Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2010 3.8 base needs new headlight (& tail light) assemblies.

How do I know if I have HID or halo? My shop wants to charge me over a $1000 to replace my headlight assemblies with OEM ... not going to happen.

1. OEM-approved HID are a bit pricier than the same in halogen ... but I don't know what I currently have. How can I tell?

2. I've seen several reviews on some OEM-approved assemblies saying that, despite the fact that they'repre-sealed, they noticed a lot of moisture leakage; is this a warranty issue or do we have to do supplemental sealing after installation?

·
Premium Member
16,540 Posts
oem xenon light have "black chrome" enclosure, also the bk1 has a round ballast mounted on the bottom.

the reflection geometry causes glare when using hid in a halogen housing.

halo just means the is a ring light in the housing. there are no oem halo lights for these cars

·
Premium Member
16,540 Posts
Those are halogen headlights.
I have a modded set of OEM xenon headlights at home (previous owner had them modded with a halo ring, pretty poorly. outter enclosure are all messed up from the halo install and hitting a deer)
I'll take a pic when I get home of the "black chrome" that I mentioned. It's the chrome/silver part, but it's tinted from the factory

I got them cheap because of the damage. My plan is to get a set of oem halogen headlights, opening them up, and swapping in the internals.
Theoretically you could open up the headlight and just replace the low beam stuff to get HIDs to work to stop the glare.

Forgot, OEM xenons have a small servo/motor on the back of the headlight for auto headlight leveling.
This is so if you have a heavy load in the trunk, the headlights will adjust down so it's not aiming too high, with the rack of the car.

·
I'd rather do it myself
20,169 Posts
I'd just get some aftermarket ones. Better lights anyway. Most say not DOT approved but that is they do not have the leveling device. As long as you are putting in another one with a projector.

I have HIDs in my AM high halogen beams and holy smokes........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts