Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing new Corbeau seats in my 2015 3.8 Ultimate and these seats do not have the side airbags that come stock with the car. This means that when I install the new seats, the plug into the seat that is used for the airbags will stay unplugged. I've seen online that this will make the airbag light come on. I've also read that when this happens, none of the airbags will deploy in a collision. Does anyone know the best way to take care of this? I'm planning on just clearing the code for the airbags but I want to make sure that all the other airbags will still work. Has anyone gone through something similar while installing aftermarket seats and has a solution?

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium 6MT - Silverstone
353 Posts
You can't just clear an airbag light. You need resistors.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
This is somthing that has kept me from going with aftermarket seats, not so much the light, or even the airbags not working as I grew up before airbags, (and seatbelts) were a thing, but I worry what the insurance company would have to say upon inspection after a accident particularly if there was any injury involved.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I looked at a bunch of You tube videos on replacing Coupe seats with aftermarket seats and not one of them mentioned anything about the seat wiring/sensors. Somebody had to bypass/spoof the sensors but no one mentioned how they did it.

I have no experience with this in a Coupe.

My youngest son replaced the seats in his 1998 E36 convertible a month or so back. Replaced them with later E39 seats. He tried to do it right. He got additional plugs to make a set of jumpers (rather than just cutting/splicing wires) and still had some issues with the seat occupancy sensor on the passenger side and the air bag light was lit up. Very sensitive set up on that car anyway. One issue was just a very hard to see bit of corrosion on a pin in a plug. Just a sort of hazy white look but it was enough to alter the resistance the computer was reading through the wire (that was the air bag light coming on.)

And, be careful of the air bag system. Hitting the wrong wire, grounding something that shouldn't be grounded, etc. can blow the air bag out on you resulting in injury. Do some reading on the hazards first and take the necessary steps.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium 6MT - Silverstone
353 Posts
could try swapping in oem recaro seats from a sti or evo.
I have been wanting to try this with the EVO X/Ralliart Seats. If I ever get around to it I can update.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts