Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, as the title states, I am looking for some information about doing an engine rebuild. I am sorry for this being a lengthy article but I was hoping to get all my questions answered in one place without making 10 different posts. I will give you a little back story first of all. I bought a 2010 Genesis coupe 2.0t about 9 months ago with 92,000km on it. It had a forge BOV, cold air intake, aftermarket exhaust and an aftermarket inter-cooler (not sure of the brand if that matters), as well as a stock ecu and a tuned ecu. when i bought the car it had the tuned ecu on it and i noticed there was some oil on the side of the engine where the turbo and BOV are. The seller told me that the oil was just coming out of the BOV and that it was normal because it doesn't have a catch can so i believed him. After about 10-15,000 of driving i noticed the car was using considerably more oil. Which leads me to my first point

1) should there be ANY oil at all coming out of the BOV when it opens? even just a mist?

2) does a catch can really do that much of a difference and should i get one or are they a waste of money?

I did a compression test and found that my engine has low compression (not terribly bad on 2 cylinders but at the point where i was getting worried on the other 2 cylinders) so i immediately put the stock ecu back on so that it wouldn't boost the engine as high and hopefully i could prolong the life of the engine until i could find another vehicle to drive until i can get my engine rebuilt. I did install a boost gauge and with the stock ecu i think the highest i ever saw was maybe 13-14psi and with the tune i think i was getting closer to 19-21psi. As soon as i got a different vehicle that i could drive until i get my engine rebuilt i parked the Genesis and there it waits for the motor to be rebuilt. So now i have some more questions for all you guys out there.

3)When i rebuild the engine i am thinking about doing the .5mm increased size pistons/rings as they are the same price as the stock size pistons/rings, will this help the engine handle the boost of the tune better and give me better performance when it is only .5mm? and yes i have done my research and learned that i will want to get aftermarket connecting rods as well seeing as I am inside the motor anyway (better safe than sorry)

4)Will OEM bearing be fine for a rebuild or should i get aftermarket bearings?

5) Would it be recommended that i get heavier valves and valve springs if I am running near 20psi boost?

6) At what point of building a performance engine does a person know when they need to upgrade injectors? i have been looking into this and have found 550cc, 750cc, and all the way upward of 1000cc injectors. I would like to know if it would be required of me to install something bigger like the 550cc injectors or if the stock will work fine for me as i do not want to be running too lean or too rich and risk having to rebuild in another 100,000km.

7) finally for my last question: Is there any way to tell what tune is on my car and what else i might need to do in order to fully support the tune? whether it is stage 1,1.5, or 2? (i doubt it would be 3)
the tune has 1:1 throttle (no cruise), 4000RPM launch control, higher rev limiter and higher speed governor, and obviously allows for higher boost.

Any help would be great. If you can answer all my questions thats perfect, if you can only answer one or two questions that helps too. Thank you in advance for the help of your knowledge.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I get a mist from my Turbo XS non RFL BOV. I also run 1 catch can. In the warm weather I don't get much "residue" at all. In the cold, like now, it fills up about every couple weeks. I check it weekly. And, I happen to have a brand new Mishimoto catch can, with the accessories for sale. If interested, hit me up.

ominousone

1 - 2 of 2 Posts