Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I bought a 2011 3.8 GT brand new I was involved in an accident with the vehicle in 2013, It was a hit and run. At the time of the accident I did not know that I had a suspended drivers license, because of this my insurance company would not pay anything out to repair the vehicle.. I did not have the money to get it repaired either. So for the next bunch of years I kept on paying for the vehicle because I could not junk it without a title.

I managed to get the vehicle out from where I had it stored. It has been next to my house covered for the past 8 years. It does need quite a bit of work to fix, it is fixable. I am unsure if I should fix it or if I should part the thing out. The car has 23,000ish miles on the clock.

Th left side head is cracked, I do not know if I need to replace the engine or just the head, I have checked to see if a piston smacked a valve or not. Where it is cracked (broken more then cracked) is at the top of the head where the timing chain is. The chain looks to be in tact. It may only need a head.

All of the body panels are needed from the doors forward. a well as the following parts
left side strut tower
left side fender support
radiator support frame

The pinch welds for the fender support and the strut tower are not popped and the body gap for both doors is perfect. Both doors open easily.
The vehicle still steers and rolls without a problem.

I can do most of the repairs myself. The only thing I would have to pay to have done is paint and to have the front frame checked and straightened if needed. So labor doesn't factor.

Would it be worth fixing? If repairing it would it be worth adding a SC or a turbo.. going all fast and furious on it.

When finished I would sell the car. I already have a 475bhp 2.0l Pontiac Solstice, so I don't need another toy. I just hate to junk the thing because it can be repaired.

These are the choices I have come up with,
Junk it
Fix it (stock)
Fix it (build it)
Part it out myself
Teaching a young person 18-25ish how to fix/build it and giving them the vehicle when it is done (they would have to pay for the parts to fix it.)

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin

NOTE: There is no rust on the car other then where the paint has come off from the accident. I live at 8500 foot elevation in Colorado 45 minutes west of Denver. Average humidity is in the low teens and there is an average of 300 sunny days a year, so not a huge amount of moisture.The car was covered the entire time and the sun wasn't beating down on it at all. It was in the shade the entire time, so It never turned into a sauna inside the car.

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium 6MT - Silverstone
353 Posts
Depending on the damage, I may just part it out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well lets do a worst case scenario.

Engine
Radiator
AC Condenser
Radiator support frame
Left Fender Support
Left Strut tower
Front fenders
Hood
Bumper cover
Bumper (beam)
Bumper absorber(s)
Headlights
Fender liners
EBCM
ECM
Engine Harness
Front Harness
Engine bay fuse box
Misc hoses and lines
Windshield
Drivers Airbag
SRS module
Transmission mount
Motor mounts
Brake Lines
AC lines
Strut Brace
And the rest of the BS that is in front of the engine.

I figured with replacing the engine it would run about 8 grand in parts. Paint, straightening the frame, welding the strut tower, welding the fender support and welding the radiator support frame will be in the 4 grand area.

If it is just the head that needs to be replaced and the rest of the engine is good then the parts cost drops to 5,300

So 12 grand total. The car has a clean title and 23,000 miles. The accident doesn't even show up on a Carfax report.
I am guestimating that the value of a fully loaded 2011 3.8 GT with 23,000 miles would be around 20 grand.

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium 6MT - Silverstone
353 Posts
well lets do a worst case scenario.

Engine
Radiator
AC Condenser
Radiator support frame
Left Fender Support
Left Strut tower
Front fenders
Hood
Bumper cover
Bumper (beam)
Bumper absorber(s)
Headlights
Fender liners
EBCM
ECM
Engine Harness
Front Harness
Engine bay fuse box
Misc hoses and lines
Windshield
Drivers Airbag
SRS module
Transmission mount
Motor mounts
Brake Lines
AC lines
Strut Brace
And the rest of the BS that is in front of the engine.

I figured with replacing the engine it would run about 8 grand in parts. Paint, straightening the frame, welding the strut tower, welding the fender support and welding the radiator support frame will be in the 4 grand area.

If it is just the head that needs to be replaced and the rest of the engine is good then the parts cost drops to 5,300

So 12 grand total. The car has a clean title and 23,000 miles. The accident doesn't even show up on a Carfax report.
I am guestimating that the value of a fully loaded 2011 3.8 GT with 23,000 miles would be around 20 grand.
I honestly think you would have some difficulty getting anywhere near 20K for it. If you add the repair costs to whatever you paid for it, I think you are still better off cutting your losses and just scraping whatever you can out of it in parts.

I totaled my RX8. Exact same situation that you are stuck in. No record of it, no help from insurance and still paying it off. I wanted to rebuild it so bad. It was a a hard decision, but I parted it out. I am now over 3k in profit from selling the parts. I still have more to sell.

·
Premium Member
15,861 Posts
if the head is cracked from a front/side impact, I would think that insurance would have considered it totaled, because such an impact would have bent the front frame rails.
Now, what insurance would be considered totaled, would not mean that it's not fixable... but it would be a lot of time/money/work.

You can take it to a shop that does frame straightening, but thats more time/money/work.
IMO the amount of money to restore it to factory, to sell it wouldn't be worth it. If you're lucky, you would break even.
You have to remember to include the cost of tools. You can get a fluxcore welder for like $100, but I advise against using fluxcore, and get a MIG or TIG welder, which costs around $1000-$2000 for a decent one. With fluxcore, you're going have to chase welds with a grinder to make it look decent, and usually doesn't provide enough weld penetration for thick gauge structural steel. Even with cleaning up with a grinder, it's going to be noticeable that repairs were done.

You can cut your cost estimates by finding/buy a rear ended totaled coupe, but that is if you can FIND one for low cost to make the repairs justifiable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The frame rail if bent would only be the left side. If it is bent it is not bent a large amount. I will never profit from this car.34,000 for the price of the car then add interest @ 2.9% a year. tack on 5 years worth of insurance I had to pay for even tho I was not driving the car at 60.00 a month. I would not buy any welding gear I would pay the frame shop to weld the parts on that need to be welded.

The insurance company I am sure would have totaled it because at the time you could not buy just a head, or a long block, you could only get a complete engine with ECM and harness included and the cost for it as well over 10,000 just for that alone. There were no used parts available for the vehicle because it was still so new, and what was available came at a premium and was only cheaper then a new part by maybe 20%.

As I said above I would be the one doing most of the work. I have to get my Solstice painted and I have been debating on painting it myself. I know how to it's just that I do not have a paint booth. I located a paint booth that is inflatable (like a bounce house) and the cost is < 1000.00 for it. I would have to put together a ventilation system for it which can be done cheaply using old furnace blowers.If I was going to paint 2 cars it would make it worth while for me to invest in the things needed to paint the cars. It is a lot of work for a single person to prep and paint 2 vehicles and being that they are my cars it would take even longer because of how much of a perfectionist I am. Add to that time because I do not paint vehicles for a living an the last one I did was 15 years ago, learning curve /remembering factor.

The car would be stripped down before it went to the frame shop so that would reduce the cost to straighten the frame I would imagine.

I did check the prices of parts on e-bay for parting out the car. Using e-bay prices there is 9,000.00 in major components alone. Things like trunk lid, doors, seats, transmission, driveshaft, diff, dash... I already know that I will never get back the money spent. I can part the thing out and get 9,000.00. I know I would not get 20,000.00 for the car if it was fixed. This is an estimate of the value of a Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT with 23,000 miles. I would probably be able to sell it for 17 maybe 18. If the total cost of repairs is 9,000 and can sell it for 18,000 I would get the same 9,000 I would if I parted the car but the car lives on.

I really hate to send it to it's grave, the 2 years that I drove the car I loved it. I also hate just "throwing way" something that is fixable. This is why I came up with the idea of giving it to a kid and teaching him/her how to repair it. I would really love to share my knowledge of working on vehicles with the younger generation, I do not have any children to share the knowledge with (not that they would have listened anyhow). My location makes it hard to do that, couple that with finding a person that would want to learn and would want to work on it.... Really hard.. I am retired and have the time to spend to share the knowledge and to help with the repairs I am 45 years old so I am not moving around with a walker yet LOL. I can't take money with me when I go to my grave so I could see myself buying parts for it and gifting them while it is being fixed. The more I chat about it the more I realize that I think this is what I would love to do with the car more then anything else. Finding a person is going to be the difficult thing to do. I cannot even donate it to a high school because they do not offer automotive anymore. I could have gotten parts/money donated from local repair facilities to fix it if I had a school to donate it to. Those cash for clunkers type of charities I would never use because if 10% actually made it to the people that needed the money I would be shocked.

Used parts places rip off people that junk their cars. a car is worth at least 350.00 just for scrap. telling a person the car is worth nothing and then charging the person 200.00 to pick the thing up is ripping a person off. The time it takes for 2 people to tear down a car is about 2 days if they take their time. 2 people at 10.00 an hour would cost 320.00 in labor. I was told by a used parts place that they would give me 400.00 for the car, less the 200.00 to pick the car up putting 200.00 in my pocket. Knowing what the parts value is I laughed at them. I do not see a used parts place giving me around 5 grand for the car which would be a appropriate sum of money.

·
Premium Member
15,861 Posts
The frame rail if bent would only be the left side. If it is bent it is not bent a large amount. I will never profit from this car.34,000 for the price of the car then add interest @ 2.9% a year. tack on 5 years worth of insurance I had to pay for even tho I was not driving the car at 60.00 a month. I would not buy any welding gear I would pay the frame shop to weld the parts on that need to be welded.

The insurance company I am sure would have totaled it because at the time you could not buy just a head, or a long block, you could only get a complete engine with ECM and harness included and the cost for it as well over 10,000 just for that alone. There were no used parts available for the vehicle because it was still so new, and what was available came at a premium and was only cheaper then a new part by maybe 20%.

As I said above I would be the one doing most of the work. I have to get my Solstice painted and I have been debating on painting it myself. I know how to it's just that I do not have a paint booth. I located a paint booth that is inflatable (like a bounce house) and the cost is < 1000.00 for it. I would have to put together a ventilation system for it which can be done cheaply using old furnace blowers.If I was going to paint 2 cars it would make it worth while for me to invest in the things needed to paint the cars. It is a lot of work for a single person to prep and paint 2 vehicles and being that they are my cars it would take even longer because of how much of a perfectionist I am. Add to that time because I do not paint vehicles for a living an the last one I did was 15 years ago, learning curve /remembering factor.

The car would be stripped down before it went to the frame shop so that would reduce the cost to straighten the frame I would imagine.

I did check the prices of parts on e-bay for parting out the car. Using e-bay prices there is 9,000.00 in major components alone. Things like trunk lid, doors, seats, transmission, driveshaft, diff, dash... I already know that I will never get back the money spent. I can part the thing out and get 9,000.00. I know I would not get 20,000.00 for the car if it was fixed. This is an estimate of the value of a Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT with 23,000 miles. I would probably be able to sell it for 17 maybe 18. If the total cost of repairs is 9,000 and can sell it for 18,000 I would get the same 9,000 I would if I parted the car but the car lives on.

I really hate to send it to it's grave, the 2 years that I drove the car I loved it. I also hate just "throwing way" something that is fixable. This is why I came up with the idea of giving it to a kid and teaching him/her how to repair it. I would really love to share my knowledge of working on vehicles with the younger generation, I do not have any children to share the knowledge with (not that they would have listened anyhow). My location makes it hard to do that, couple that with finding a person that would want to learn and would want to work on it.... Really hard.. I am retired and have the time to spend to share the knowledge and to help with the repairs I am 45 years old so I am not moving around with a walker yet LOL. I can't take money with me when I go to my grave so I could see myself buying parts for it and gifting them while it is being fixed. The more I chat about it the more I realize that I think this is what I would love to do with the car more then anything else. Finding a person is going to be the difficult thing to do. I cannot even donate it to a high school because they do not offer automotive anymore. I could have gotten parts/money donated from local repair facilities to fix it if I had a school to donate it to. Those cash for clunkers type of charities I would never use because if 10% actually made it to the people that needed the money I would be shocked.

Used parts places rip off people that junk their cars. a car is worth at least 350.00 just for scrap. telling a person the car is worth nothing and then charging the person 200.00 to pick the thing up is ripping a person off. The time it takes for 2 people to tear down a car is about 2 days if they take their time. 2 people at 10.00 an hour would cost 320.00 in labor. I was told by a used parts place that they would give me 400.00 for the car, less the 200.00 to pick the car up putting 200.00 in my pocket. Knowing what the parts value is I laughed at them. I do not see a used parts place giving me around 5 grand for the car which would be a appropriate sum of money.
Sorry, to clarify, what I meant by "break even" was if the car wasn't a wreck and were to sell it, as oppose to the amount to fix it, and then sell it.

You can find wrecked cars for cheap Copart USA - Online Live Vehicle Auctions - Bid & Win
I wouldn't get parts individually, plus most ebay sellers just buy/get wrecks and part them out anyways and jack up the price.

For welding equipment, what you can do is enroll at a local college that has a welding program, and just learn/use their equipment.
I did this in my 20s. it's a lot cheaper than buying a welder and equipment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know how to weld. I just do not have the gear. I am also not proficient at it and I would prefer to pay someone to do the work considering what it is that needs to be welded.
I am familiar with Copart.I have not checked but I would think it would be rare to see a low mileage coupe with a 3.8 that is an H in the 8th digit of the VIN and the car has rear damage only for cheap. It would be bad enough if I had to replace the engine spending 3500 on one that had 90,000 miles on it. A rear impact with that kind of mileage would probably action for a pretty decent chunk of change. Alot of used parts places will offer some kind of a small warranty on the engine, buying an auctioned vehicle online is a huge gamble as there is no warranty and the car is being purchased from photos alone.

If it was cheap enough it might be worth the gamble.

I wouldn't buy parts from e-bay either. It is a good tool to use for estimating prices because it is going to be over what the actual cost of parts would be. I only used it for prices and that would give me a worst case scenario price point.

·
Registered
30 Posts
part it out. That headache is nowhere near worth the minuscule value the car has due to accident history and sitting for years. Cut your losses.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Yes, sometimes in life, whether through over-sight or fault,...you lose.............................

IMHO this is folly. Cut your loses. Get rid of it, like junk it. Learn from the no insurance crap. Start again.

I'm sorry brother calling it like it is. What you describe is a nightmare.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
In some states, any gap in insurance coverage can result in license suspension.
Other than that, not paying tickets, some states even parking tickets. Not paying re-instatement fees or fines from DWI's. Point is its hard to fathom one not knowing they are at risk of suspension.

The insurance companies will use any maneuvering to get out of it, but , one has to provide the reason for them to do it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine was suspended because of a traffic camera ticket. I was not operating the vehicle and I sent the paperwork back in with the box marked that I was not the driver and had the persons name printed in the spot it was supposed to be in. I was never notified by them that my license was getting suspended or that I was still responsible for the ticket. Nothing... I had insurance on the car, in the fine print it stated they do not cover people driving the vehicle if they do not have a license.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
What state if I may ask ?

Hence the old saying "no good deed goes unpunished".

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just for hoots and ha ha's I did some more digging and I located almost all of the parts for 6,558.39 total price including shipping. That is for all but one of the major components, The ABS valve body is not included in that list. I would need to add on things like hoses, belts, light bulbs.. And any other small pieces needed.

That price is including a complete engine. That is also without asking for a discount. It is the same place I bought parts from for my Solstice when a Full grown Bull Elk running at full speed hit the drivers side of the car. I am sure if I asked for a discount they would probably give me one, I am also a veteran and that will usually get a discount.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Fuckin-g pinko state. Writing tickets to the owner of a car, and not the driver operating. Here in good ole Indiana, law enforcement has to specifically ID the driver. Annnnnnd you have to prove your ID to vote, HAHAHA..........

Well at least you can fire up a bowl legally and stew about it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That price is for all OE parts. I could get aftermarket fenders for 1/2 the price and the hood and bumper cover would probably be cheaper as well if they were aftermarket.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts