Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was informed by the shop that the Oil Housing on the engine I swapped in (2.0T from a 2013 R-Spec) is leaking and needs to be replaced... so I have a few questions:

1. How hard is it to replace this myself? I replaced the whole engine, so I would think this would be ok.
  2. Could it simply be the gasket on the housing, and not the entire housing?
  3. Any reason the shop would quote me $650 to fix it?

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,444 Posts
Are you talking about the oil filter mount? I've taken mine off more times that I can remember and it's mostly doable from the top. Using a long socket and short extension. I don't have the oil cooler on mine though. I've always reused the steel gasket too.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
With the labor they are quoting, its the upper housing they are talking about.

Picture this:

Oil pan
RTV gasket
Bottom of upper housing
Oil uptake
Upper housing
RTV sealant to block

Its not hard, its just labor and time. Access a Hyundai schematic, you'll see.

**Remember, any mechanic will quote work based on a 80-85 dollar per man hour to the job. Hyundai specifies man hours to each job. (This is mainly for warranty repair reimbursement, but all dealer use this as base for charging out of pocket repairs).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's the bottom one, tech just showed me. There's a small leak from the metal ring going around the upper part of where the filter goes. I'm gonna just put a good bead of ATV Sealant on there and keep an eye on it. It's a very minor leak.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,444 Posts
Sounds like the cooler is either not tight enough or the gasket for it is leaking. Is it leaking above the cooler or at the filter adapter to block?

I think the center bore threaded part for the filter has a hex for an allen inside it with the filter off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts