Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I would like to just make the car a little more growly (13 turbo) muffler shop says yes, do it all the time... magnaflow can, simple process. But after doing some reading, will I have to do tuning after this? Or is this a non issue.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
26 Posts
No you wont have to tune, a tune is never bad, but has nothing to do with your exhaust system.

Before I get raided on here, YES your car will sound different after a tune, but a tune is in no way necessary after modifying your exhaust.

TIP: keep your original exhaust system so you can have it reinstalled before SMOG

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for advice, I appreciate that, really don’t want to throw away the money if smog rules demand I put it back on. So, a tune will modify the car’s sound as well?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for advice, I appreciate that, really don’t want to throw away the money if smog rules demand I put it back on. So, a tune will modify the car’s sound as well?
Yes, tuning as a general definition is messing with the "stoichiometric ratio" (the air/fuel ratio) across your power band (the RPMs). This changing of the ratio usually results in a different sound.
Most tune for performance applications, or after they've installed aftermarket parts that require a different ratio to work properly.

However, some show cars will tune for the sole purpose of a different exhaust note, (google: "pop tune")

A change in your air fuel ratio is not necessary after changing your exhaust (in almost all cases) as the exhaust deals with air that's already been combusted.

Aftermarket tuning almost always results in bad SMOG checks, so if your going to get a tune its best to find a stock ECU (the control unit they tune) from a junkyard that you can plug in a month or so before you go in for your SMOG. (and put your stock exhaust back in)

Advice: Going for a new tune is usually best set for later in your "build path" (plan of your mods) as its super important to find an honest tuner that does good work and won't rip you off. (best done through getting to know the community, and talking to people who've been tuned by your guy)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Forgot to mention, you can just change your muffler out if your looking for a SMOG compliant option. A "catback exhaust system" is what you may be looking for.
Exhaust systems are routed like this (in general)

Engine
Headers (used to route from the engine to the bottom of the vehicle)
Collectors (used to 'collect' all the air from each header pipe into one pipe)
Catalytic converter CAT (makes your car pollute less harmful emission )
Down pipe (pipe that goes 'down' the vehicle to the back)
Muffler (deafens the sound)
Splitter (splits the exhaust into two pipes so it looks cool in the back)
Exhaust tips (just something on the end that looks better then regular metal)

Your down pipe is what has a fitting in it for your sensors that detect the pollutant level after the CAT has changed the pollutant level.
Its these sensors that are read during SMOG to determine if you pass/fail.

You can purchase a catback exhaust and still be SMOG compliant, because it only changes the piping after the CAT (hence the catback)

Included in almost every catback kit is a muffler that dampens less of the sound making the engine louder and meaner.
Increasing the pipe-width of the downpipe and exhaust tips also changes the sound.

Best way to find out the whats best for you is to go to meets and most newer enthusiasts have a catback system because they can't be bothered with failing SMOG.
Just ask them to rev it, they'd love to :D

Remember that most cities have laws against really loud vehicles, but its almost never enforced unless your being a nuisance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow this is great info! Thanks.. I have called a few muffler shops, one saysthey can just do a muffler delete and it would not be too loud at all, the other says, no..it will be Loud and that I need to buy a particular performance muffler. Not sure who to believe.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow this is great info! Thanks.. I have called a few muffler shops, one saysthey can just do a muffler delete and it would not be too loud at all, the other says, no..it will be Loud and that I need to buy a particular performance muffler. Not sure who to believe.
In almost all cities just straight up deleting is usually too loud to comply with code.

Its sometimes not enforced strictly, hence why you can find shops that have no problem doing the work. The tickets are fix-it tickets but run a couple hundred if you don't fix it.

Example: I've gotten a ticket for exaust noise, waited a week, and just found a cool cop who signed off on it.

Be skeptical about any shop that wants you to buy part x y or z, and it's probably best to buy the parts yourself and just pay the shop labor.

The typical upcharge is 20%, but any shop will charge as much as they think they can get away with. The whole industry is that way, and in the US there's even a government entity for preventing rip offs (BAR)

Never trust a shop, but always trust your mechanic

·
Registered
26 Posts
What you can do is ask if the shop has a decibel reader, then have them take measurements of how loud it is with no muffler, and compare it to the legal limit.
(Just find the law)

Remember also that when your redlining its obviously going to be louder, so you should be seeing what the sound output is when your going the speed limit or your normal driving speed.

Many stock cars have exausts that are already too loud, just like they have cars that can go too fast, it's just that your not supposed to rev/drive that high.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What you can do is ask if the shop has a decibel reader, then have them take measurements of how loud it is with no muffler, and compare it to the legal limit.
(Just find the law)

Remember also that when your redlining its obviously going to be louder, so you should be seeing what the sound output is when your going the speed limit or your normal driving speed.

Many stock cars have exausts that are already too loud, just like they have cars that can go too fast, it's just that your not supposed to rev/drive that high.
If it's too loud then u can guesstimate how much of a muffler u really need.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Watched vid of 2.0, muffler delete with hi flow converter, sounded nice but a bit too loud, can a short muffler be added?

·
Registered
26 Posts
There's thousands of different mufflers all using different methods for sound dampening.

All mufflers are just standard pipe sizing, and its really easy to make almost anything fit.

2.25in is the stock size, but as long as your not going from like 2.25in -> 10in or something outrageous I wouldn't foresee any problems.

It doesn't have to be marketed as a genesis coupe muffler, its all the same stuff.

Best way to buy is to find a similar engine'd car at a meet (preferably another genesis) and ask them to rev it; then buy the parts online.

Also in-person is ideal because you get the real thing instead of real thing -> recording -> playback, which effects the audio quality.

Because you have so many options, most people go with a brand they like to ensure good quality, or support a local brand. :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Forgot to mention: if your leaving the door open for making big power down the line, buying a bigger diameter exhaust will ensure you can keep that same exhaust if you upgrade. (because so much exhaust is created, needs a wider pipe)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all, having some difficulty finding a tuner in Edmonton area? I think I would like some advice from experience on this one. Just to call talk to them, see what is available

Thanks all

1 - 14 of 14 Posts