Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone my names Magen
I will be buying a Gen coupe come august for my 21st bday, I traded in my 04 tiburon on an 09 Camry to help me build credit till then :)
Anyways I am stuck on what kind of Gen I want, so I need some serious opinions on the models an which everyone thinks is better.
I am either going for the 2012-2013 model but can't decide if the 2.0t, 3.8, or the Rspec is better so give me some advice on which I should choise .
Like what all ptobs have you had out of each which is more reliable an runs better things like that, thanks :)

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Welcome! It really all depends on what you want to do with the car, if you want to modify the engine and make soemthing that goes fast buy the 2.0T, they are way easier to mod and take better to mods than t he 3.8. If you want to do mostly cosmetic mods but still want a fast "Ish" car that you dont want to mess with mechanically then buy the 3.8. I dont believe there are any really problems with these cars apart from some rattles here and there. The R-spec models are also Stick shift and the 2.0T has been known to have some grinding issues with the tranny. Not everyone but its well known

Hope that novel helped ya! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks it really did I may go with the 3.8 then :p an I didn't know the rspec was only manual guess that's off my list haha. Which body style do you prefer better 12 or 13?

Sent from my C5170 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Thanks it really did I may go with the 3.8 then :p an I didn't know the rspec was only manual guess that's off my list haha. Which body style do you prefer better 12 or 13?

Personally i like the 1st Generation Gen. But you cant let that hinder your decision. And yes the R-Spec is only manual so dont get that one if you cant drive stick!! Lol. I would go test drive both 09-12 3.8 and the 13 3.8. The older v6 made 305HP at the crank i believe, the new V6 makes 350HP and is also Direct injection. so there will be a noticable difference with that.

Glad i could help by the way :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeh thanks so much! I'm wanting the 3.8 2013 Gen coupe just hope my monthly payment an insurance won't be to rough lol

·
Registered
374 Posts
Welcome! I'm sure you'll love whichever one you get. I got a base 2.0T a few weeks ago and am loving every second of driving it so far. I'm only 23 and even with listing a parent as a primary driver on the insurance until I turn 25 I'm still paying $133 a month for the insurance haha.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I went to the Hyundai lit an got looking at the 2013 3.8's an 2.0T an I'm prob going with 2.0 just cause there ALOT cheaper lol

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Well I went to the Hyundai lit an got looking at the 2013 3.8's an 2.0T an I'm prob going with 2.0 just cause there ALOT cheaper lol

Nothing wrong with that!! the new 2.0T's make almost as much as the 1st generation Gencoupe. Plus you can make them make way cooler noises than the 3.8 :D :D NOW BUY EEEETTT

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome! It really all depends on what you want to do with the car, if you want to modify the engine and make soemthing that goes fast buy the 2.0T, they are way easier to mod and take better to mods than t he 3.8. If you want to do mostly cosmetic mods but still want a fast "Ish" car that you dont want to mess with mechanically then buy the 3.8. I dont believe there are any really problems with these cars apart from some rattles here and there. The R-spec models are also Stick shift and the 2.0T has been known to have some grinding issues with the tranny. Not everyone but its well known

Hope that novel helped ya! :)
:gc-smiley-sign-i-ag

·
Registered
71 Posts

:gc-smiley-sign-i-ag

I mean what I did is pretty much the same. The only difference is I had to have a Manual Transmission so I took the R-Spec for a little more. You will love your 2.0t plus the 2013 model is suppose to have 250-270hp and that is more than enough to get you in and out of traffic.

Enjoy and welcome to the Forum!
:D

·
Coop
389 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and Good Luck with your purchase

·
Modified Passion Car Club
255 Posts
Welcome to the forums first place to look around is the exterior forums and the regional area where you live forum to meet and hang with other GC lovers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wouldn't get the rspec personally. I have the track and love the cruise control, sunroof and navi.

·
Womp Womp
342 Posts
Hi, everyone my names Magen
I will be buying a Gen coupe come august for my 21st bday, I traded in my 04 tiburon on an 09 Camry to help me build credit till then :)
Anyways I am stuck on what kind of Gen I want, so I need some serious opinions on the models an which everyone thinks is better.
I am either going for the 2012-2013 model but can't decide if the 2.0t, 3.8, or the Rspec is better so give me some advice on which I should choise .
Like what all ptobs have you had out of each which is more reliable an runs better things like that, thanks :)
I went with the base 2013 2.0T. I didn't want nor need the extra bells and whistles with the higher trims, and I wanted to mod it so I went with the 2.0T over the 3.8. The car runs great, runs better with the tune and mods added, and I love it. It has more than enough pep to it in stock form to be fun.

One thing to keep in mind with the 2013 2.0T is that a lot of them seem to have a rattle coming from the wastegate on the turbo between certain RPMs. It doesn't hurt the performance of the car, but it can be rather annoying and cheap sounding.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Welcome to the Gencoupe family! I would say from your description of what you want, I feel like you would probably enjoy the 2.0T based off the fact that yes it is a lot cheaper and I love my 2012 2.0T!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts