Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
your doing it you'reself
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm actually getting quite serious about buying this car now. In MA (Boston area).

First one is new, been sitting on the dealer lot for over a year, have been in negotiations on and off with the dealer for a couple weeks. MSRP on the 2010 is $27,375. They are saying their lowest price is $22,500 but in talking with one of the managers, he mentioned $21,900 (but couldn't confirm it without asking the owner).

Second offer is for a used car with about 35,000 miles. Their manager's price is $18,750, but I haven't talked to them at all. Communication was just over email. Autocheck (Experian) is clean with a score of 92.

Thoughts please. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
$22,500 for a base 3.8 A/T is a steal.
I paid $26,000 for mine half a year+ ago. ($24,000 in my eyes since they offered $2000 more on my trade-in)

I would grab the one that's been sitting in the lot :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Seems like high miles?

Warranty, and the benefits of a new car, make the new one a slam dunk in my opinion. :D

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
$22,500 for a base 3.8 A/T is a steal.
I paid $26,000 for mine half a year+ ago. ($24,000 in my eyes since they offered $2000 more on my trade-in)

I would grab the one that's been sitting in the lot :)
I paid same 18 month ago, Its very nice deal , will not even look at used with 30K miles on it .:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I have the same sort of dilemma.

There is a local 2010 NEW 3.8 on the lot that I can get for $26550 out-the-door (tax, title, fees, etc.).

Or there's a used 2010 3.8 with about 10,500 miles on it that I could get for a total of just under $20,000.

Is the warranty and new-car-feeling worth it? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
your getting around 7K less for used 3.8 GC with 10K miles , I would go for used and take the 60K mile Hyundai factory warranty than buy extended warranty few years later if you feel needed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
your getting around 7K less for used 3.8 GC with 10K miles , I would go for used and take the 60K mile Hyundai factory warranty than buy extended warranty few years later if you feel needed.
Oh, so I can buy the extended at any time afterwards if I want? (The 10/100K addition?)...

Yeah, I'm leaning toward this solution, but we'll see. Thanks so much for the input!

·
Registered
85 Posts
For the OP, definitely the new one. Miles are too high in your case and the price difference is pretty small.

For the second guy with this dilemma get the used one. The mileage is only 10 000, but the price difference is considerable.

·
2.0 4B11 n/a FTL
249 Posts
kind of in your position now, except with the 2.0 i can get a 2.0 base new for 21 roughly OTD or i can get a 2.0 used premium with 35k miles for 16.5. thats a good gap in money im thinking to just pull the trigger on the used one.

the warranty is 60k miles if im correct anyway so id stll have some left

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks so much for the input, guys! Yeah, I'll probably go with the used, as the NEW 2010's in my area have pretty much been sold, which has negated my bargaining power to lower the saleslady with the one I mentioned.

The only other option is that I could get a new 2011 Turbo Sonata out-the-door for $25k. I test drove one, and it felt really good. And with the huge amounts of snow we've been getting (and having a kid), I should probably do the sensible thing....

Unless folks here can talk me into being fun and insensible!

·
your doing it you'reself
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE: Purchased the new 3.8 A/T. Details in new member section and post your deals section.

·
Registered
34 Posts
what dealers have you talked to? I did some shopping in the MA area as well (made the final purchase in NY). I test drove cars at Pride Hyundai in Lynn and the one in Wilmington. Mirak hyundai in Arlington only had a manual transmission 3.8 when I went.

·
your doing it you'reself
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went to Wilmington to test drive their car but their price quote was a joke. Something in the $24,xxx range for a car that they have had forever, and I could've got that price a year ago.

Internet quote from Pride at Seekonk was funny. It was something like $23,500 for the manual. Follow up phone call said the A/T would be $1500 extra. "Really," I said. Click.

Ended up purchasing from the Danvers dealer. They had two 3.8 A/T's on the lot that had been sitting there for over a year. They were very motivated to move the inventory. I started negotiations in January and after some back and forth, provided an offer that they turned down. Went to the dealer a month later with a higher quote and the deal was done.

Where you located? I'm in Cambridge.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Medford. Senior at Tufts University. Boston potholes are a *****. Especially that big one on Mass Ave. near Harvard Square towards Porter if you know where I'm talking about

·
Registered
34 Posts
you wouldn't happen to drive a red gencoupe, would you? I haven't seen any gen coupes around the area except a red one in Davis Square about a month ago

·
your doing it you'reself
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Medford. Senior at Tufts University. Boston potholes are a *****. Especially that big one on Mass Ave. near Harvard Square towards Porter if you know where I'm talking about
Ahahaha. I went there...graduated 13 years ago.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts