Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I've talked it over with my family.

The new 2013 Veloster Turbo in Marathon Blue
will be delivered tomorrow. Now that we have 3 New Vehicles
and 2 Garage spaces.
My family is all about getting a lift on my side..

Questions..

How do I go about getting one?

Price ranges?

Are they hard to setup or install?

Who knows about them?

My family thinks it's just because we have 3 New Vehicles and 2 Garage spaces...
But secretly I want it to work under the car. hehe..

Can anyone provide guidance?

I know this seems extreme.. But please. lets stay on topic and not get crazy with this..

I'm attaching the picture that inspired this...

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
So the Veloster will be your Supra and the Genesis will be your R33? :door:

People don't typically install lifts to store their Hyundai's..... but i'm all up for seeing it done!!!

Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the Veloster will be your Supra and the Genesis will be your R33? :door:

People don't typically install lifts to store their Hyundai's..... but i'm all up for seeing it done!!!

Best of luck!
Thanks man! If you know anyone with intel on how to go about doing this please let us all know.

Hey man, It may be a Hyundai but I love it. Way more than I ever thought i would!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Yea, basically you better have about 6-8 Inch of solid concrete, they say 4-6 but that is not enough. Really need to look into your foundation that is your first step. What kind of mix is the concrete, tensile strength. Then from there pick a accordingly lift.

·
240SX turned GC
1,176 Posts
I would find who makes those lifts, or just go to a mechanic shop and ask around, im sure they can tell u where they got theres. Just so you know, I have operated an identical one in that picture, and with one person it will take a quite a few minutes to setup/lift especially if you are lowered

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, basically you better have about 6-8 Inch of solid concrete, they say 4-6 but that is not enough. Really need to look into your foundation that is your first step. What kind of mix is the concrete, tensile strength. Then from there pick a accordingly lift.
WOW, Jason, thank you so much, I never would have thought of that.. Our house is 33 years old. So, I definitely need to look into that!

I would find who makes those lifts, or just go to a mechanic shop and ask around, im sure they can tell u where they got theres. Just so you know, I have operated an identical one in that picture, and with one person it will take a quite a few minutes to setup/lift especially if you are lowered
I'm going to start with my local shops and work from there.. Great advice. We get some really nasty winters here and I don't want to leave the cars out.. I guess I have a lot of questions to look into about make and model of lift.

·
Registered
307 Posts
http://m.challengerlifts.com/ my work uses challenger lifts. We haven't had any problems at all. Just what was mentioned above. You need a lot of concrete as an anchor

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just checked with the guy who's family built my house.. He said 4.5" concrete foundation in the garage.. I hope that's enough..

Boro thanks I will check it..

·
Registered
307 Posts
Check out the cl4p9! It looks like the lift your looking for, basicly for storing but with plenty of room to work on it from below and it doesn't have to be bolted down

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any idea what they run?

·
Premium Member
13,004 Posts
Can be done for $1500 for the lift and to solve the foundation issue, you drill out a section of your foundation where you're going to mount it and drill out a 4ft by 1 ft hole on both sides. When you buy your lift you get an extra 6 inches below the feet of steel or buy the kind for building installs, they have footers that are designed to be cast into the foundation of new dealerships and shops.

Before you go drilling into your garage foundation though, check with your municipality to make sure you're not going to hit a gas, water or sewer line. If you have ground fed power check with the power company to make sure your power doesn't run under there either.

That CL4P9 is a good storage stand, but I'd still fix it to the floor.

·
I drive a V6
4,978 Posts
Ive installed one. They go for about 2500-3000. Easy to install, just have a few guys to help as the parts are heavy as hell. There are 2 ways to install, ideal is to bolt into concrete however they can include steel framing for the bottom that ties it together so no drilling required (thats how we set it up). Framing creates a cage structure.

Hydraulic versions usually cost a bit more than the mechanical units.

·
Timbit Biter
1,775 Posts
How high is the ceiling in your garage? If you have a garage door the rolls up on a track, is there enough room for both cars under the garage door when it is up?

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ive installed one. They go for about 2500-3000. Easy to install, just have a few guys to help as the parts are heavy as hell. There are 2 ways to install, ideal is to bolt into concrete however they can include steel framing for the bottom that ties it together so no drilling required (thats how we set it up). Framing creates a cage structure.

Hydraulic versions usually cost a bit more than the mechanical units.

Thank you.. That's reassuring. I think I'd want it as secure as possible..

Can be done for $1500 for the lift and to solve the foundation issue, you drill out a section of your foundation where you're going to mount it and drill out a 4ft by 1 ft hole on both sides. When you buy your lift you get an extra 6 inches below the feet of steel or buy the kind for building installs, they have footers that are designed to be cast into the foundation of new dealerships and shops.

Before you go drilling into your garage foundation though, check with your municipality to make sure you're not going to hit a gas, water or sewer line. If you have ground fed power check with the power company to make sure your power doesn't run under there either.

That CL4P9 is a good storage stand, but I'd still fix it to the floor.

Snoop, That sounds intense. lol I'd want to make it as secure as possible. But I think our budget is going to be about 5K max wanting to keep it in the 2-3K range if we can. I've got plenty of friends and man power to help install.

Also, I was 1 of 2 houses in this neighborhood when it was built.. Nothing underneath ;) I watched it get laid. hehe.. Thank you.

How high is the ceiling in your garage? If you have a garage door the rolls up on a track, is there enough room for both cars under the garage door when it is up?

Torsen, There is an attic above, unused. The ceiling is pretty high but we can cut and go up if need be. Most likely will need a new garage door solution if the need arises to go higher. This is going to turn into a big project!

---

Side not guys.. I wrote an email to challanger lifts! So we shall what they say.. I guess now we wait...

·
Premium Member
13,004 Posts
When I was pricing mine out, it was about 3k installed in Canada, using footing anchors. It's about $300 for the cement, it was $15-1800 for the unit and the rest was to install it since I'm only right handed.

·
I drive a V6
4,978 Posts
keep in mind these lifts are best for storage. They dont leave much room for working underneath and the car is sitting on its wheels.

BTW, it is just as secure without drilling the concrete if the proper bracing is used.

The one I installed supported an Exige over an F430 without any issues.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts