Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the current sandy plate I have is leaking, So im looking for a new one that would hopefully prevent this. Now I have a oil pressure/temp. But later down the line I plan on adding a oil cooler.

I read here on the forum that snoopy had no issues with this plate
Oil Filter Sender Adapter - 20mm 1.5 Thread

Will this work with 2 sensors? Plus the addition of an oil cooler, with a bypass for when the its below freezing? Also if you guys recommend a sandwhich that wont leak that would be great!

·
Registered
469 Posts
which one are you currently running? i ordered the glowshift one in the link u listed, havent had a chance to install it yet though.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just have a universal one at the moment

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,611 Posts
I have a Blox one. I though it leaked until I checked out the plugs they used. They were simple allen set screws and not a tapered plug. Switching to the tapered plugs fixed the issue.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Blox one. I though it leaked until I checked out the plugs they used. They were simple allen set screws and not a tapered plug. Switching to the tapered plugs fixed the issue.
Is This the one you used?

Oil Filter Block Adapters

Does it allow for both an oil temp and pressure?

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,611 Posts
Yes that's what I had. The only problem with these types of adapters is where the oil pressure is taken from and that is before the filter. OEM Hyundai has the pressure sensor after the filter.

Hyundai's oil filter spec is a 20 psi differential before the bypass on the filter opens. So the pressure will read higher than it really is after the filter.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes that's what I had. The only problem with these types of adapters is where the oil pressure is taken from and that is before the filter. OEM Hyundai has the pressure sensor after the filter.

Hyundai's oil filter spec is a 20 psi differential before the bypass on the filter opens. So the pressure will read higher than it really is after the filter.
Yah, i noticed my oil pressue is quite high when on the highway +60psi, I guess this would explain why.

The only problem with the Blox, is that it does not say what size of sandwhich plate it is or how many 1/8" NPT ports it has

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,611 Posts
That's where my oil pressure sender is at now too. I need to move it to a tee with the OEM sender.

I'm not saying the pressure will read 20 lbs higher all the time. It is only when the filter is impeding flow to that point.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,611 Posts
Unless you know your oil temp is too high I doubt if you need one. Don't know what the conditions are where you live.

If you drive it hard or track it or live in the desert then you probably need it.

But the Mishi is a good one.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unless you know your oil temp is too high I doubt if you need one. Don't know what the conditions are where you live.

If you drive it hard or track it or live in the desert then you probably need it.

But the Mishi is a good one.
I do plan on tracking it this year, I got it in aug last year and didnt have a chance to go last year, but after reading about high temps when tracking i though might as well kill 2 birds with one stone. In summer it is 34-40c. Im also hoping that this sandwhich plate wont leak

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Looking at the specs of the sandwhich plate, Will it fit our car?

Overall Size
3.15" x 2.8" x 1.11"

It does not say anything about thread. And thats what im really concerned with atm because of my current leaking sandwhich plate.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,611 Posts
You need the 20 mm thread. It sounds like you may have the 3/4"-16 thread on your leaker.

You can put a 20mm filter on a 3/4" base but not a 3/4" filter on a 20mm base. The 20 mm will screw on and tighten somewhat.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You need the 20 mm thread. It sounds like you may have the 3/4"-16 thread on your leaker.

You can put a 20mm filter on a 3/4" base but not a 3/4" filter on a 20mm base. The 20 mm will screw on and tighten somewhat.
I know it needs to be 20mm. What i mean is it does not say the thread size on this

Oil Sandwich Plate, Silver, by Mishimoto

Which is the one that comes in the oil cooler kit with the 2 1/8" NPT Ports
and M20 x 1.5" Ports.

BTW thanks for all your help RED. I really Appreciate it

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,611 Posts
What I was saying is you may have a 3/4x16 on your car now and that is why it leaks.

If you are asking about the hose fitting thread I suppose it is whatever comes with the kit. 3/8" NPT x 1/2" hose is what my adapter has.

But looking at their accessories the an adapter fitting is 20mm.

http://www.mishimoto.com/sandwich-plate-fitting-m20-x-10an.html

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What I was saying is you may have a 3/4x16 on your car now and that is why it leaks.

If you are asking about the hose fitting thread I suppose it is whatever comes with the kit. 3/8" NPT x 1/2" hose is what my adapter has.

But looking at their accessories the an adapter fitting is 20mm.

Sandwich Plate Fitting M20 x -10AN, by Mishimoto
Lol i think where missing what each other is saying :)

Im more worried right now about if the sandwhich plate i listed will fit the car with no leaks. I dont believe my leaks are coming from the adaptors on my car ATM

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,611 Posts
Well what thread are you talking about?

There is an adapter nipple that you use to mount the cooler adapter. This would need to be 20 mm female for the engine side and 20 mm male for the filter side.

What can happen is you may have an adapter nipple on there that is 20 mm female and 3/4-16 male on the filter side. This may be why your filter is leaking.

As far as the kit you need to ask them what the thread is for the adapters. With the adapter I have it came with 5 different adapter nipples.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had it looked at to see if we could find where the leak was, And they suggested getting new O rings, but where not sure what size i needed. Would you happen to know?

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,611 Posts
You need to take the O ring off and go shopping. If there is a Motion Industry outlet near you they have all kinds of O rings that you can get individually.

But if I was taking the filter off I would get a cheap filter that has 3/4 " x 16 threads and see if it threads on. If it does it has the wrong thread adapter on it.

About any pre 2000 Ford or Chrysler engine uses that thread.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quick update. I went with the glowshit and have not seen any oil spots. Its been on for about a week now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts