Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a 2010 3.8 Grand Touring Genesis Coupe w/ 30k miles.
A few weeks ago, the check engine light came on so I brought it the dealership. The told me the oil control valve failed. The good news is that it was fully covered by the warranty. They put me in a rental car (for free) and I was back in my car in a couple of days.

I wish that was the end of the story :) Last week, the check engine light came on again! I went to the dealership and they said the OCV failed again.

The mechanic said he's going to replace it for the 2nd time and that I should get an oil change. Has anyone else ran into this issue? Any advice?

Thanks!

P.S. The only resource I could find was here:
pages.suddenlink.net/daydreamer/Coupe%20TSBs/Engine%20Mechanical%20System/09-EM-002%20CVVT%20OIL%20CONTROL%20VALVE%20INSPECTION.pdf

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The mechanic didn't find any metal shavings in the OCV so the problem must have been electrical. It was giving a P0014 timing over-advanced error.

Anyway, they replaced the OCV and I got an oil change just in case. The check engine light is off for now, but we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ugh! It just happened again! This is the third time this has happened! What can be causing the OCV to keep on failing (despite being replaced)?

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
Ugh! It just happened again! This is the third time this has happened! What can be causing the OCV to keep on failing (despite being replaced)?
I don't think it is the valve keeps failing due to internal issue, because we don't replace many of them. Its not a common issue like a brake lamp switch. So something is causing it to fail or the code is being set by something else with the OCV not actually being bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think it is the valve keeps failing due to internal issue, because we don't replace many of them. Its not a common issue like a brake lamp switch. So something is causing it to fail or the code is being set by something else with the OCV not actually being bad.
What do you recommend I tell the dealership when I come in?

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,711 Posts
Tell them to find the problem. Even a monkey can swap parts. :)

What is your oil change frequency? What oil do you use?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Could be the connector, harness, heck even possibly the ECM. Most of the time I see them is from an clogged up OCV filter or passageways in the cvvt/passageways normally due to lack of maintenance. I just had to replace a theta engine in an 07 sonata due to sludging. However since you said your oil looks good and has been changed at correct intervals, then I would probably point to the connector and later a break/short in the harness.

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
What do you recommend I tell the dealership when I come in?
Like Red said, ask them to please find out what is shorting it out as you are tired of returning & wasting fuel.

Could be the connector, harness, heck even possibly the ECM. Most of the time I see them is from an clogged up OCV filter or passageways in the cvvt/passageways normally due to lack of maintenance. I just had to replace a theta engine in an 07 sonata due to sludging. However since you said your oil looks good and has been changed at correct intervals, then I would probably point to the connector and later a break/short in the harness.
Yep, when we do have one come in for an OCV issue it is due to sludging.

·
Registered
16 Posts
They ever figure out what it was? Curious because I'm having the same issue. OCV failure on exhaust side. Second one replaced in a month.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They ever figure out what it was? Curious because I'm having the same issue. OCV failure on exhaust side. Second one replaced in a month.
The engine finally gave out after 50k miles. Luckily, the warranty covered it and I got a brand new engine. So far so good.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Dang, I just had my 2011 GT in for that CEL last week and am still waiting for the part. Fortunately, all the oil/filter changes have been done by the dealership. Because I don't drive that many miles, the changes have been every six months since new.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts