Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Cranky old bastard
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a couple hundred miles and a few days of driving, I thought I'd share my impressions of my new, first ever Genesis Coupe. (Mods - feel free to move this and scold me as necessary if I posted it in the wrong place).

2014 Gen Coupe Ultimate
3.8L V6, 6-spd manual

First, about me. I'm 48 years old and have been building, racing, tearing up, rebuilding, and enjoying just about anything with wheels on it for about 35 years. As I've gotten older, my patience has gone down while my cynicism has gone up; the more I dislike political correctness and lower standards being acceptable, the more frequently they occur. But, I can still find things to laugh at...and more often these days it's at myself.

Coming from 20 years of DSM's (and just about everything else before that), I'm addicted to big power for little $$$ and few creature comforts; pretty much the opposite of a Gen Coupe. If I seem overly critical of Hyundai or my new car, well...I don't really care. See the previous paragraph. :D

But I digress...

First, I absolutely love this car, or at least what it seems to be. What I mean by that is that I keep getting this nagging feeling that something is just a little "off". I don't know if it's the disabled ESC rearing it's head now and then to add that tiny something to one corner of the car for no reason, or maybe a new engine/tranny trying to find it's happy place...but every now and then there is just a very subtle, tiny, undefinable something that nags at the base of my spine for a moment. For now I'll chalk it up to new car gremlins and hope it goes away.

Speaking of gremlins, I also have a CEL that pops up occasionally for "exhaust cam valve timing too far advanced". The dealer couldn't find anything wrong when I took it in, but it's still doing it. It happens randomly during normal, low-load driving for no apparent reason and with no noticeable effect on performance. Hopefully they'll track it down this weekend. Anyway, moving on...

Pros:

This car is beautiful. Even being an old skool, squared off muscle car guy, I really like the looks of this car...mostly (see the cons below). I never noticed a GC on the streets around here before I bought it, but now everyone I see is staring at me as I drive around. (Although I'm a damn good looking man, I'm pretty sure it's the car they are looking at :D). The metallic white paint is probably the nicest white I've seen; just enough metallic without any of the typical unbalanced mother-of-pearl green and purple, and it gets deeper the closer you get like a good metallic paint job should.

The 3.8L could be a little stronger, but I'm used to daily driving a car with around 450-475whp so I'm a bit biased. :) It's definitely enough for a nice sporty DD'er to get in and out of traffic though, and it's probably the best sounding 6 cylinder I've ever heard. The option to burn virtually any gas you want is a definite plus.

I like the interior layout and the way it feels in general. Like my Talon, this car feels like I put it on, rather than got into it. The telescoping wheel is a nice touch, and the tech/power everything makes you feel like you are driving a higher priced sports car, for the most part.

For a RWD car, the handling is damn good IMO (with ESC completely off). Driving on the edge seems very predictable, and the car just goes where you point it; either nose first or sideways, depending on gear and throttle input. The brakes work very well, at least for short periods of spirited light-to-light driving; but they do produce a LOT of dust it seems. Obviously I haven't tossed it around a road course, so I have no idea as to how well they hold up to abuse. I assume with some better pads they would be adequate for a few laps, but heat may be an issue without a rotor upgrade.

There are many more little things that could be considered pros, but those ^ are the main ones that jump to mind.

Cons:

Judging from all the reading I've been doing, I bet everone here knows what my first con will be...

The 6-spd tranny.

To be fair, I don't really have a real problem with the transmission per se. What I have a problem with is that the clutch/tranny/drivetrain can't seem to make up it's mind as to what it wants to be when it grows up. The clutch feels fine, when you can predict where the engagement point is. And therein lies the problem; although I'm sure it's at least partially psycological, the clutch seems to engage/disengage with a different agressiveness or at a different point sometimes, and there isn't any consistency to it. It's a very subtle effect and not a hard physical thing I can track down and put my finger on. The clutch just seems to have a mind of it's own occasionally.

As for the tranny itself, meh. It's not horrible, but there is definitely a sweet spot in the RPM band that the 2-3 upshift prefers. While I don't normally hammer gears at 7k these days, it would be nice if all shifts felt the same and it didn't feel like the car was sometimes saying "hang on just a second and I'll go get that gear for you". Other than that specific issue, overall the tranny seems to have the same indecisive personality that the clutch does. Sometimes it slides right into gear, and sometimes it takes a little searching for it. I've driven manual gearboxes my whole life, but this one has me a little stumped. I'll change out the fluid with some of my trusty Redline MT-90 or 85 in a couple thousand miles and see if that smooths things out. My gut tells me it will, but we'll see.

The Nav/Multimedia system.

I love it! I hate it! Hey that's pretty cool! What the hell were they thinking?

Sound familiar? It's definitely a love/hate relationship between me and the stock nav unit. For example, I really like the fact that I can play any of thousands of high-quality MP3 files anytime I want, organized into folders by artist, album, etc. But it irks the hell out of me that the nav can't use simple numerical sorting to list them in track order; much less include a $2.00 cell-phone quality app with favorites list, etc.. Or how about a decent nav screen and button layout, that won't scroll for crap or allow standard finger gestures for zoom, etc.? I just payed $31k for a new car, and I have to pay $99 to get updated nav data? Pretty cool-looking clock screen...that I can't make persistent unless I turn everything off. A video input on the back of the nav, that won't accept any type of video whatsoever. Brilliant.

And while we're at it, someone please explain this to me. As far as I know, the two most popular mobile OS platforms by a large margin (at least in the US, and I assume worldwide) are Android and iOS; so naturally Hyundai uses Windows CE for it's US nav. :squint: Come on Hyundai...roll out that new true android-based nav, give us all software updates to implement it, and make us happy campers.

The stereo sounds pretty good actually, but needs more power and better EQ. My test CD tracks are Beethoven's 5th symphony cranked to a zillion, followed by some good old-fashioned AC/DC or maybe "One Week" by Barenaked Ladies. (If your subs can accurately reproduce the bass in "One Week" without self-destructing, they can handle anything.) Speaking of EQ, check out my thread on the non-existent Variable EQ parameters that are shown in my user manual.

Update: Using MP3tag, I was able to run a script that renamed all of my files to have a two digit, leading 0 track number first, like this:

Boston (artist folder)
Don't Look Back (album folder)
01. Don't Look Back.mp3
02. The Journey.mp3
03. It's Easy.mp3
...​

This lets the nav unit sort the files perfectly in album order, so no more going from track "1" to track "10". BTW, for those of you that are unfamiliar with it, MP3tag is an incredibly powerful program that lets you do all sorts of cool things with your MP3 library. One really nice feature is the ability to find and embed the album artwork directly into the song header, so you don't have to have artwork images and all that stuff cluttering up your MP3 folders. And, the artwork will display properly on almost any device that will play the file.

I also discovered that if you copy MP3 files to "My Favorites" for quicker access, the system drops the quality and re-compresses them. All of my mp3 files are encoded at the max of 320kbps, which is well above the threshold at which the factory system can reveal most mp3 compression artifacts. When saving them to My Favorites however, their size is cut from about 10-12mb each down to about 830kb, and they sound muddy and lifeless.

The triple gauges. Or, the OMG WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING triple gauges. Oil temp? Fine...awesome. But instantaneous torque and fuel consumption, when you have a butt dyno and trip computer right in front of you? How about something useful like water temp, voltmeter, or oil pressure (probably the most important gauge there is).

The front black crash bar/bumper...thing. To me it seems that when the first one rolled off the assembly line, someone looked at it and said "Oh crap! We built this before the designers finished the front end. Here...stick this on there and see if it looks like a Lexus or Audi or something. Close enough." I don't understand it, don't really like it, and will probably color match it to the vehicle. Other than that, it is what it is.

I'm not crazy about the way the side windows drop 1/2" when the door is opened, or rather, pop out of the top seal and then drop. There is no way that can be good for the seal, or the window internals for that matter.

Last and definitely not least, Blue Link. I love the idea and the potential, but the implementation just flat out sucks. Hate it , hate it, HATE IT. The website finctionality hasn't worked since I bought the car, and the phone app is so ridiculously slow that I could walk 1/2 mile and open the door before I could enter the passcode and wait for it to do it's thing (although to be completely fair, some of this could be due to my 4-year old Samsung Epic). Did I mention entering the passcode for EVERY COMMAND? How about logging into the app once, and then run as many commands as you need? Which in my case, would be none, since they don't allow a manual car to be remote started... a completely idiotic decision since you have neutral and an e-brake, and there are plenty of ways to implement it safely. And Hyundai, if you can't figure out how to electronically store someone's email and required personal info, at least hire a high school kid to write it down and hand out copies to whoever needs it up there. I gave the dealer my info when I bought the car, filled out the online form with the same info, have had to provide it at least 3 times when contacting a person through BlueLink, and had to provide it to the service guy at the dealership when he checked and reset the CEL...which BTW, doesn't show up on the Blue Link service history at all.

If you haven't noticed, the current implementation of Blue Link can KMA. A free trial isn't good enough right now; they should be paying me to evaluate it just for the PITA it is. :)

Something else that bothers me more and more as time goes on; the traction control system. With everything on, it's downright dangerous. Using complete fuel cut to stop rear tire slippage is insane, and I can't think of any case where this would be desirable. With TCS off but stability still on, it's much more useful for wet or icy roads, but still not ideal. Hyundai really needs to go back to the drawing board on this one. I'll be installing a timer relay soon to have this completely turned off when I first start the car.

To be fair, a couple hundred miles is nowhere near enough driving to make an accurate observation in some areas, so I'll edit this post as I get more seat time and the car breaks in. I'm sure my opinions will change on some things, some for the better and some for the worse, and hopefully Hyundai will work out their Blue Link issues.

As it stands right now, I'm extremely happy with my purchase and really enjoy the car, contrary to the way the last few paragraphs may have made it seem. A few tweaks here and there and some minor fixes, and it will be just about perfect I think. And then it will be time to.... no NO. Must resist the M word!

- Craig

·
Watching your back
190 Posts
I'm happy that you're enjoying your car, calan.

I love your quote of saying that you put the car on instead of getting into it. I feel the exact same way with my '13.

·
...4, 3, 2, 1
1,486 Posts
Nothing quite like the Talon for feeling like you're wearing the car!
I always felt like it was the cockpit of a fighter jet when i used to get in my 1G TSi's.

...and the Gen tranny is like glass compared to the Mitsu's!! :rofl:

·
Cranky old bastard
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...and the Gen tranny is like glass compared to the Mitsu's!! :rofl:
That's pretty sad if you are being serious...the factory DSM 5-spd isn't exactly known for it's durability. :)

At least we (DSM's) have some pretty solid upgrade options from Jack, Shep, Zimmer, and TRE. Of course there is also 25+ years of history and R&D there as well.

·
...4, 3, 2, 1
1,486 Posts
Should have said the Gen shifts smooth as glass compared to a DSM.
...and don't even get me started on the DSM transfer cases!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
2013 White 3.8 GT
721 Posts
congrats on the Gen... The only place you lost me was with the window. Properly functioning, it rolls down about half an inch when you pull the handle and open the door to get under the upper seal and back up when you close the door to properly seal again. If it's doing anything else, it's not working as it should. As for tranny fluid, Mitsu Diaqueen seems to be the number 1 fix, Redline second but they are just opinions lol. Change the fluid for sure. I'm dumping mine when I do my first oil change

·
Cranky old bastard
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Properly functioning, it rolls down about half an inch when you pull the handle and open the door to get under the upper seal and back up when you close the door to properly seal again.
Maybe I'm trying to get in and out of the car too fast, because mine hangs on the seal sometimes on it's way down; i.e. it's not all the way down yet when I try to open the door.

·
ex-dsmer/boost addict
187 Posts
Welcome to the community. I am also an ex-dsm'er, just a lot younger. One thing you may want to look into to make shifting more consistent would be shifter bushings, a short shifter, and the Megan Racing transmission mount. I've hear that one makes a very great change in being able to find the gears.

·
Cranky old bastard
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the community. I am also an ex-dsm'er, just a lot younger. One thing you may want to look into to make shifting more consistent would be shifter bushings, a short shifter, and the Megan Racing transmission mount. I've hear that one makes a very great change in being able to find the gears.
Based on what I've read from Snoopy, who seems to be the unanimous gen coupe tranny expert around here, I think I'll take his advice and pass on the ST shifter. But I'll definitely be looking for those bushings and researching the mount. Tks for the info!

·
2013 White 3.8 GT
721 Posts
Maybe I'm trying to get in and out of the car too fast, because mine hangs on the seal sometimes on it's way down; i.e. it's not all the way down yet when I try to open the door.
Ya, there must be something going on with your sensor. Mine goes down rapid, I would look like an idiot trying to replicate your issue with my windows lol.

As for Snoopy, he's more than just a tranny expert on this platform, he's pretty much a full blown shop manual lol. Although without seeing the exact internals of our trannies or hard evidence that a short shifter can/will cause issues, I'm keeping my STS in. I found it not only served it's purpose but hugely helped my seriously confused transmission lol.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Excellent write up/review. Subscribed for your updated opinions :)

·
Former World Traveler
12 Posts
Awesome write up. Sub'd.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Just so you know the 14's tranny was supposed to be improved with carbon fiber syncros or something or another.

As for the windows the biggest problem is they freeze in the winter and will not go down without force or deicing.

·
'13 3.8 Track
858 Posts
Great write-up, Craig. I agree with your assessment of the Nav unit. It annoys the hell out of me, especially since the voice dialing doesn't work. Also, I've noticed that most of my MP3's play fine except for the fact that they skip once about 20 seconds into the song (on most of them, anyway).

Mine is the 8 speed A/T, so I don't feel your pain in that department. Now, if we could just get a hand-held tuner for a bit more HP!

·
Cranky old bastard
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now, if we could just get a hand-held tuner for a bit more HP!
I would SOOOOOOOOO like to have an open tuning interface. I've worked quite a bit with the ECMLink guys for the DSM's, and wrote some add-on software to do automatic VE tuning, dyno views, etc.. I'd give anything (well... within reason :D) for some software that would let me get into the GC brain and play with the AFR, timing, and other tables.

BTW - Thanks to everyone else for the kind words!

·
ex-dsmer/boost addict
187 Posts
I would SOOOOOOOOO like to have an open tuning interface. I've worked quite a bit with the ECMLink guys for the DSM's, and wrote some add-on software to do automatic VE tuning, dyno views, etc.. I'd give anything (well... within reason :D) for some software that would let me get into the GC brain and play with the AFR, timing, and other tables.

BTW - Thanks to everyone else for the kind words!
You may want to get in contact with Hackish. He is developing something "similar" to ecmlink from what I've read so far. There is a thread going in the 2010-2012 2.0t section of the forums. It sounds pretty promising so far!

edit: Here is a link to the thread incase you were interested. http://www.gencoupe.com/2-0t-discussion-2008-2012/149970-fastworks-editor.html

·
Cranky old bastard
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He is developing something "similar" to ecmlink from what I've read so far. There is a thread going in the 2010-2012 2.0t section of the forums. It sounds pretty promising so far!

edit: Here is a link to the thread incase you were interested. http://www.gencoupe.com/2-0t-discussion-2008-2012/149970-fastworks-editor.html
That is awesome. Thanks for the link!

(He needs to get hooked up with the ECMLink guys. His GC ECU knowledge and their tuning interface = WIN!)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts