Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

81 - 100 of 145 Posts

·
13 White 2.0T R-Spec
182 Posts
i change mine every 3000 miles w royal purple :) i might be wasting money... but it makes me feel better haha

dont know what stopped me but decided not to go to dealer to get oil changed...;; i did have three free oil change cupons haha

·
My mistress is a GC!!
1,053 Posts
My ride is a weekend car so on the average I do drive her much less than 3k miles every 6 months and the manual recommends 3750 miles or every 6 months.
Do you change it anyway for every 6 months regardless the mileage = or < 3.75k miles?
I personally do change it anyway but just curious to know why car makers make that kind of recommendation.
Does oil degrade overtime, meaning loses its viscosity?

·
Super Moderator
13,000 Posts
My ride is a weekend car so on the average I do drive her much less than 3k miles every 6 months and the manual recommends 3750 miles or every 6 months.
Do you change it anyway for every 6 months regardless the mileage = or < 3.75k miles?
I personally do change it anyway but just curious to know why car makers make that kind of recommendation.
Does oil degrade overtime, meaning loses its viscosity?
There has been an update to the oil change intervals.

7200 miles or 12-months, whichever comes first.

The oil itself doesn't break down, the detergents and additives in it do.

·
My mistress is a GC!!
1,053 Posts
So I did the right thing then by changing it anyway over that time span regardless the number of miles have been driven (assuming < recommended miles) Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,000 Posts
First two years of my cars life it saw an oil change every single 3 months despite it took those two years to put 16,000 miles on it. Now that it's every 6 months for me (turbo) due to the TSB and my driving habits have changed, it hits the recommended milage first so that's when it gets done.

I never mess around when it comes to my vehicles fluids.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just to toss in my experience - 2010 2.0 T Premium. My dealership is bad news for a number of reasons, so I generally stay away from them whenever possible. But they have intimated that if I don't get the oil changed every 3750 miles - at their dealership - then the warranty no longer covers anything. I have never investigated this further but just wanted to throw out what some dealers - at least mine - are saying.

B

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,268 Posts
Just to toss in my experience - 2010 2.0 T Premium. My dealership is bad news for a number of reasons, so I generally stay away from them whenever possible. But they have intimated that if I don't get the oil changed every 3750 miles - at their dealership - then the warranty no longer covers anything. I have never investigated this further but just wanted to throw out what some dealers - at least mine - are saying.

B
I would ask the service manager to put that in writing. It would stop the nonsense right there.

·
Advenio Pariter
3,829 Posts

B
They all say that now with the extended warranty intervals. Frankly, I do not blame them. It is on you to prove you did the recommended maintenance. My dealer gives everybody a web site where all car maintenance goes into it. I document what I have done and anything they do also gets documented. I believe in the "infant mortality" rule with cars. I am not a hard driver so this works for me. I have a few years under my belt too. My car will likely break in the first couple years or give me excellent service. I am pretty meticulous about car maintenance and have never had a major issue as my mileage creeped-up. My car has not had one warranty claim and believe me I look for them. Now I will see how it ages. It will be paid-off in April and my daughter's college starts in August so I will be broke for a few years as I do not want her taking out loans. Ah Top Ramen! Those were the days! Mmmmm.

·
Registered
616 Posts
i change the oil, 5w20 royal purple spring and fall (with winter tire changes) and once mid summer.

i only put about 15k kilometers on my car a year. It equals to roughly every 5k kilometers.

·
Registered
217 Posts
they are putting a 100K warrenty on the engine, they want the oil changed every 3750 miles. I know alot of new cars are saying 5000 up to even 10K between oil changes, most of those companies arent giving a 100K warrenty on the motor.

·
Super Moderator
13,000 Posts
i change the oil, 5w20 royal purple spring and fall (with winter tire changes) and once mid summer.

i only put about 15k kilometers on my car a year. It equals to roughly every 5k kilometers.
You should switch to at least 5w-30, 20 turns to the viscosity of water when exposed to a screaming hot turbo, 40 would offer better protection.
2.0T's only need their oil changed every 6 months or 7700km's, whichever comes first per Hyundai's guidelines. With your rough usage of 15k a year, you might only need the oil changed whenever you switch tire sets.

information per TSB 09-EM-003

·
Registered
616 Posts
You should switch to at least 5w-30, 20 turns to the viscosity of water when exposed to a screaming hot turbo, 40 would offer better protection.
2.0T's only need their oil changed every 6 months or 7700km's, whichever comes first per Hyundai's guidelines. With your rough usage of 15k a year, you might only need the oil changed whenever you switch tire sets.

information per TSB 09-EM-003
when i went in to get my tires changed in december, i asked my guy for royal purple for the oil change and it was 5w20 as i didnt specify.

next time i go in in april i'm gonna ask him to do 5w40, thank snoopy.:) so now my question:

why would a mechanic who specializes in high power turbo cars put 5w20 and not 40? i need to understand his ideology.

·
Registered
616 Posts
no clue to be honest, I don't know him. I wouldn't run a 20 in a turbo'd car.
fair enough. i'll make sure i bring it up at the next change when things get warmer

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,268 Posts
when i went in to get my tires changed in december, i asked my guy for royal purple for the oil change and it was 5w20 as i didnt specify.

next time i go in in april i'm gonna ask him to do 5w40, thank snoopy.:) so now my question:

why would a mechanic who specializes in high power turbo cars put 5w20 and not 40? i need to understand his ideology.
Maybe because it is what Hyundai put on the oil cap?

·
Registered
616 Posts
ah thats right. it says 5w20 in my user manual as well...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I heard that the reason the spec was changed to 5W-30 was because direct injected engines are more prone to fuel dilution in the oil, and a 20 base weight doesn't hold up as well as a 30.

81 - 100 of 145 Posts