Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my current '10 3.8 genny is getting closer and closer to 100k miles I've been starting to look for other options for a next car to have as a daily and a project as well. I've pretty much narrowed it down to wanting either a BRZ Limited M/T or a 2013+ gencoupe 2.0t(track or r-spec). I'd like to hear some opinions and good points for or against either of these cars and would especially love to hear from someone coming to or from one these. Thanks in advance for all of your .02 cents!

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,109 Posts
Perhaps not what you want to hear, but why not invest in an engine build and a transmission refresh and a new diff? It's ignorant of me to argue for keeping the 3.8 without knowing the overall condition, or your full story as to why you'd like to pick up a newer ride. Is the chassis super squeaky? Do you want more/better tech? Are you frightened of out of warranty costs to the powertrain???

From a financial aspect, I see no reason to change cars as your experience in the above stated candidates won't necessarily be a huge improvement. For less cash than either option you could begin a power and chassis improvement program on the 3.8. I really don't like my friend's BRZ. It's supercharged(basic tune, 91oct, Rotrex blower) and still slower than my 3.8 while consuming impressive and disgusting amounts of fuel. It's cheap and lame inside too. But it does take corners with excellent precision. Also, the aftermarket is amazaballs. I wish we had so much choice for the Gen platform.

I've only driven a 13+ 2.0 once and while I wasn't terribly impressed with performance(it was stock, just a tick slower than my 3.8 in a straight line with a little better turn-in responsiveness), the cabin was a notch or two above my car. Updates will do that. And it's a way nicer place to be than the BRZ.

My opinion, the BRZ's fun handling is more a product of lesser mass and inadequate tires. It has superior chassis rigidity, more aftermarket, better suspension geometry, and a MUCH BETTER transmission and shifter. That's about the end of the quantifiable benefits. The engine is anemic and as it turns out, somewhat fragile in stock form. I think you'd have more fun in a dyno-tuned 2.0t with bolt-ons and certainly for less money. BRZ's, for better or worse, hold their value well. Comparable used Gens are a performance bargain.

I hope I helped, and good luck with whatever you do!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps not what you want to hear, but why not invest in an engine build and a transmission refresh and a new diff? It's ignorant of me to argue for keeping the 3.8 without knowing the overall condition, or your full story as to why you'd like to pick up a newer ride. Is the chassis super squeaky? Do you want more/better tech? Are you frightened of out of warranty costs to the powertrain???

From a financial aspect, I see no reason to change cars as your experience in the above stated candidates won't necessarily be a huge improvement. For less cash than either option you could begin a power and chassis improvement program on the 3.8. I really don't like my friend's BRZ. It's supercharged(basic tune, 91oct, Rotrex blower) and still slower than my 3.8 while consuming impressive and disgusting amounts of fuel. It's cheap and lame inside too. But it does take corners with excellent precision. Also, the aftermarket is amazaballs. I wish we had so much choice for the Gen platform.

I've only driven a 13+ 2.0 once and while I wasn't terribly impressed with performance(it was stock, just a tick slower than my 3.8 in a straight line with a little better turn-in responsiveness), the cabin was a notch or two above my car. Updates will do that. And it's a way nicer place to be than the BRZ.

My opinion, the BRZ's fun handling is more a product of lesser mass and inadequate tires. It has superior chassis rigidity, more aftermarket, better suspension geometry, and a MUCH BETTER transmission and shifter. That's about the end of the quantifiable benefits. The engine is anemic and as it turns out, somewhat fragile in stock form. I think you'd have more fun in a dyno-tuned 2.0t with bolt-ons and certainly for less money. BRZ's, for better or worse, hold their value well. Comparable used Gens are a performance bargain.

Thank you for the input! In terms of my situation, I'm just looking for something with lower mileage, newer tech and features, as well as the good stuff that my gen doesn't have like an LSD and better tranny. Also a little better mpg wouldn't hurt either. Financially, id love to be able to engine/tranny swap the gen but funds are all too limited and getting into another monthly car payment would be the only reasonable option. And good to hear your personal experience between the two cars, the 2.0t gen seems to be moving up the list haha the turbo and chassis familiarity is very tempting

·
Registered
627 Posts
Have to agree with Odelagt here. I worked for CarMax and had the opportunity of driving numerous cars for a living which was fun, but informative at the same time. The BRZ/FRS twins do corner nicely as they sit wide n low and have some nice lookin sheet metal and strong aftermarket, but they’re very underpowered and have cheap interiors that seem like an afterthought. Did I mention the interior yet? I’ve driven the twins all too often - I’m just shy of 6-foot and it felt as though I was Shaq fitting into, let’s say, a Buick. Not sure of your situation, but getting in n out of this daily driver would drive me nuts. No armrest, no room for the back passengers’ feet to fit underneath the front seats (not sure why they even made it a 2+2) and the center-stack is lackluster at best. A 13+ Genny is the way to go as you’re getting more for your $ in comfort, style and power. Sure, re-sale is an issue, but then again, you have to ask yourself what your long term goals are with your next vehicle. Mine is a keeper, so I do what I want with it. I’ll buy other cars, but I’ll keep my Genny so I won’t worry about resale... at least for now lol!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yeah, as stated above, if you are not a small person you may not be comfortable inside the BRZ/FRS.

Handling goes to BRZ.

Stock power goes to GenCoupe. BRZ Boxer is under powered stock but has great potential if modded (especially with weight difference, stance, and design of car).

Mods go to BRZ. If you are willing to put in the money, it can be wicked quick and handle in the elite class.

Cant comment on interior, will have to leave that to others who know.

·
Bill
587 Posts
I decided on 3.8 after driving 2.0. didn't want the lag. no way i could go back.
brz vs gc is classic light toss-it-about vs power & pretty good handling.
i'd go miata or mini before brz, probably.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Toyobaru is a tin can that handles. Thats it. Its bottom barrel everything else. It comes with Prius tires ffs. Interior is worse than some early 00's sigh-on TC. You said you want more tech, looking at the FRS/BRZ is the antithesis of that. However, its popularity and price point make its aftermarket and knowledge base extremely plentiful. Id say thats its only benefit over say a 2.0t is your ability to mod it and find shitload of parts for whatever path your heart desires. However, I think if you arent going to actively track it, you arent using it to its fullest.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All these responses are definitely opening my eyes a little more to the truth about the BRZ which is that its not that nice, just NICER than my base model 2010 coupe in terms of stuff like heated seats, nav, and push start lol. The only thing about the BRZ that still has my heart is the subie rumble with the UELs:/ but everything better about the 2.0t should more than make up for it. I really appreciate everyones inputs as they are helping me a lot with making the decision!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't owned one, but I test drove an FR-S a couple years back and thought it was amazing. I don't think there's a car in its price range that has a more mechanical feel. If you do any track days or a lot of corner carving get the BRZ. For more typical DD duties, it all comes down to preference. Speed or handling basically.

As far as space I'm 6'3 and felt comfortable in the FRS, you sit low in the car so there's plenty of room.

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,109 Posts
I decided on 3.8 after driving 2.0. didn't want the lag. no way i could go back.
brz vs gc is classic light toss-it-about vs power & pretty good handling.
i'd go miata or mini before brz, probably.
Bwahhahaha, Miata is ALWAYS the answer, right? No matter how hard anyone tries to unseat it, the soul of "casual but spirited" driving was benchmarked by Mazda all those years ago. Everything else is just more. Even an S2000, as special as it is, is at best a Miata+. More car. Not necessarily better or worse, but simply "more". I suppose we can omit the BAC Mono, Ariel Atom, and any Caterham from simply being "more", though. None the less, while many cars deliver quantifiable performance well in excess of any Miata, it is difficult to achieve a qualitative "better" experience driving anything as opposed to a well sorted MX5.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Up until a few months ago I had a ‘13 BRZ. Traded it in a few months ago for my present ‘15 Ultimate. No doubt the BRZ is a very fun car to drive. Extremely nimble, precise steering and feedback from the road is excellent. I felt way more confident driving the BRZ then the Genesis. To me the Genesis is not nearly precise as the BRZ. But that said, the BRZ was a very bare bones car which I get. And the interior does have a cheap feel to it where the Genesis does not. I love the Genesis interior, very comfortable plus mine has all the bells and whistles.

And yes, love that V6! Still getting use to it compared to that 200hp in the BRZ. I did do allot of minor mods the BRZ, mainly cosmetic. Very easy to do on that car. The biggest was changing to a staggered and wider tire setup. The stock tire were a bit too loose for my tastes.

Another thing about the BRZ I didn’t like was even though it was a ‘13 with under 10k miles on it, man did that car have rattles!

Now that I am a Genesis owner, I could not at see going back to the BRZ/86 unless I wanted a track car. I think any Genesis owner would be really disappointed in the lack of power that car has.

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,109 Posts
Couldn't agree more. A genesis(by no means the sharpest tool in the shed) is more substantial in many metrics than a BRZ. It's definitely a road car vs. track toy comparison. The BRZ/FRS twins remind me of a lotus elise in many ways. They're closer to that end of the spectrum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I drove a used frs, and thinking it was super fun but down on power I took out a new '17 toyota 86 too. The salesman let me put the car through the "paces", but I couldn't believe how slow both cars accelerated. I loved the steering feedback, handling and braking, but i couldn't daily drive a brz/86 without forced induction. I have also driven both the gen 2.0t and 3.8 and for me either made a much better daily.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for sharing your experiences, I've learned a lot from your replies! As of now it seems like its definitely worth keeping the genny on the road for as long as time allows and if anything ill be upgrading to a newer gen rather than a BRZ. Ill always admire the 86's but for my needs/practicality...the gen prevails haha

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 13 gen coupe 2.0T 6MT base model with some mods SFR tune, exhaust. In terms of power, the car pulls SO WELL in the 280-300hp wheel HP area, turbo lag is only a minor issue. In the right conditions, i can get her to 60 in 4.9 seconds, close to the 13+ 3.8s. I bought it used because it was a bargain and youll never get this power per dollar in a frs/brz, plus daily driveability. If you really need the 2.0T i would highly suggest getting the 2014 2.0T R-spec, it has nice seats, all the features you need and an LSD, and TUNE IT.

However my suggestion to you is waiting till you find the perfect 13+ 3.8 track or ultimate then go for it. From there you could add a turbo, tune, reduce weight etc this way youll have a beast. the thing about the 2.0s that will annoy me every so often is the exhaust note. It sounds good, especially with my catback 3in, but it will never sound as great as a V6 could have been. If i want more power pretty much the only option i have is a turbo upgrade and that will only be net 50-75 whp gain. the 3.8s have much more potential in the long run. the 3.8s are really getting cheaper now and sometimes I do regret not waiting a bit and getting the V6

·
Registered
948 Posts

I haven't hung out much on this forum in recent times, but just wanted to say this is one of the most thought out and knowledgeable responses I've seen, props

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,109 Posts
I haven't hung out much on this forum in recent times, but just wanted to say this is one of the most thought out and knowledgeable responses I've seen, props
Thanks, man. I try to be balanced, and I don't like to speak on things with which I'm not familiar. OP's request just happened to be firmly centered in my wheelhouse of knowledge and experience.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts