Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Wannabe Track Junky
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, before the flaming begins, I DID search. Really. Found a decent amount of information, but everybody either uses different terms or nobody comes out with a direct answer.

The 2010-2012 OEM wheels/lugnut seats- are they CONICAL/TAPERED, or BALL/SPHERICAL?

I just got my Forgestar F14s and from what I gather, they are conical/tapered seats. I can't easily find definitive info on whether the OEM lugs are conical or ball though... Just trying to figure out if I need new lugs or not.

Help is appreciated, even constructive criticism (I did a google "site:gencoupe.com" search, and didn't come up with as much as I was expecting). Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
on the 09-12 Coupes i know the Lugs are the ball type not tapered. 13's im not sure.

·
Registered
769 Posts
All Hyundai lugs are Conical.

Most after market wheel companies use a Conical seat versus spherical as Conical is more universal in OEM setups (unless you have a German car...those are studded lugs).

·
Wannabe Track Junky
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
on the 09-12 Coupes i know the Lugs are the ball type not tapered. 13's im not sure.
All Hyundai lugs are Conical.

Most after market wheel companies use a Conical seat versus spherical as Conical is more universal in OEM setups (unless you have a German car...those are studded lugs).
Yeah... that's the kind of info I've been seeing. One person says ball, the other conical...:squint:

just take one off and check.
Was kinda hoping to be lazy lol, but yeah I guess this is definitely my best bet. I've never messed with aftermarket lugs before, but it should be pretty obvious whether it's conical or spherical, right? I mean, easy to tell just by looking at it right?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Nope I'm pretty damn sure they are the ball type. Please reply when u find out because now I'm interested lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
469 Posts
theres a whole thread on lug nuts in the forum here somewhere

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Snoopy is right.

Don't listen to that Subaru driver :p
Lol you suck! I could've sworn when i removed my stock lugs they looked like a ball type. So what's the difference between conical and tapered. What's the angle of the taper?

·
Premium Member
13,004 Posts
Lol you suck! I could've sworn when i removed my stock lugs they looked like a ball type. So what's the difference between conical and tapered. What's the angle of the taper?

nothing, different term for the same 60 degree angle.

·
Wannabe Track Junky
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry guys, totally meant to reply to this last night, but forgot... They are conical. Definitely not ball.

M12x1.5 conical.
Bought some last year for my ForgeStars, OE's don't fit ForgeStars.
Why don't the OE's fit Forgestars? They're both conical...??

·
Wannabe Track Junky
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you can't get the wrench down far enough to tighten it without f*cking up your rims.
So an extension and I'm good...

I'll try out the OEM lugs first, and if I don't like 'em I'll get some aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
13,004 Posts
There's not enough room for a socket to be around the OE lug nut on some wheels.
this is what I meant. With how large the socket is it just won't fit in the holes. My Mutegi lugs are spline drive and the socket for them barely fits.

·
Wannabe Track Junky
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ahh, thanks for the clarification guys. And you're right, I tried a 21mm socket (OE lug size) and it just barely did NOT fit into the holes in my Forgestars. Guess I'm going aftermarket lugs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts