Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone has thrown this out before, my apologies if so, and feel free to fill me in on the subject....

Modding a car is a hobby in my opinion, it's ridiculously fun, it's rewarding especially if you do it yourself, but what is the obvious scare?

LOSING YOUR FACTORY WARRANTY.

What if...(generalization of the idea here):

There was sort of a "Forum Warranty" set up (Nothing you're locked into or HAVE to do) so that , say "chris" has been on this forum and has been keeping us up to date on his awesome car with his awesome mods....

but one day chris ended up pushing stock internals too hard and blows something.

Chris needs $1XXX dollars to fix it and Hyundai refuses to warrant the car (of course, why would they?)....

The way this works is...Chris comes to us, his friendly modding forum buddies, and shows pictures, tells us the problem etc...and we have the ability to DONATE $1 EACH to Chris through paypal.

Say there is at least 500 people on the forum, that could potentially be a donation of $500 which would help out A LOT.

I'm not saying LETS DO THIS. It's just food for thought to be thrown around for future use...

Obviously you will have some problems to weed through such as kids faking issues just to get more money to mod their car, but there's way we can show proof I'm sure.

Either way, I thought it was an interesting idea, and I'd gladly give someone $1 of my hard earned money to help them out because I have felt their pain, and WILL AGAIN feel their pain I'm sure.

What are your thoughts? Bash away! Lol.

·
Hammer lane Hero
5,712 Posts
I like this idea. While there's definitely a lot of people who break crap out of stupidity, there's a lot of members who run into un-expected problems or issues in an attempt to push their cars further for the benefit of the community.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Ummm no, there will always be people that will not donate to you even thought you helped them in the past. Then every one will be pushing their cars very hard or making fake claims making us donate daily or even 2 or 3 time a day. At the end of the week how much will it add up to? There are a bunch of ways i can fake and prove a broken trany or blown engine.

Hundreds of people are registered to this forum but only a handful are active everyday

·
Hammer lane Hero
5,712 Posts
I see where you're going with that flylow, I was thinking more along the lines of the well-documented & well-known members. The people we know aren't bs-ing us.

For example, I'd be willing to donate to quartermaster before I donated to some boy-racer on the forum with 50 posts.

Just my opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs.

·
buy me some race gas!
1,860 Posts
if you can afford the turbo to blow stock internals....i think you can pay for your own motor lol

·
Use the F'n Search Button
4,280 Posts
Interesting idea, but I wouldn't donate a dollar to some random person I've never met, who blew their engine up. Too easy for someone to mysteriously dissappear after they got their $600 or whatever. As others have said, you have to pay to play, and there's risk involved.

·
Registered
434 Posts
this sort of thing happened alot on my previous forum.

a few motors popped without cause, to be unreasonably denied by warranty, and mazdaspeedforums.org members would all donate $5-10, and have the motor replaced. I can think of 3-4 occasions where a few thousand dollars were put together to get someone back up and running.

then when forumwars rolled around, they banded together, got a car together, gathered $2500 or more to fly a driver (the cars owner wasnt available), and get a few parts the car needed to be competitive (coilovers, camber arms, etc). They won.

·
Banned
7,214 Posts
I'm on board with this, count me in... this is a great idea. The caveat being that a claiming driver needs to provide photographic proof (himself holding the fragments of his thrown rods in front of HIS car etc). I'd donate alot more than a buck, and I'd hope other drivers would do the same for me.

·
mmmmmmmmatte black
6,523 Posts
I'd be in for this! Too bad this idea didn't come about before Hyundai bent me over and made me pay almost $3K when my driveshaft popped :mad2: and that's getting parts at cost with discounted labor :shake:

With that said I've been there before and would be more than happy to donate to a fellow member whose in a situation like I've been through :bowdown:

Obviously nobody will take someone seriously with a low post count and no solid proof, but if they can provide pics, maybe scan the invoice from the dealership with the pricing and repairs needed clearly written in black and white, I'd be happy to help out the community :D

·
mmmmmmmmatte black
6,523 Posts
... One more thing, I don't think "I told you so" repairs should be considered. For example if someone straps two 100lb bottles to their car and blows it up spraying like a mad man at the strip, that's on him. This should be for things that you didn't see coming. If you're running full bolt ons and a tune and your clutch goes that's on you, you should have budgeted for a clutch because the limits of the stock unit are widely known. I could come up with a thousand examples of things like that but I'm sure you guys see what I'm getting at..

·
Registered
434 Posts
On mazdaspeedforums, they would only do it if it wasnt someone doing something asking for trouble.

Like if you gangster rig stuff, or run 30psi from a stock turbo etc. then you shouldnt go asking for a handout.

one guy forgot to put a cam follower on a cam driven fuel pump, on a freshly built motor. it was his mistake, but it was an honest mistake. MSF coughed up enough cash to have his motor shipped back to the builder (Darrel Cox Racing), and have it torn down and reassembled.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I like the idea, but I think it would work much better if it was setup to where the only way to receive a donation is if you donated in the pass.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
You modify your car you are doing it for yourself. Not the community. It's your responsibility. And that includes the damage. And truly if you simply do not have the means to put it back together you better be very conservative w/ your mods.

BTW, they tried exactly this on one of my diesel forums. This guy had blown up a couple of motors pushing the limits and we all enjoyed watching his antics. (diesel engines are like $10K a pop) Someone got something started so we could assist him w/ his latest destruction. Anyways, one guy donated $100 and another donated $10 and that was it. And you know that guy has since spent probably $100K on his truck so it's not like that $110 made a lick of difference to him.

I do want to add that if one of the regular posters had a situation like this, I'd probably be one fo the first to donate.

·
Finesse Is Everything
1,734 Posts
Interesting concept. I would donate to the cause with a strict list of contingencies to assure that it doesn't get corrupt. It would encourage the development of quality builds and testing.

·
GenSport Carolinas
3,001 Posts
Basically, those that are the most abusive with their cars get the increased benefit of knowing that they're covered with little to no expense or accountability personally. Sounds a little like socialized healthcare to me.. LOL.. Except the members aren't forced to participate. ;)

What you're talking about is more in line with creating a small insurance company than just a friendly "I'll throw in a dollar".

Keep it simple and take care of your own car. Make decisions on the risks you take with modding and running your car hard. If the reward is worth the risk then go for it, with the knowledge that you could be paying for the repairs yourself.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Ok so i just blew my engine... Ill post pictures later of me, my car and the broken pieces, i need $2k by tomorrow.

When do we start this?

Anyone?

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
i like this idea i wouldnt mind helping out, like it said i would only do to well known members that are on the boards everyday. like when i got a blow out i needed to rear tires that cost me 450 which i didnt have at the time and anymoney would of helped :).

·
Banned
2,327 Posts
Depending on the circumstances behind the car being down I might be willing to help.

Totally different scenario, but a year or two ago a vendor on ar15.com covered over $25k of legal fees for a member when another vendor sued him for supposedly trashing their name all over the forums and spreading lies about their products. Other members donated as well.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts