Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to replace my front brake pads and rotors, but need to get the rears done. The brakes on my 2012 3.8L are non-Brembos. The rears seem a little more complicated of a job than the fronts. Any tips on getting this job done from those who have done it?

In particular I'm concerned about the bottom caliper bracket bolt. Will it come out without having to move any part of suspension? Also, how will I know if I've torqued it enough with just a combination wrench? I'm used to using a torque wrench for tightening down bolts.

Second, do I need to mess with the parking brake adjuster to do this job? Just want to make sure I can get the rotors off.

·
Premium Member
15,171 Posts
you just change the pads and rotors.

The "drum" section of the rear brakes (under the hat of the rotors) are just what the handbrake uses to hold the wheels.

So before you remove the rear rotors, make sure the hand brake is down.

·
Registered
217 Posts
you just change the pads and rotors.

The "drum" section of the rear brakes (under the hat of the rotors) are just what the handbrake uses to hold the wheels.

So before you remove the rear rotors, make sure the hand brake is down.
And you may want to "loosen up" the e-brake shoes as they can catch...Don't ask me how I know...

ominousone

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will a regular screwdriver work for turning the star wheel? I took a peek inside the hole and thought it would look fairly obvious, but I'm having trouble locating the star wheel. I might need to look harder though.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,561 Posts
Will a regular screwdriver work for turning the star wheel? I took a peek inside the hole and thought it would look fairly obvious, but I'm having trouble locating the star wheel. I might need to look harder though.
There is a oval rubber plug on the rotor hat at 12 oclock. Remove this and inside is the star wheel. Use a flat blade screwdriver and turn it towards you to loosen.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a oval rubber plug on the rotor hat at 12 oclock. Remove this and inside is the star wheel. Use a flat blade screwdriver and turn it towards you to loosen.
Thanks, I was able to see the gray star wheel after taking off that rubber plug.

I think I remember you mentioned torque wrenches being overrated in another thread. I have a 17 mm combination wrench for the caliper bracket bolts since I can't get a socket and wrench down there. These have a torque spec of 58 to 72 lb-ft. How do you "know" when you're within the range?

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,561 Posts
Thanks, I was able to see the gray star wheel after taking off that rubber plug.

I think I remember you mentioned torque wrenches being overrated in another thread. I have a 17 mm combination wrench for the caliper bracket bolts since I can't get a socket and wrench down there. These have a torque spec of 58 to 72 lb-ft. How do you "know" when you're within the range?
Get it snug and two more tugs. A ratcheting box end is the wrench to have.

·
Premium Member
15,171 Posts
Reverse the car in a parking lot at idle speed
With the car in neutral, pull the hand brake
The drums auto adjust when you do this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts