so wheres it mean when ur BOV is spitting out OIL? LOL

·
 ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
1,913 Posts
Get a catch can :)

·
Banned
7,214 Posts
I've worked on a number of 2.0T cars with aftermarket BOVs, they all spit a TON of oil out the BOV.

Get a catch can!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Can anyone recommend a catch can that isn't expensive that will get the job done. Been thinking of doing this for a while now and just haven't gotten around to it. I see some for cheap on Ebay, just don't know if they are worth buying or not. Maybe there is something specific people should look for when buying one? :dunno:

·
Fast Member!
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
do you have an aftermarket blow off valve? If so, what type? Where is it mounted? Did you route your own hose or use the OEM one?

Tial bov, Thottle botte side.
Yeah i thought it meant get a Catchcan! LOL that i can do! LOL

·
Premium Member
16,014 Posts
Can anyone recommend a catch can that isn't expensive that will get the job done. Been thinking of doing this for a while now and just haven't gotten around to it. I see some for cheap on Ebay, just don't know if they are worth buying or not. Maybe there is something specific people should look for when buying one? :dunno:
Go to hardware store.

ask for a fitting that is a moisture extractor for air compressors, put in line with the breather hose from the valve cover to the intake.

check every so often, unscrew and dump the oil, then rescew back on :p.

EDIT:
http://www.pbase.com/rsrock/oil_catch_can

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100027474

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Go to hardware store.

ask for a fitting that is a moisture extractor for air compressors, put in line with the breather hose from the valve cover to the intake.

check every so often, unscrew and dump the oil, then rescew back on :p.

EDIT:
Home Made Oil Catch Can Photo Gallery by AZ Solo at pbase.com

Husky 1/4 in. Air Compressor Filter - HDA70403AV at The Home Depot
That's actually a pretty good idea. It's clear so you can see if it needs to be emptied. I just might try this and it's cheap too.

Thanks

$26.99 in Canada. :( Husky - Air compressor filter, 1/4 In. - HDA70400AV - Home Depot Canada

·
Premium Member
13,004 Posts
If you're blowing oil out of a BOV on the throttle body side.. I'd pull my intercooler and drain it.
That's a lot of blow by.

But yes, get a catch can of some sort. I have one from ebay and it collects lots. Though, most of what I catch is between my PCV valve and valve cover rather than my intake and valve cover.

·
Banned
7,214 Posts
you shoulda seen Stig's IC elbows when he pulled em off his car, it was like pouring soup out of a bowl, LOL...

·
Knows some stuff...
6,852 Posts
http://www.gencoupe.com/australia/31901-diy-oil-catch-can-install.html

Also, isn't the PCV hooked into the IM, which also the BOV I assume in this ase gets its signal? So that is my guess on teh oil's source rather than the form the turbo all the way through the IC. But I could be wrong, just a guess.

FWIW, I have a catch can and breather and have taken my intake off the compressor a few times with no oil at all and my BOV (hooked up to IM) never has any oil that I have found spit out.

Though when I do empty my catch can it is probably one of the strongest smells I think I smelled come out of a car. My guess is the oil sitting in the can waiting to be emptied turns to sludge? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
13,004 Posts
Well.. the PCV valve is behind the throttle plate, and idealy the throttle plate is closed when the BOV opens, so it shouldn't be able to get oil from the PCV valve to the BOV. When you think that the throttle plate will act as a partially open door, the engine itself is generating vacuum, and at that time should be sucking oil and fuel vapor from the PCV valve into itself. Where as the BOV is receiving positive pressure from the intake piping, which would be forcing air at the throttle plate, not creating a vacuum at it.

Could be wrong though.

·
Knows some stuff...
6,852 Posts
Nevermind lol, I didn't think that through. I forget the BOV vacuum signal is on the other side of the venting valve. I guess it would have to come form the compressor and the IC. So I don't know if a catch can would work, but the brather should, as that prevent oil from getting to the intake and compressor, where as teh catch can is more preventing oil from getting into the IM right?

·
Premium Member
16,014 Posts
I assume that the BOV is on the turbo, and not on the pipe that goes to the TB?

if it was on the elbow, that would be a feat to have oil coming out of there :p. lol

·
Premium Member
76,154 Posts
I assume that the BOV is on the turbo, and not on the pipe that goes to the TB?

if it was on the elbow, that would be a feat to have oil coming out of there :p. lol
No it's on the elbow by the throttle body.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts