Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my varrstoens 2.2.2 were originally matte black. After a couple of curb rashes (sigh*) I wanted a quick fix and couldn't afford to powdercoat, so I decided to spray-paint my rims lime green.....so its been like 6 months now and im wondering....is there any way to take the spraypaint off besides sanding it down for 454785762 hrs???? and I want them powdercoated hyperblack now....so does anybody know the process they would go through if i took them to a shop?

Any feedback is welcome :3

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I use paint stripper on spray paint. Let it sit for a few mins, and start wiping it off. If you use on any plastics, let it sit for 2 mins, and start wiping, or will burn the plastic up. I have not tried on rims, but on Fog Surrounds,badges,**** knobs, R2C pipe.

And use gloves....

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I would take off myself. I would guess no more then an hour to complete 1 rim. Maybe less, but as a planning factor 1 hour. Also depends on spokes, width between. You'll have to rub between, etc etc

·
Super Moderator
40,498 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong... but don't they have to sandblast the coating off of the wheel before they powdercoat anyway? If this is the case, why strip it yourself?

·
, SJ is the man
9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
If I want to use paint stripper at home to strip my wheels that are plasti dipped + clear coated, is paint stripper safe to use on wheels with tires on? Of course I am going to take off the wheels off the car.

·
팥빙수
89 Posts
To answer your question about is it safe to use with the tires on. The simple answer is No. I suppose the less hardcore stuff may be, but the good stuff will eat anything that is not metal (try getting a drop on your skin, it burns)

·
Registered
207 Posts
If I want to use paint stripper at home to strip my wheels that are plasti dipped + clear coated, is paint stripper safe to use on wheels with tires on? Of course I am going to take off the wheels off the car.
wait a minute... you said PLASTI DIPPED...
Just peel it off? lol.. why use paint stripper if you can simply rip it off, chemical-free

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
Brake cleaner would take the paint right off, not sure if it'd react with the tires badly.

Like GenCoupeGeek and JewishThunder said though, if you're going to get them PC'd just let the shop sandblast everything off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts