Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states I just registered with this forum. Anyways, I have been wanting to trade my car in. 13' GTI I have a love hate relationship with it but I kinda want a RWD car and something that looks sporty but also high end in a way. I have been looking at a 14' 3.8 coupe that only has 5k of mileage on it and they are selling it for 23k. Is there anything I should be made aware of before I follow through with this? This will be my first non VW vehicle so if anyone can be nice and give any input about this cars I know very small about I would appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Is a great car. It depends of what you want to do with it. If you are hp crazy the 3.8 is not going to give you mush with out goin the forced induction route. Full bo and custom tune you are looking at about 320whp. But it is a really fun car to drive and it looks gorgeous

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gotcha, I'm sure with the more knowledge I get I would know more as to which route to go but does that count for the 2.0t as well?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Gotcha, I'm sure with the more knowledge I get I would know more as to which route to go but does that count for the 2.0t as well?
With the 2.0t is easier to achieve higher hp but to be honest at the end you are spending about the same money on the 3.8 and 2.0t to make it faster. Test drive them both and see what you like. I went with the 3.8 because it had more power stock and I liked the sound of the stock v6 over the stock v4

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the 2.0t is easier to achieve higher hp but to be honest at the end you are spending about the same money on the 3.8 and 2.0t to make it faster. Test drive them both and see what you like. I went with the 3.8 because it had more power stock and I liked the sound of the stock v6 over the stock v4

Yeah, I'll see what I decide. The 3.8 does sounds amazing from what I've heard and I do like the performance background of it. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
782 Posts
If you are looking for a car you can have fun modding and get gains out of, go with the 2.0t. Sure, starts off with 275hp but it has the potential of making much more.

The 3.8 is a great car if you only plan on doing small stuff (intake, exhaust, ECU tune), as the gains are pretty minimal since its pretty maxed out from the factory as is, but if you will be happy with that then go for it.

3.8 also sounds better and more exotic, while the 2.0t will always sound like a turbo 4cyl.

Also keep in mind base and grand touring 3.8's only come with an open diff rear; Track/Ultimates/Rspec have LSD rear. Not sure if this is something that you want out of your RWD purchase, but open rear RWD is a pretty lame duck IMO. I had browsed here for months prior to purchasing and never saw anything about it, but low and behold, Base/Gran Touring/Premium trims are all open diff.

You looking for 6MT or 8AT?

Reactions: lastrainhome

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I made my purchase I went with the 3.8 Ultimate. I loved the sound of the V6. I also like how it felt compared to the 4 cylinders I usually drove. I've never driven a turbo'd 4 cylinder though. I with that being said I think I should have atleast test driven a 2.0t to see how it would compared. It definitely seems to have alot more aftermarket support for the engine too. I think you should test drive both cars before you make a final decision.

·
Registered
627 Posts
3.8 is the way to go imho. Sounds great, has decent power and comes with most features you'd find in a luxury sport (depending on trim level of course). I'd check the history on the car and inquire about remaining factory warranty and an extended service plan. You definitely want to know if the title's clean, if there were any accidents, etc. Too many dealerships are selling cars with flood or frame damage and I wouldn't go within 1000 yards of a car like that - way too many headaches down the road. Welcome to the forums by the way!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts