Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· I'd rather do it myself
20,379 Posts
Easy peasy. Take the filter adaptor off and drill it out for a 1/8" npt. That's a better place for oil temp though.

For oil pressure you can get a steel tee that is the correct thread to mate with the car, keep the light and add the npt thread for a pressure gauge. Do not use brass fittings here.

· Registered
58 Posts
RR, I know this is OLD info and none of the 3.8 have the ability to tap the housing since it is plastic, not metal. My question is this, the water temp sensor in these cars are also the 1/8th BSPT? Not sure what these sizes are since I always deal in Metric. I am looking at my BK1 plastic housing now to see if I can tap it anyway since I was going to put my sensor at the end of the Oil Filter Cap like I did on the SLK as per service manual. I have a sensor for water also and dont feel like r&r the pipe to tap like you did, maybe when I refresh the cooling system. I believe I have this adaptor and may try it in place of the OEM temp sensor just to see how bad it will be since you mentioned that area does not have coolant all the time.

· I'd rather do it myself
20,379 Posts
You don't want to use a tee on a temp sensor as you only get the temp of the tee. I drilled and tapped the metal water manifold for my sensor threads.

You can get an adapter that is 1/8 BSTF x 1/8 NPTF, then use a 1/8NPT extension hose to run it out to where you can get to it. My AM gauge oil pressure sensor is on the end of a 18" hose up by the battery.

· Registered
51 Posts
You don't want to use a tee on a temp sensor as you only get the temp of the tee. I drilled and tapped the metal water manifold for my sensor threads.

You can get an adapter that is 1/8 BSTF x 1/8 NPTF, then use a 1/8NPT extension hose to run it out to where you can get to it. My AM gauge oil pressure sensor is on the end of a 18" hose up by the battery.

Great trick and tips there!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts