Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello first post. Have a 2010 3.8 GT. had issue with low pressure light coming on after a oil change. Found oil in the v of the motor. concluded I had a leaky oil pressure sensor. Ok so had mechanic change it out. Stupid place for the sensor have to remove the intake manifold. So did all that put in a factory switch. Now the low pressure light comes on at idle. not sure if it is leaking or what. Any similar stories what did you do? Help a noob please.

·
Registered
325 Posts
We had this same issue, leaky oil pressure sensor, seems to be a rare problem. Oil pressure light on at idle means you have a leak somewhere. That's what ours did before we got it fixed. Check for leaks again. Don't let it run too low on oil.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So It did not leak any oil overnight. But the light still comes on at idle 750rpm. Could it be a defective oil switch or is there another problem?

·
Registered
325 Posts
If it isn't leaking then you're gonna need to do some legit diagnostics. You need to independently verify your engine oil pressure to see if the sensor is reading incorrectly or if you genuinely have low oil pressure. This is done by installing a "manual" oil pressure gauge into one of the engine's oil galleys so that the true oil pressure can be read from under the hood. Then it's just a matter of comparing the numbers to what the factory service manual says they should be.

Good old Eric the Car Guy did a decent video explanation of the process:

That will get you on the right track for sure. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks do you know if the pressure test can be done from the oil temperature sensor?

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,458 Posts
Thanks do you know if the pressure test can be done from the oil temperature sensor?
The OE sender is a dumb on/off switch. You could remove it and test with a analog gauge. The thread is 1/8"x 28 BSTP, at least on the 2L.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh thanks but on the 3.8 the oil pressure switch is in the V, have to remove intake manifold to get to it. I was hopeing the oil temperature sensor is located on on the outside and that could be used hook up a manual pressure gauge. I was told by the dealer it is possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the next question is there a chart saying what the pressure should be at idle and other Rpms? My concern is it maybe a bad oil pump. There is only 60,000 miles synthetic oil since we got the car at 24000.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,458 Posts
Well yes you could use the oil temp sender location too. It probably has the same thread pitch.

Normally the standard is 10 psi per 1000 rpm on hot oil (200f or so). The switch is probably around 6-7 psi if working good.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,458 Posts
I would plug the OE temp sensor back in even though it is not installed so as not to get a engine light.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i was in the middle of doing a timing chain but ended up not needing it i put everything back together and now i have a oil light at idle if i give it gas even a little the light goes away not sure what it could be

·
Registered
1 Posts
i was in the middle of doing a timing chain but ended up not needing it i put everything back together and now i have a oil light at idle if i give it gas even a little the light goes away not sure what it could be
Had the same issue, I took off manifold to see if it was faulty wiring and looked good, so my other guess was the oil pump and fixed it, no more oil light.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Had the same issue, I took off manifold to see if it was faulty wiring and looked good, so my other guess was the oil pump and fixed it, no more oil light.
So at idle if I run the car hard it does this to me, every now and then, I did take the car to hyundai to replace the oil pressure switch and harness, and now it does it to me every time I run the car hard.

So your saying you replace the oil pump and that fix it?

Am also thinking on changing oil brand and see if thats why, since I been running like this for the pass two years.
by the way I been using Pennzoil platinum 5w-30 full Synthetic for the pass 2 yr, and I have read some reviews online about synthetic oil, and that it can lower or rise your pressure by +5/-5, and I guess pennzoil is making it thinner, from what I been reading online. On a positive note they say its ok, as the flow of oil is higher, it just does not have the pressure to push the switch al the way at idle.

Went I change my oil I will let you guys know.

·
Registered
55 Posts
so I change the oil again and now the oil light blink at me went I drive normal or hard at idl, if I turn on the ac it goes away, lol, but one weird thing is the for the second time in a round after changing oil, it only took 5 quart. I don't now what to think?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts