Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I was thinking about engine swap in the future and wondered if new 3.3T engine Hyundai/Kia uses on GEN sedan and stinger can be mounted on our gen coupe.

Anybody thinking about doing this?

I thought about it a lot and instead of putting 2jz or ls engine,
wanted to stay with Korean products.

KDM all the way~ lol.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
How attached are you ?

Any time you start talking motor swap you invoke $$$$$.

Are you so attached to your actual vehicle you are willing to do this? The 3.3T in its current form is not really a monster. The SFR guy did a video and highlighted it. True he could tune it as well but it is at a 278 ish.

Bringing a different type of motor brings with it costs that you cant even imagine right now. **I just say this to illuminate the playing field. If thats what you want to do, more power to ya !:wink:

As far as bang for the buck any 2013-2016 3.8 is where its at. The 3.8 is a great motor. Even stock innards one can turn her into a 525 at the crank for "not that much". I just did it. For a total layout, (including buying the Gen 3.8), for under 24K. Now done, I'm still "not done".

While enjoying this thing which is as fast as I could want, I can ponder my own 3.8 BK2 shortblock build over time. Hows 750-1000 for you.

·
shorttrack
1,693 Posts
Any time you start talking motor swap you invoke $$$$$.

Are you so attached to your actual vehicle you are willing to do this? The 3.3T in its current form is not really a monster. The SFR guy did a video and highlighted it. True he could tune it as well but it is at a 278 ish. >>>>> !!!!!!WRONG,TWIN TURBO 3.3 V6 is doing 365 hp @ whp ,the turbo 4 cyl version is doing 278 @ the whp.!!!!!<<<<<<

Bringing a different type of motor brings with it costs that you cant even imagine right now. **I just say this to illuminate the playing field. If thats what you want to do, more power to ya !:wink:

As far as bang for the buck any 2013-2016 3.8 is where its at. The 3.8 is a great motor. Even stock innards one can turn her into a 525 at the crank for "not that much". I just did it. For a total layout, (including buying the Gen 3.8), for under 24K. Now done, I'm still "not done".

While enjoying this thing which is as fast as I could want, I can ponder my own 3.8 BK2 shortblock build over time. Hows 750-1000 for you.
3.3 tt is at 365 whp , with very minor modding the 3.3 TT has already ringed out 400 whp (to the rear wheels) .The 4cyl turbo puts out 270 something to the rear wheels.Check your facts .

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
3.3 tt is at 365 whp , with very minor modding the 3.3 TT has already ringed out 400 whp (to the rear wheels) .The 4cyl turbo puts out 270 something to the rear wheels.Check your facts .
Hey, I just got the understanding from his video,..not quoting any facts. It was the SFR guy. Maybe I mis understood him and it was the smaller displacement.

That would sound more "approriate" for the displacement and all the hardware it has....

Even sourcing that powerplant would be expensive.

·
shorttrack
1,693 Posts
Hey, I just got the understanding from his video,..not quoting any facts. It was the SFR guy. Maybe I mis understood him and it was the smaller displacement.

That would sound more "approriate" for the displacement and all the hardware it has....

Even sourcing that powerplant would be expensive.
I agree, sourcing a pretty much new/expensive engine from a just released platform entails the need for all other supporting items such as wire harness,ECU ,etc,etc .Then the need to figure out tranny usage for the build .Although doable , it would be very costly for net gains .The Genesis Coupe's GDI and 2008 -2012 V6 can net from 400 to 700 whp in proper tuned(turbo) form without breaking the bank . In the future I will go the route of building my GDI in a normally aspirated build and turn the my N20 up and re map my N20 controller accordingly .

·
shorttrack
1,693 Posts
A Hyundai Genesis Coupe's built to 500-700 whp with supporting build items (rods,pistons and etc.) would much less costly than a 500-700 whp engine swap .unless a person has a donor car/drivetrain from another brand .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts