Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

141 - 145 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just changed out pennzoil platinum 5w30 at 3.7ish k and put in Rotella t6, and my car feels alive now. It's definetly not a placebo effect. I did beat the piss out of the car though. My theory is 5w30, plus spooling hard = too low of a viscosity

·
Se habla Español
350 Posts
Your oil change interval depends on your driving style and climate and in order to determine your specific interval you need to do an oil analysis. The oil analysis should look at several factors that include viscosity, particle count or measure of insolubles, and spectroscopy analysis to determine presence of wear metals, additives, oxidation, coolant contamination, and other contaminants. If these values exceed the recommended tolerances then you need to shorten your interval.
Although very true, for those that don't have the finances, time nor patience for this, just follow the recommended change intervals listed in the owner's manual.

I just changed out pennzoil platinum 5w30 at 3.7ish k and put in Rotella t6, and my car feels alive now. It's definetly not a placebo effect. I did beat the piss out of the car though. My theory is 5w30, plus spooling hard = too low of a viscosity
No, that's exactly what a placebo effect is.

Oil (when changed at proper intervals) has a minuscule effect on daily vehicle performance. What you are feeling, is a psychological effect of your own actions. It's not an increase of performance due to the change of lubricant used.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
It only takes a couple of tests (~$50) to confirm in you're over changing or under changing which in turn saves you money for the lifetime of the car be it money saved in oil changes or worst case new engine, take your pick.

·
Registered
256 Posts
True I agree. But I don't mind changing it a bit early and spending some money. Tests do help, but with weather constantly changing in New England, I'm sure test results will vary during the time of year.

141 - 145 of 145 Posts