Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Radio powers up normally. Display shows increases/decreases in volume level but no sound. This is in all modes: radio, navigation voice, bluetooth, aux cable. Here's what I tried...no joy with every attempt:

Reset button on face of the audio unit
Reset fuse
Reset connectors on battery
Swapped fuse with known working fuse
Reset connectors on head unit, display, power amp

This led me to believe that the faulty unit was likely the power amp. I have another problem with water leaking into the car down the rear pillars just above the rear speakers...both sides. I believe this is a design flaw as the sunroof drainage tubes are clear. The water pools at the outside corners of the sunroof, gets past the sunroof seal and builds up on the drain tracks going toward the drain tubes. While the tube itself is wide enough to handle the water, the actual drain hole doesn't seem to keep upa and the drain track is so shallow it overflows easily. After learning the location of the power amp, I suspected water may have damaged the power amp. Seemed logical. Oh, but the troubleshooting gods are laughing.

After getting behind the trim, I found the power amp was wet. Not soaked, but water definitely...and seemingly regularly...made it's way to the power amp. I live in northeast Florida...tons of rain. I bought the car used from further south...similar rains...so it must have been covered or garage-kept by the previous owner. I removed the amp to allow it to dry indoors. Inspection revealed blackening on the left half of connector B where several pins deliver control signals. There was also blackening in the power amp connector where B sits.

Removed the heat sink from the amp and found no issues inside the unit. Allowed it to dry overnight. Cleaned the connectors with alcohol and reset them. No joy. I thought it was safe to assume the amp was blown. Ordered an amp with matching part number from eBay and excitedly connected it and powered up...no joy. So now the only things left are the audio unit, connector, and wiring. Audio unit is on the way, but in the meantime I'm going to mount the amp and try again to eliminate the possibility that it has to be grounded to the vehicle chassis in order to work. Doubtful about that though. After that I'm going to take some readings off the connector with a multimeter to see if there are any signals present, but that may not be helpful as I can only check for voltage or ground. Crossing my fingers that it's not the wiring and the audio unit fixes it.

As for the water problem, there's no way I'm going to drop the sunroof the replace the seal and a shop/dealer is too expensive. Upon inspection, the seal is in excellent condition. That's why I believe that it's a design flaw. My solution is a waterproof car cover. In addition to keeping water completely off the car, I no longer have to worry about the birds in the tree that covers my parking spot at work.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for reading...hope you found this useful.
dash apart.jpg
power amp location.jpg
Connector B burned.jpg
Amp connector burned.jpg
Screenshot_20200104-101035_Drive.jpg

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,470 Posts
Those connectors will probably need to be replaced once burnt like that I would say. Brass looses it's temper from over heating which makes for loose contact and if there was any plating on the pin it usually gets burnt off.

For the record my car sits outside 100% of the time. No leaking from this area though. The rubber exposed trim is all cracked.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update.

While disconnecting the connectors from the replacement amp, sound came back on! Plugged back into the original amp and sound was good. Wiggled the connector and sound went in and out. So defective contact. Been looking for a replacement connector, but no luck finding one. I've had the amp connected for over a week now with no issues. I'm hesitant to put everything back together, though, because I'm not 100% sure about the connector. Still monitoring local junkyards for another Coupe, so I can get another connector. If by some chance someone can get a connector for me, I could use it and as much wire as possible. I'll send $20 for your trouble.

On to the leak. A friend noticed that at the end of the sunroof rails, a very spongy foam at the rails end caps was where the water was leaking. Gooped waterproof sealant on both end caps and tested for leaks. Rail over the amp checks good. Other rail needs more sealant. I'll try to get some pics up. I received the car cover but haven't opened it yet. Undecided about keeping it or getting a refund.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,470 Posts
If the male pins are flat on one of the connectors, to make better constant contact, use a needle nose pliers and give each pin a slight twist.

If they are round pins, they need to be slightly flattened on the very end. Just enough out of shape to not perfectly fit a nice round hole.

This was an issue with my taillight connector.

·
Premium Member
15,072 Posts
I would first look for the cause of the corrosion.

Could be a tiny leak from the quarter window seal. been known to happen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update...

Lots of sealant gooped on the ends of the sunroof rails...completely cured. Heavy rains for the last two days and terrible leaking on both sides, even with the sealant. The drain tubes are clear. Water is somehow collecting in the inside rails where there is no drainage. See red arrow in the pic. Blue arrow indicates where water is carried through the drain tube. The pic is from an assembly on eBay...not my parts. Water collects in the rails and eventually overflows. So now the questions are....How is water collecting where it is not supposed to? And...how do I stop the water from collecting there? The only thing that I can think of right now is to remove the entire sunroof assembly and drill a hole in the metal dividing the rails (green dot) so that water from the inside rail will overflow into the rail with the drain tube.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts