Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

121 - 140 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have been running pennzoil platinum synthetic 10w-30 at a 6500 mile interval. no moaning from the dealer about it either.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Old thread, but one of the clerks at the hyundai dealership was shocked that i was doing 4k oci on synthetic. I showed him the manual, and he showed me something else and told me to go 7k and that i'm wasting good oil. Figures. I'll still stick to doing 4-5k on pennzoil platinum

·
Advenio Pariter
3,829 Posts
7,500 OCI I think is for "normal" operation which virtually nobody falls under. With a turbo you are better safe than sorry. I do 4k miles intervals with M1 0w-40. Is that overkill? I certainly hope so because that "wasted oil" is likely to save me an expensive repair or push it farther down the road. Either was a win.

I religiously did 3k OCI with my Stealth. I had that car for over 170k miles and it virtually did not use any oil (may be a few ounces between changes) and I had no repairs at all related to the lubrication of the engine.

Happy to be wasting oil...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Was your stealth turbo'd or n/a and did you beat on her here and there?! Lol

Just trying to get an expectation for myself lol

·
Advenio Pariter
3,829 Posts
Was your stealth turbo'd or n/a and did you beat on her here and there?! Lol

Just trying to get an expectation for myself lol
NA R/T Model. I am really not a harsh driver. I like speed but I never race as in 0-60 or 1/4 miles times. That is stressful on a car. My clutch lasted around 150k miles on the Stealth. I am more mellow today, but I still mash it now and then and double yellow lines are not much of a deterrent when I am behind a slow poke. There was a red twin turbo at another dealership and I was cross-shopping a Talon AWD turbo. In 1991 I could not shake the turbo reliability issues from the '80's that I had seen with other people's cars.

I saw a great quote in Car and Driver.

Four cylinder turbos, the power of a V-6 and the mileage of a V-8. True that.

·
Registered
221 Posts
yeah im not taking any chances with going anything higher than 4.5k miles, with our "spirited" driving on the turbo, it's gonna break down oil faster than the dealer wants to tell you, especially for those that have tunes, the oil is working much harder with the amount of extra heat it produces. with that said, i use rotella t6, and so far so good.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I personally have been using 5w30 Quaker State full synthetic which i change roughly every 5-6k max.

·
Se habla Español
350 Posts
Your drivetrain is covered to 100k miles if you're the original owner or bought certified used. If the driver's manual says 7k changes, I'm doing 7k changes and Hyundai can eat a dick. it's in writing.

·
Super Moderator
40,498 Posts
So..... ummmm... let's get this straight.

You work for Hyundai.

As an official Hyundai representative you never read your owners manual regarding recommended oil changes.

As an official Hyundai representative, you didn't read anything that was covered in this thread.

As an official Hyundai representative, you are not aware of the recommendations in TSB 09-EM-003.

So....

when someone brings their car to you and you lie to them because you don't know what Hyundai really recommends.... do you get pissed when they call you a liar and you lose credibility?

·
Se habla Español
350 Posts
So..... ummmm... let's get this straight.

You work for Hyundai.

As an official Hyundai representative you never read your owners manual regarding recommended oil changes.

As an official Hyundai representative, you didn't read anything that was covered in this thread.

As an official Hyundai representative, you are not aware of the recommendations in TSB 09-EM-003.

So....

when someone brings their car to you and you lie to them because you don't know what Hyundai really recommends.... do you get pissed when they call you a liar and you lose credibility?
Give the guy a break. He said he works for Hyundai.....maybe as a receptionist.

·
Super Moderator
40,498 Posts
I assume that he informed us that he worked for Hyundai to gain some kind of credibility for what he went on to say. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with changing your oil more frequently than what the documentation requires... other than the fact that you keep pouring money out of your pocket... you lose cred points by not reading the thread and then making a ludicrous statement that is so easily challenged.

So... there are two ways I can take his statement:

1) He thinks that we are all so stupid that we cannot open an owner's manual to determine how often we should change our oil..... or....

2) He is so completely detached from reality that he believes that because he says he works for Hyundai that anything he says completely trumps any kind of official documentation that was published for the company he supposedly works for.

Any guesses at to which way I'm taking his statement?

·
Se habla Español
350 Posts
So... there are two ways I can take his statement:

1) He thinks that we are all so stupid that we cannot open an owner's manual to determine how often we should change our oil..... or....

2) He is so completely detached from reality that he believes that because he says he works for Hyundai that anything he says completely trumps any kind of official documentation that was published for the company he supposedly works for.

Any guesses at to which way I'm taking his statement?
I'll take that challenge for $500 Bob.

My answer to question 1. "Have you met the Average American? They're ****ing retards! People are so lazy that I fully believe they'd listen to anything, anyone at the dealer says instead of taking 30 seconds to look it up themselves."

2. See #1 .

*full disclosure: I'm American, born/raised.*

·
Super Moderator
40,498 Posts
I'm a big believer in Darwinism.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Your oil change interval depends on your driving style and climate and in order to determine your specific interval you need to do an oil analysis. The oil analysis should look at several factors that include viscosity, particle count or measure of insolubles, and spectroscopy analysis to determine presence of wear metals, additives, oxidation, coolant contamination, and other contaminants. If these values exceed the recommended tolerances then you need to shorten your interval.

121 - 140 of 145 Posts