Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so i have a base 2013 2.0t manual with 68k miles. My turbo is on its last legs so im looking for a cheaper ported turbo. The one ive been looking at is the stage 2 from 3 point 8 performance. Has anyone actually purchased this turbo? I want about 300 whp, my modifications are aem intake, XS turbo stealthback 02 housing and downpipe with a custom 3inch the rest of the way back, and a forge motorsport BOV. With my new turbo (would like to keep stock manifold and injectors) im also getting a alphaspeed custom tune (or canned im not sure whats best for my setup). Im not trying to do anything crazy its my daily after all but any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Best advice I think I could give is contact your tuner and ask these questions as well. Forums are great places for information, and with some searching you will find tons of options. But milage varies, so take everything with a grain of salt. Many of these tuners what happy customer's they aren't always looking to sell big turbos for all applications.

A canned 1.5 stage tune from SFR and similar mods to what you described my 2013 2.0T was around 264 WHP for me whereas Hyundai advertises 274 HP at the crank on 93. Now I had several factors which could have made this a bit lower than my average, including a diff bolt that snapped on me. Point being a custom tune might squeeze another 10-20 WHP out, so just talk to your tuner about it.

I believe some have come very close to the 300whp mark on the stock BK2 turbo, but you really do start loosing efficiency. While larger than the BK1 turbo and running higher boost, its already pretty close to its air flow limits. I believe some have even discussed changing the exhaust housing on the stock turbo to squeeze some more out of it. Again, talk to Alphaspeed or 3 point 8 performance and see what they think of that power goal with the stock turbo.

Speaking from experience a turbo swap is no walk in the park. Granted this is the first time doing it, but I am so fortunate to have a lot of friends to help. I'm nearing the end of my build but I have several long term goals with around 400whp for now and towards 600 later after an engine build. If my goal was only 300 WHP I would have done everything I could to stick to the stock turbo and just work on squeezing what I could out of it.

Also I have my OEM turbo turbo with 62K miles on it and it wasn't on its last legs. Something happen to yours? If you are interested in a spare/second to send off somewhere for porting or to make the swap process a bit easier let me know. Trying to recoup cost anywhere I can. I also have a newer BK 2 turbo with around 32K miles on it out of a junked automatic. One sensor/plug has some bent pins, but otherwise it is in good shape. Can provide pictures.

sorry about the plug, sometimes these get more hits than the classified posts these days

1 - 2 of 2 Posts