Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Hyundai Parts Employee
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im trying to get AV status here, but the drones at autoguide are taking forever to get back to me. I ordered these LSD parts using a 3.8 VIN. Ive sent a couple of you pricing on these parts. What Im trying to do is identify exactly what you need to make this a seamless swap for you base model guys for the best price possible.

What you see here in these pictures is the case assy, which regardless of VIN or trim is the same. Whats different is the drive gears (shaft and ring gear) It looks like all you would need to do is bolt that gear to the case assy in your stock diff, and drop in the new shaft and reinstall the case assy.

What I need to know is
a) these are the basic parts you guys require for this swap (sans the case assy if youre just going to use your stock one)
b) what gaskets, seals, bearings you need so I can price it all together in one package.

I will not post prices until I have AV prices here. This thread is purely for information purposes.

thanks!

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
So Im trying to get AV status here, but the drones at autoguide are taking forever to get back to me. I ordered these LSD parts using a 3.8 VIN. Ive sent a couple of you pricing on these parts. What Im trying to do is identify exactly what you need to make this a seamless swap for you base model guys for the best price possible.

What you see here in these pictures is the case assy, which regardless of VIN or trim is the same. Whats different is the drive gears (shaft and ring gear) It looks like all you would need to do is bolt that gear to the case assy in your stock diff, and drop in the new shaft and reinstall the case assy.

What I need to know is
a) these are the basic parts you guys require for this swap (sans the case assy if youre just going to use your stock one)
b) what gaskets, seals, bearings you need so I can price it all together in one package.

I will not post prices until I have AV prices here. This thread is purely for information purposes.

thanks!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you got an open differential there my friend.

There is supposed to have way more gears in the center portion, you know the actual HELICAL gears that do the Tq transfer...

Pic I pulled from a Supra Torsen LSD page:

Torsen LSD info and pics

ALso see bwlow link, again showing cross sectional views of the 2 types of differentials (open and Torsen Type LSD), and again the differential you are showing is missing gears for sure.

Differentials (Open, LSD and so on)

The pictures you posted only show the ring gear and only a couple planetary gears inside the diff.

Please let me know.

EDIT: I'm now 99% sure you have ordered the wrong parts, please look @ picture #20a of the linked LSD swap Thread Whatnot made, you clearly see the open diff in the pumpkin(which looks exactly like the one you have), and @ picture #22 you see the LSD casing which is different than your pictures.

The LSD has a close type casing as opposed to the Open differential frame which is ...open.. (sorry had to)...LOL

http://www.gencoupe.com/articles-driveline/52467-open-differential-lsd-swap.html

·
Hyundai Parts Employee
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured teh case couldnt be correct. Its the same number across the board regardless if its a track or base. So it soundsl ike our catalog is wrong.

yeah I looked at whatnots thread, the catalog is definitely wrong.

Ill be making some calls to my tech center and figure this out.

This is the exact reason I made this thread lol

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
I figured teh case couldnt be correct. Its the same number across the board regardless if its a track or base. So it soundsl ike our catalog is wrong.

yeah I looked at whatnots thread, the catalog is definitely wrong.

Ill be making some calls to my tech center and figure this out.

This is the exact reason I made this thread lol
Great then, it served it's purpose..LOL:D

·
Hyundai Parts Employee
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My techline gave me another number to order, but he didnt find it in the catalog, he found it with his own parts searching system.

He said if that doesnt work Ill have to photograph what I have and as well as pictures of what it is supposed to be, send those to him, and hell forward it to the koreans.

Ill update this as soon as I know anything.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
This is great news for me as I'm one of those persons interested in a swap :)
Keep us updated!!!

·
Hyundai Parts Employee
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will do. I want to get together a complete swap package for you guys.

·
Banned
1,705 Posts
LSD sells for an arm and a leg at the dealership and the unit sold by quaife is by far better than the oem unit ..

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
LSD sells for an arm and a leg at the dealership and the unit sold by quaife is by far better than the oem unit ..
^^In What regards exactly? I'm curious...Any info would be great.

·
Hyundai Parts Employee
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im planning on selling it for well below MSRP, and you were probably quoted for the ENTIRE differential assy as every dealer uses the same base catalog info, so theres no way they would have looked up different part numbers than what I have.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Im planning on selling it for well below MSRP, and you were probably quoted for the ENTIRE differential assy as every dealer uses the same base catalog info, so theres no way they would have looked up different part numbers than what I have.
one of the dealerships I visited quoted me $3000 in parts and $1600 in labor charges :rofl:

oh and how is the Qualife unit so much better compared to the OEM Torsen unit? Even if the Qualife is a better unit, I doubt you can notice a huge difference since both are viscous type LSD :dunno:

·
Banned
1,705 Posts
^^In What regards exactly? I'm curious...Any info would be great.
it's just built better .. i had them side by side and i'm sure the real quaife thing won't blow
and it locks better

·
Banned
1,705 Posts
i ve been quoted 2400$ for a torsen unit at the stealership and 300$ labor for install ..

·
Hyundai Parts Employee
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah that 3000 is for the entire differential assembly.

I havent heard of any OEM diffs blowing...

·
WTF is NOS???
1,146 Posts
Please tell me you're saying you can get the Ring Gear & Pinion Assembly separate.... If so please PM me a Price for RG&P for a 2010 2.0 AT

·
Hyundai Parts Employee
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PM me your inquiries, I dont want to clutter this thread.

But ill message you

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
one of the dealerships I visited quoted me $3000 in parts and $1600 in labor charges :rofl:

oh and how is the Qualife unit so much better compared to the OEM Torsen unit? Even if the Qualife is a better unit, I doubt you can notice a huge difference since both are viscous type LSD :dunno:
No they are not...The Torsen unit in the GC is a mechanical type LSD with Helical gears. The oil in the differential is only used for lubrication, unlike the viscous type LSDs.

Viscous type LSDs are found in Subbies/older 350Z IIRC and such.

From Wiki:Limited slip differential - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Viscous LSD

The viscous type is generally simpler because it relies on hydrodynamic friction from fluids with high viscosity. Silicone-based oils are often used. Here, a cylindrical chamber of fluid filled with a stack of perforated discs rotates with the normal motion of the output shafts. The inside surface of the chamber is coupled to one of the driveshafts, and the outside coupled to the differential carrier. Half of the discs are connected to the inner, the other half to the outer, alternating inner/outer in the stack. Differential motion forces the interleaved discs to move through the fluid against each other. In some viscous couplings when speed is maintained the fluid will accumulate heat due to friction. This heat will cause the fluid to expand, and expand the coupler causing the discs to be pulled together resulting in a non-viscous plate to plate friction and a dramatic drop in speed difference. This is known as the hump phenomenon and it allows the side of the coupler to gently lock. In contrast to the mechanical type, the limiting action is much softer and more proportional to the slip, and so is easier to cope with for the average driver. "

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
No they are not...The Torsen unit in the GC is a mechanical type LSD with Helical gears. The oil in the differential is only used for lubrication, unlike the viscous type LSDs.

Viscous type LSDs are found in Subbies/older 350Z IIRC and such.

From Wiki:Limited slip differential - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Viscous LSD

The viscous type is generally simpler because it relies on hydrodynamic friction from fluids with high viscosity. Silicone-based oils are often used. Here, a cylindrical chamber of fluid filled with a stack of perforated discs rotates with the normal motion of the output shafts. The inside surface of the chamber is coupled to one of the driveshafts, and the outside coupled to the differential carrier. Half of the discs are connected to the inner, the other half to the outer, alternating inner/outer in the stack. Differential motion forces the interleaved discs to move through the fluid against each other. In some viscous couplings when speed is maintained the fluid will accumulate heat due to friction. This heat will cause the fluid to expand, and expand the coupler causing the discs to be pulled together resulting in a non-viscous plate to plate friction and a dramatic drop in speed difference. This is known as the hump phenomenon and it allows the side of the coupler to gently lock. In contrast to the mechanical type, the limiting action is much softer and more proportional to the slip, and so is easier to cope with for the average driver. "
thanks for clearing that up, what's your take on the difference between Torsen and Qualife? Significant differences?

and to the OP: please PM me an estimated price for a swap!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts