Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my fog lights wont turn on, no dash indicator light as well. (made sure it was on with the headlights). sometimes when im driving and leave the fog light switch on, it randomly turns on and off. first thought was to check fuses but theres none regarding the fogs. i searched and checked all the threads about fogs, cant seem to find my answer. any help would be deeply appreciated!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is also my first post! ive been lurking for a while and finally decided to join :))

·
Premium Member
15,073 Posts
it looks like on the BK2 the fog switch goes directly the body control module.
try wiggling the switch and see if it turns on.
Were you messing with anything when it started happening?

Maybe disconnect the battery for like 30 min and connect it to see if it resets it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it looks like on the BK2 the fog switch goes directly the body control module.
try wiggling the switch and see if it turns on.
Were you messing with anything when it started happening?

Maybe disconnect the battery for like 30 min and connect it to see if it resets it.
ive had the battery disconnected recently and had no power for more than 30 mins, put back on, tried and still nothing. also tried wiggling, moving, flicking the switch around, still nope.

i wasnt messing with anything, it just randomly stopped working. i even tried disconnected and reconnecting the BCM connectors, made sure there were no loose wires. still wont work.

if anyone has experience or any knowledge regarding this, please chime in. any response would be reaaaaaally appreciated!

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,478 Posts
The switch sends a ground to the BCM that then sends a signal over the CAN Bus to the IPS module then to the smart junction box behind the interior fuse box box where a solid state relay is that sends 12v+ power to the fogs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The switch sends a ground to the BCM that then sends a signal over the CAN Bus to the IPS module then to the smart junction box behind the interior fuse box box where a solid state relay is that sends 12v+ power to the fogs.

i appreciate the breakdown brother! but ill be honest, electrical isnt my strong suit but ill keep trying until i fix this HAHA but what would you recommend me to check first and/or test based on my symptoms stated above? thank you again for your input man, really appreciate it :)

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,478 Posts
It's pretty overwhelming but all logical. You need a volt meter tor really know.

The little numbers and letters by the different connectors are wire numbers and wire colors, sometimes they include wire size too.

So I would start by finding the Smart Junction Box fog light output and see if there is any voltage there when it should be. One side or the other. Probably isn't so. But that signal goes over a digital communication bus so no easy way to tell.

Are the lights stock?

I would suspect the Smart Junction Box myself. They aren't cheap though I don't think.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,478 Posts
I suppose there is also the chance the switch is bad. That is just a looped ground on the back of the switch. The ground loops to the low beam ground. That way the fogs are only grounded when the low beams are switched on.

You can take the column shroud off, find that loop and ground it with the key on. Lights should come on if all after the switch is good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I suppose there is also the chance the switch is bad. That is just a looped ground on the back of the switch. The ground loops to the low beam ground. That way the fogs are only grounded when the low beams are switched on.

You can take the column shroud off, find that loop and ground it with the key on. Lights should come on if all after the switch is good.
the fogs are oem, just started acting up.

recently bought myself a long overdue voltmeter, should be here soon. but you do make a point, it really is logical. ill be checking the whole fog circuit. hopefully its just something simple. but hey man, i really appreciate all this info. :)

one more thing, source of the diagrams?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the drawings from the factory manual in this link. I do not know if they are still available. Complete 2.0 and 3.8 PDF Shop Manuals
hey red raspberry, noob question but correct me if im wrong. to test for voltage/ground on a terminal, you stick one probe in the terminal and the other on a body ground right? im a bit confused on how to use a multimeter on these type of connectors

dude, i cant thank you enough for your help. youre a godsend

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

and also, could you elaborate the looped ground behind the switch? how to check if the switch is bad in general

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,478 Posts
The looped ground is on the connector. Take off the shroud and it is on the pass side. If you ground that terminal with the key on the lights will come on.

I use a piece of 20ga solid copper to cram in the wire end of the connector. Then clip the volt meter lead to that and look for a ground somewhere. To test for a ground either do the opposite, clamp to 12v+ and look for that or switch to ohms, the better way, and a good ground is the same as when you touch you two leads together when in ohms.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The looped ground is on the connector. Take off the shroud and it is on the pass side. If you ground that terminal with the key on the lights will come on.

I use a piece of 20ga solid copper to cram in the wire end of the connector. Then clip the volt meter lead to that and look for a ground somewhere. To test for a ground either do the opposite, clamp to 12v+ and look for that or switch to ohms, the better way, and a good ground is the same as when you touch you two leads together when in ohms.
hi there, another noob question. i tested terminal #10 at the M02-B connector (comes from the fog light switch), i didnt get any ground. but i tested other light terminals, using ohms this whole time, and got a nice ground. like touching two leads together like you mentioned. would that mean i have a bad switch if i dont get ground from that terminal? just wanna confirm, i might be missing something

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,478 Posts
Did you have the key on, low beam on and the fog light switch all on when you tested? Not sure about the key having to be on. The actual ground goes the other way (away from the BCM) and this is just a ground signal to the BCM.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you have the key on, low beam on and the fog light switch all on when you tested? Not sure about the key having to be on. The actual ground goes the other way (away from the BCM) and this is just a ground signal to the BCM.
yes, i made sure low beam and fog switch was on. i tested other terminals as well, the ones going into the bcm, they all gave me a reading on the multimeter (ohms). except the fog lights. i also cleaned out the connector from the stalk. i got the fog lights to work for a second, but stopped. im thinking its the switch but i might be wrong. what do you think it could be?

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,478 Posts
You are going to have to keep going down the line until you find a ground. Check at the switch itself.

I would be grounding the BCM at that terminal with the lights and key on to see if the fogs light up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You are going to have to keep going down the line until you find a ground. Check at the switch itself.

I would be grounding the BCM at that terminal with the lights and key on to see if the fogs light up.
by grounding the BCM terminal, you meant touching the fog terminal on BCM to any body ground right? sorry for noob question, just wanna make sure

1 - 20 of 29 Posts