Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi peeps, Italian living in Korea here, been following this forum for about 3 years now and I have learnt a lot about these cars.
Finally purchased a 2012 bk2 380 gt-r, 8 speed auto, full options, black on black.

The car drives good, and it's in good condition overall, 1 owner and 128k km no crashes....
It is completely OEM for now. Doing an ECU flash, axle back exhaust and paint OEM wheels in gunmetal gray next week.

I bought the best one I could find. For some reason here in Korea it's very rare for 2015 or 2016 bk2 to come up for sale.

Unfortunately the workmanship here is pretty ****, very few good technicians and shops.
The dealer where I bought it did an oil change but after 50km I almost lost the drain plug, fkng idiots....

Anyway happy to finally post my ride here, will upload better pictures once I get it all sorted and detailed, I literally just got it 2 days ago.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Welcome, it looks like you found a very nice example. I have essentially the same car just a 2014 model. I thought 2013 was the first year for the BK2? Congrats on your new ride, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, bud. In Korea bk2 started being produced in 2011.
bk1 2009-2011
bk2 2011-2016

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
That was going to be my guess. I bet there's some cool stuff available in Korea that isn't available in the states. Feel free to tease us with "unobtanium". 😁

·
Premium Member
16,119 Posts
That was going to be my guess. I bet there's some cool stuff available in Korea that isn't available in the states. Feel free to tease us with "unobtanium". 😁
Not really.

The car culture in korea is way different than elsewhere outside of the country.
Doing anything to modify the engine performance is pretty much grounds to repo the car by the gov, unless it's a sanctioned by the manufacturer.

So nobody really does anything to their cars, unless it's interior/exterior stuff.

I know. My cousin has an independent shop outside of seoul and all they do is maintenance stuff and custom paint.
People in korea can do legally is suspension, tranny, and diff swaps, since it doesn't touch emissions.

Well that's how it was explained to me by my cousin... but~ if it looks like it's a factory part....

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I heard that on a car show here in the states, but they also said that it was starting to change, I guess because they discovered there's money to be made, you tell them what mod your going to do and they issue you some type of "permit" as long as they approve the mod. Probably can't get approval for anything that affects emissions though.

·
Premium Member
16,119 Posts
Trust me. Korea is even worse than CARB.

And almost no one wants to do their own work, which means they would take it to a shop.
... but shops don't want the ban hammer of the korean gov coming down on their heads, for putting on illegal parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Korean car culture is not huge but they do love their sedans lol.
For mods police don't care at all so you can do virtually anything you want.
And the MOT every 4-2 years can just be passed if you know people.

The problem can be civilians reporting you... people here get paid by the govt to snitch.

They take pics of modded cars and bikes and send them to the govt, then they'll send a warning or a fine to you.

And yes people here take their cars to shops... and most shops are pretty **** too.

Unfortunately like most of you guys in the US we usually don't have garages, driveways or anywhere to work on the car if you live in the city.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Very interesting, I love to hear about car culture, or culture in general from other parts of the world first hand from people who live it.👍

·
Premium Member
16,119 Posts
Unfortunately like most of you guys in the US we usually don't have garages, driveways or anywhere to work on the car if you live in the city.
pretty much the same culture in taiwan... but doesn't stop them from doing their own work, where ever lol
I have a looong story about this when I was there, with my friend's dad being an idiot. At the time it was annoying, but in retrospect, pretty funny.

Also, good luck trying to find a shop with a dyno. Space is limited in korea, and just about all shops don't see it as an investment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pretty much the same culture in taiwan... but doesn't stop them from doing their own work, where ever lol
I have a looong story about this when I was there, with my friend's dad being an idiot. At the time it was annoying, but in retrospect, pretty funny.

Also, good luck trying to find a shop with a dyno. Space is limited in korea, and just about all shops don't see it as an investment.
Never been Taiwan so I'll trust you on that!

Luckily I've been redirected to some really good shop that has dyno too, they'll do the flash and everything.

Some pics of the undergoing servicing. Painted wheels gunmetal.
More to come.

·
Registered
15' 380GT BK2 M/T Caspian Black ;P
30 Posts
Welcome to the ranch, much love brother. Here's your mandatory firearm.

strokes footlong unkempt beard

1 - 12 of 12 Posts