Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ever since I finished rebuilding my engine, the oil has been disappearing. I first thought it was that it was getting burned. I took off the throttle body boot and the intercooler pipe attached to it and there was a good amount of oil, so I'm assuming that's where all the oil has been going. Probably going to need to get a new intercooler with all the oil that's been getting in there. This only happens when I floor it and the turbo engages. I installed an oil catch can thinking that could solve it, but nope. Is there anything else that could be causing this? Bad seals on valves maybe?

·
Parts Pro & Lic Mechanic
1,297 Posts
Ever since I finished rebuilding my engine, the oil has been disappearing. I first thought it was that it was getting burned. I took off the throttle body boot and the intercooler pipe attached to it and there was a good amount of oil, so I'm assuming that's where all the oil has been going. Probably going to need to get a new intercooler with all the oil that's been getting in there. This only happens when I floor it and the turbo engages. I installed an oil catch can thinking that could solve it, but nope. Is there anything else that could be causing this? Bad seals on valves maybe?
Intercoolers can be removed and back flushed with chemicals to remove oil and oil residue. No need to replace it, when you can simply clean it out.

Perhaps your turbo seal is gone on the inlet side, dumping oil into the intake stream

Just my 2 cents.
Duro

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
You kind ve answered your own question, all thats left is the source:

1. Oil has been disappearing, question is how?
a. Are your plugs oil fouled
b. You have located greater than normal amounts in your intercooler................the next question becomes how did it get there.

I submit to you its a compressor side turbo issue, the seals are shot for whatever reason. The oil comes from the turbo and is now moving its way through your IC system. It lands in the IM and ultimately in your cylinder. Your valves probably look like **** too.

·
Premium Member
16,139 Posts
You kind ve answered your own question, all thats left is the source:

1. Oil has been disappearing, question is how?
a. Are your plugs oil fouled
b. You have located greater than normal amounts in your intercooler................the next question becomes how did it get there.

I submit to you its a compressor side turbo issue, the seals are shot for whatever reason. The oil comes from the turbo and is now moving its way through your IC system. It lands in the IM and ultimately in your cylinder. Your valves probably look like **** too.
A turbo leaking oil doesn't usually happens in large amounts right away. When seals in the turbo starts to fail, you would notice smoke out the tail pipe.

The valve cover on this engine only has 1 PVC valve. This is a one way valve that only lets "air" flow from the valve cover to the intake manifold (for emissions reasons). So when the intake manifold is under vacuum.
The other vent hose goes to the intake, before the turbo. When the PVC valve fails on a turbo engine, it is pressurizing the valve train/crank case. That pressure has to go somewhere and the goes out the vent hose, into the intake.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
A turbo leaking oil doesn't usually happens in large amounts right away. When seals in the turbo starts to fail, you would notice smoke out the tail pipe.

The valve cover on this engine only has 1 PVC valve. This is a one way valve that only lets "air" flow from the valve cover to the intake manifold (for emissions reasons). So when the intake manifold is under vacuum.
The other vent hose goes to the intake, before the turbo. When the PVC valve fails on a turbo engine, it is pressurizing the valve train/crank case. That pressure has to go somewhere and the goes out the vent hose, into the intake.
What youre referring to is the most common oil leak from a turbo, the exhaust side. Heck the PCV vac system can cause oil to pull through the exhaust side. Then the symptoms are smoke and smell because the oil oil is leaking into the exhaust.

The above is quite indicative of a compressor side seal which blows into the hot pipe then into the IC.
I say this because a good friend of mine who had a turbo veloster did this, he popped the compressor side, same thing as above. The dealer replaced the entire turbo. (KO3 S Borg warner).

Your scenario is a true possibilty, and is a good illustration of why all turbo cars should vent their breather side.
PCV side is a closed loop.
Breather side should dump into a can which has a hose to the road with a breather filter on it. This line runs from the drain base of the OCC, like in a Saikou Michi. The high apeture should have another breather filter on it. This apeture pulls air when the car is in vacuum. This loop is NOT attached to the intake. We want no oily residue in our IM.:wink:

·
Premium Member
16,139 Posts
What youre referring to is the most common oil leak from a turbo, the exhaust side. Heck the PCV vac system can cause oil to pull through the exhaust side. Then the symptoms are smoke and smell because the oil oil is leaking into the exhaust.

The above is quite indicative of a compressor side seal which blows into the hot pipe then into the IC.
I say this because a good friend of mine who had a turbo veloster did this, he popped the compressor side, same thing as above. The dealer replaced the entire turbo. (KO3 S Borg warner).

Your scenario is a true possibilty, and is a good illustration of why all turbo cars should vent their breather side.
PCV side is a closed loop.
Breather side should dump into a can which has a hose to the road with a breather filter on it. This line runs from the drain base of the OCC, like in a Saikou Michi. The high apeture should have another breather filter on it. This apeture pulls air when the car is in vacuum. This loop is NOT attached to the intake. We want no oily residue in our IM.:wink:
Sigh..... re-read the first post (he hasn't even responded back to the thread).

Flooring it, it dumps oil into the intake side. No mention of "smoke", only assumed burning. No mention of a breather, just a catch can.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Sigh..... re-read the first post (he hasn't even responded back to the thread).

Flooring it, it dumps oil into the intake side. No mention of "smoke", only assumed burning. No mention of a breather, just a catch can.
Yeah, I'm just sharing ideas. I 'm not even familiar with the setup of the 2.0. Or where the breather hooks into the intake.
Just saying have seen both circumstances.

Be a easy diagnostic. Pull the breather line, vent to the road, If the problem continues, its the compressor side. If it stops, it was as you spoke.

·
Premium Member
16,139 Posts
Yeah, I'm just sharing ideas. I 'm not even familiar with the setup of the 2.0. Or where the breather hooks into the intake.
Just saying have seen both circumstances.

Be a easy diagnostic. Pull the breather line, vent to the road, If the problem continues, its the compressor side. If it stops, it was as you spoke.
There are NO breathers on ANY OEM North American road legal cars since like late 1970s. Why? emmissions.

If there were a breather, it's would have been routed to the intake or the exhaust. 1 inlet (intake) and one outlet (exhaust) for the engine.
If there was a breather put on, it would have been after the fact. I can guarantee that if emissions inspection is required, you would fail visual inspection... because monitoring more that 1 source of vapor emissions from an engine, the equipment isn't made to work like that.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
There are NO breathers on ANY OEM North American road legal cars since like late 1970s. Why? emmissions.

If there were a breather, it's would have been routed to the intake or the exhaust. 1 inlet (intake) and one outlet (exhaust) for the engine.
If there was a breather put on, it would have been after the fact. I can guarantee that if emissions inspection is required, you would fail visual inspection... because monitoring more that 1 source of vapor emissions from an engine, the equipment isn't made to work like that.
Im not saying a "breather" in literal terms. When I sat breather it refers to the portion of line that dumps into the intake.

Usually all PCV systems have a PCV side and then another line, which dumps into the intake.

Im in Indiana,...no emissions inspections . Thank goodness for farmers and their machinery, no ethanol fuel and no inspections.:laugh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts