Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to hear from people who have installed an aftermarket clutch with the stock flywheel.

How is it holding up?
How many mileage do you have on the setup?
What clutch did you go with?

*I don't want this thread to turn into a "replace your flywheel". It has already been covered.

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Sex Machine
1,514 Posts
replace ur flywheel :p

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
I think Renzo088 reused his. May want to shoot him a PM. IIRC, Quartermaster said the OEM clutch is not supposed to be resurfaced but they did it on a V6 and it's holding up fine.

FWIW I would just replace it while you're in there, as others have said.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I reused mine, with a clutchmasters stage 1

No issues except It doesn't slip anymore :)
so far, Its like this with a BR stage 3 turbo for 4k miles.
I'll report back any issues should they arise

Others have done the same as well with stock flywheel and Clutchmasters clutch. Adamantine is using the stage 3 with stock flywheel

·
Sex Machine
1,514 Posts

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
I need a clutch soon... Any more input on this? Will prob re use my stock flywheel

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
I reused the factory flywheel Clutchmasters FX400; it makes due for now, but I will be replacing the factory DMF with a SMF asap

·
Registered
133 Posts
yea i would like more info on people using a aftermarket clutch with factory flywheel...with someone like myself and many others only planning for mild power increases i dont think its essential to replace the flywheel...

·
With teeth.
1,138 Posts
less chatter, noise, easier engagement from a stop... but you already know that :p

·
Banned
7,214 Posts
replace your flywheel.

Clutchmasters resurfaced the OEM DMF on the V6 car, but recently I've felt it begin to show signs of slipping after less than a thousand miles.

You'll be able to make do and it will operate safely, ergo your flywheel won't shatter in motion (thats bad btw) but its going to need replacement pretty shortly. If you James Bond the car routinely, street race or track the car frequently, REPLACE YOUR FLYWHEEL.

Your dual mass doorstop is preventing you from actually being able to launch the car, why bother leaving it on the car?

·
Lord Stig
6,676 Posts
Ah... IDK. I wanna know too.

Just there is not one else on here as mad as I am on the car. I'm just gonna replace the clutch and leave the stock flywheel on for now.

I'll let everyone else know as soon as I get the clutch in. You'll all know within a day or maybe hours of after having it installed, how the stock fly wheel will hold up. The new clutch is going to get one hell of a "welcome to el_stig's car, you're now in hell!" Can't wait.

·
Premium Member
16,006 Posts
i thought having a higher rated pressure plate would be more beneficial than replacing the flywheel as far as slipping goes.

thats what we did with the old nissan L28s.
We would just swap the pressure plate from the 280zx 2+2 and stick it in the coupe and call it a day.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I reused the factory flywheel Clutchmasters FX400; it makes due for now, but I will be replacing the factory DMF with a SMF asap
are u goin to replace it because your having problems out of it or you just want the smf so you can launch better/up the power more??

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just plan on sticking with the BR tune, so paying $1k for a flywheel that I probably don't need isn't worth it. I also don't drive my car very hard as i'm usually stuck in traffic in the morning and in the evening during the week. Only replacing the flywheel because the clutch is slipping (even with the stock tune).

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
are u goin to replace it because your having problems out of it or you just want the smf so you can launch better/up the power more??
The driveability with the dmf and clutch combo is a mess lol. But I was planning on doing a smf down the road anyways.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I just want to hear from people who have installed an aftermarket clutch with the stock flywheel.

How is it holding up?
How many mileage do you have on the setup?
What clutch did you go with?

*I don't want this thread to turn into a "replace your flywheel". It has already been covered.

Thanks,
Kevin
Ive been thinking about this. Suppose you got a brand new Genni right off the truck. It seems to me that replacing the clutch disc IMMEDIATLY might be a good idea if you plan on doing anything to it,but don't want to replace the flywheel,the thought being,fresh off the truck,its a brand new flywheel.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My thought exactly. I'm going to be installing my clutch on the stock flywheel and see how it goes. I'm not hard on my car, just like to push it once in a while. Plus, my stock clutch is slipping on the OEM clutch, so I need to replace it either way.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Ah... IDK. I wanna know too.

Just there is not one else on here as mad as I am on the car. I'm just gonna replace the clutch and leave the stock flywheel on for now.

I'll let everyone else know as soon as I get the clutch in. You'll all know within a day or maybe hours of after having it installed, how the stock fly wheel will hold up. The new clutch is going to get one hell of a "welcome to el_stig's car, you're now in hell!" Can't wait.

break it in first 500 miles!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts