Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was doing an oil change tonight and hmm... what's that greenish fluid dripping down on the drivers side? Oh that's just coolant. Check the reservoir. Nothing.

Guess my ass is limping off to the Hyundai dealer. Couldn't get the oil filter off today either, so I guess I'll have them deal with that while they're at it. Bitch about the paint just for good measure. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
When I got Mine had the same problem.

·
Island Coupe
1,060 Posts
Was this your first oil change? Hyundai has a gorilla put those damn filters on at the factory!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was this your first oil change? Hyundai has a gorilla put those damn filters on at the factory!
Nah, the filter is my own damned fault. Haven't had enough muscle milk lately I think. I would've taken off the plastic shielding to get at it better but I broke my socket adapter on my girlfriends sisters car. So I had a ratchet and the socket but couldn't put them together.

It was a lovely afternoon.

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
Bummer. Guess its good you noticed it while you were home. woulda sucked if you found out while on the road.

·
Premium Member
16,012 Posts
driver side coolant lines:
1. Main coolant return
2. small lines to the TB
3. "could be", but not located on the drivers side. a coolant line/block on the back of the head.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
driver side coolant lines:
1. Main coolant return
2. small lines to the TB
3. "could be", but not located on the drivers side. a coolant line/block on the back of the head.
I would wager 1 or 2. Was going to ask what coolant lines were over there. I couldn't really tell exactly where the leak was, I could just see fluid dripping down from the drivers side when I was under the car. Way over on the driver's side, nowhere near the radiator. Should be interesting to hear from the dealer. Wondering if they'll just warranty it or pull the "act of God" BS.

Unfortunately, nobody can look at it until tomorrow, Wednesday at the latest. No loaner cars at the three dealerships in Cincy so I'm really SOL for the next three days. Gotta love the dealerships around here. Should be interesting to hear what they say. Left my air intake in as well, so I'm mildly curious if they'll mention that.

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Nah, the filter is my own damned fault. Haven't had enough muscle milk lately I think. I would've taken off the plastic shielding to get at it better but I broke my socket adapter on my girlfriends sisters car. So I had a ratchet and the socket but couldn't put them together.

It was a lovely afternoon.
^^Not really your fault, I've been doing every Oil change since the seoncd one, and I always tighten the filter by hand, and I only apply hand-tight" pressure, and each time I have to take it off to do the oil change, the damn thing is effing stuck on there.

I dab the new gasket with fresh oil each time too, but I have to resolve in using a 6" channel lock wrench to get the old one off, each time.

Unless Chuck Norris crawls under my car after each time I do the oil change, I'm pretty sure it's due to the gasket/contact area heating up from the engine/oil and seizes the thing on there....Very annoying.

·
475whp 93/545whp Q16 SAE
1,096 Posts
For the oil filter being stuck, stab a screw driver in the side of that b*tch to get yourself some leverage, that should allow you to get stuck filters off in the future.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad I'm not the only one. It seems like with every successive oil change the thing gets harder and harder to get off. I keep wondering if I just keep getting weaker or what... :rofl: I didn't mention the stuck filter to the dealer so I'll probably end up doing some more battle with this one. I've read it can help if you take a razor blade and try to slide it between the oil filter and the contact area. Seriously starting to consider paying for oil changes and letting someone else deal with it. It's not really worth my time to fight with an oil filter for an hour. Things I'm going to try in order of desperateness:

1. razor blade
2. C-clamp
3. screw driver + hammer

I want to try one of these as well.

Amazon.com: K&N HP-1004 Oil Filter: Automotive

I already have an extension for my ratchet so it shouldn't be a problem getting it there. It will be worth the extra dollar or two if it makes it easier to get the oil filter off each time.

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
For the oil filter being stuck, stab a screw driver in the side of that b*tch to get yourself some leverage, that should allow you to get stuck filters off in the future.
This is a last resort solution, but still a good one.;)

The messy way :eek:
Nothing like a fresh coat of used oil to lube up those manly forearms....:rofl:

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's the filter I switched too after almost cracking a rib tryin to get the old OEM one off. Been through 2 of them now and never had an issue getting it to spin off since I can just use my 1/2" bar and sockets. GenRacer carries them too, not sure how the price compares though.
Good to hear some feedback on it. Looked to me like Amazon had them cheaper.

·
Premium Member
16,012 Posts
^^Not really your fault, I've been doing every Oil change since the seoncd one, and I always tighten the filter by hand, and I only apply hand-tight" pressure, and each time I have to take it off to do the oil change, the damn thing is effing stuck on there.

I dab the new gasket with fresh oil each time too, but I have to resolve in using a 6" channel lock wrench to get the old one off, each time.

Unless Chuck Norris crawls under my car after each time I do the oil change, I'm pretty sure it's due to the gasket/contact area heating up from the engine/oil and seizes the thing on there....Very annoying.
You are suppose to rub some oil on the gasket before you put the filter on (as well as check to make sure that the old seal is not stuck on the car :p).

If you don't, there is a chance that the seal will buckle and tear as you tighten the filter on.

:p

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
what was the fix, a bad gasket? Or bolt not tq'd to spec?
Something around the bottom of the fill bucket was leaking and they had to replace it. Funny thing I be damned if I didn't read this reply to it about the problem I had when I got it last June, went outside this morning checked the coolant level and its on Low. What kinda **** is that lol I guess back to the lot I have to go anyways my damn fuel pump is screaming like everyone was talking about the other day on here!!! One thing right after another Jesus Christ!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You are suppose to rub some oil on the gasket before you put the filter on (as well as check to make sure that the old seal is not stuck on the car :p).

If you don't, there is a chance that the seal will buckle and tear as you tighten the filter on.

:p
Pretty good about all of the above myself.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Something around the bottom of the fill bucket was leaking and they had to replace it. Funny thing I be damned if I didn't read this reply to it about the problem I had when I got it last June, went outside this morning checked the coolant level and its on Low. What kinda **** is that lol I guess back to the lot I have to go anyways my damn fuel pump is screaming like everyone was talking about the other day on here!!! One thing right after another Jesus Christ!
I hope it doesn't turn into a recurring issue for me... :eek: Sucks about yours. It's a pain in the ass getting the car into the dealer and whatnot because they're so busy around here. Bunch of old farts bringing their cars in for every little thing and you can never get your car in when you really need it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts