastegate cause more of limp mode because ECU would think your car is overboosting than what you are really boosting.
Having stiffer actuator will up too much boost on top of the boost we've already set with the tune. I do have experience tuning those wastegates and they do not mix well at all with just canned tune unless it's custom.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts