Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have either of these brand/model tire to give me any input on whch one is better choice? Tires I have now are crap for traction even at dragstrip ,they are kumho ecsta sps. I am looking at the Potenza s-04 pole position vrs Extremecontact DW ? Thanks

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=190

Acording to tire rack, potenza have slightly better grip when dry, while continental dw are a bit better comfort and grip when wet.

They are close in price, the bigets desiding factor for me would be weight. If I was to trust tire rack specs, Potenza tires weight 6 lb more per tire (265/35 r19)!

Extremecontact DW are on my list of next tire set (at least for the rear) - if they do weight as advertised - they are the best tires in the price range of $200-$250.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Lighter tires have more positive efect then lighter rims since weight is further out from axis of rotation.

Taking of 6 lb 20" away from axis of rotation is same as taking 12 lb 10" away from axis of rotation.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks, after consideration and weight as compared to tires I already had,I went with the pole positions.Plus they were on sale.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Ok thanks, after consideration and weight as compared to tires I already had,I went with the pole positions.Plus they were on sale.
How wide do you run them in the rear?
What were your 60' at the drag with Kumho?

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
275's my 60 ft were 2.0 to 2.2 they are worse than the stock potenza 245's. Had a few 1.9's with them

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
My curent rear tires 265/40 Goodyear F1 Supercar are pretty bad, they lose traction if I punch it at 3k rpms while driving in 1st, at low 70s temparature.

Too much negative camber (-2) does not help eather, planing to set it to (-.5) in the future.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nitto NT555 or NT450, but since snow may be an issue for you I suggest Nitto NT450's

·
Registered
227 Posts
I also looked at the s-04 but their substantially heavier weight steered me away from them to the DW, plus they have the $70 rebate. Just installed yesterday. Next time I'd like to try the PSS when they have the $70 rebate but right now they cost over $1k.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well I personally can't recommend the DW since I'm sending these back and getting the PSS. I have tire pull to the right with them and cornering feels mushy and unpredictable too, plus the roads make the car wonder back and forth across the lane on the freeway where I look like a drunk driver. I have the tires inflated to 40psi so under inflation is not causing the mushy feeling, plus I have the 235 & 255 so they're not too wide on the oem wheels causing that feeling either.

I've read online reviews with some other gen coupe drivers having the same right tire pull issue and other cars having the lane weaving issue. I didn't have any of those problems with the oem tires where at least the car felt planted and secure even in high speed turns. They do grip better than oem when launching though and look better as well but I prefer the steering to be stable and inspire confidence so hopefully the PSS will workout much better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=190

Acording to tire rack, potenza have slightly better grip when dry, while continental dw are a bit better comfort and grip when wet.

They are close in price, the bigets desiding factor for me would be weight. If I was to trust tire rack specs, Potenza tires weight 6 lb more per tire (265/35 r19)!

Extremecontact DW are on my list of next tire set (at least for the rear) - if they do weight as advertised - they are the best tires in the price range of $200-$250.
did you ever get the continentals and if so how were they?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Yes, had them or the last 3 years (well, I have their previous version...extremecontact DW, curent version ...sport... has a bit stiffer sidewall for better steering responce)

Noticable improvement in traction compared to OEM and especially compared to Goodyear Egle Supercar.

I do tend to drive aggressively...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts