Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw a local 2015 3.8 base one owner with 14500 miles on it for sale at a dealer, they are asking 21,700 which is inline with KBB dealer price value. I currently drive a 2012 3.8 GT with 40000 miles. Both are auto. I know the 2015 base won't have nav system or leather seats and I don't think son roof, which neither is a deal breaker for me.

Has anyone gone from a 12 to 15? Just wonder about some of the differences? i know about the 346 vs 306 HP and 8 speed vs 6 speed. The new one is grey so i don't think the black on the front looks as bad as some other colors I have seen.

In the you tube review of the 15 I saw it seemed to have a slightly louder stock exhaust.

I have had my current one for 2 years and like it but if I can upgrade to a 3 year newer car with really low mileage it sounds tempting.

Even if I buy from a non Hyundai dealer the remaining warranty transfers doesn't it?

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
What is it you'd be looking for specifically with the BK2? If you want power, then just invest in your current car as some of your options are much better than the BK2. If you want to keep it stock but get a nice bump in power, then go with the BK2. IIRC, you're a ZF 6AT which means you probably have the 3.72 FD and the BK2 8AT will come with the 4.18 so more power, more gears and better gearing.

As far as warranty, you need to be VERY careful here. Ask them what warranty comes with it. Most extended warranties will not transfer. So just get clarification first.

I know a few people on the forum and on FB have gone from BK1 to BK2 and no one has ever said, "I wish I hadn't of upgraded".

·
Registered
38 Posts
> you're a ZF 6AT which means you probably have the 3.72 FD and the BK2 8AT will come with the 4.18

Could you translate the acronyms and numbers, please?

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
> you're a ZF 6AT which means you probably have the 3.72 FD and the BK2 8AT will come with the 4.18

Could you translate the acronyms and numbers, please?
6AT = 6 speed automatic
8AT = 8 speed automatic
3.73 is your final drive ratio
4.18 is the final drive ratio of the 8 speed automatic
BK1 = first generation genesis coupe 2010-2012 (BK is the platform code)
BK2 = second generation 2013-2016

·
Registered
239 Posts
The remainder of the 5 year 60,000 "bumper to bumper" does transfer until it's gone. The remainder of the 10 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty will NOT transfer unless it is a "Certified Pre-owned", which has to be certified by a Hyundai dealer. It is a Hyundai backed program/warranty. Any dealer will offer some "extended" warranties, some much better than others.

As Titan said, you would not likely find yourself wishing you hadn't made the switch, if you do. Just get the right "deal" that you are comfortable with.

ominousone

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any thoughts on the price they want 21,700 for the car a 2015 3.8 base one owner with 14500 miles?

I am thinking around 20000 would be a fair price. Then try to sell mine for 14,500 or so?

My 2012 is stock and would likely stay stock on the 2015 to start.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Data point: There is a 2016 base 3.8 for sale near me (dealer). It's super clean - 6,000 miles w/ the 8 spd tranny and the rear spoiler. They'll sell it for $24,000 out the door.

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
what will they take on trade in? I think $21k for base used is too much. more like 18k. What does KBB say?

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
a 3.8 r-spec would be worth $20k

·
Registered
38 Posts
Keep in mind that dealers don't use KBB, they use NADA which shows the avg prices dealers get. The prices are 10% higher than KBB on avg.

·
Registered
38 Posts
"Second and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5-Year/60,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Excludes coverage for vehicles in commercial use (e.g., taxi, route delivery, delivery service, rental, etc.)."

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"Second and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5-Year/60,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Excludes coverage for vehicles in commercial use (e.g., taxi, route delivery, delivery service, rental, etc.)."
So that implies it only covers powertrain which isn't what i would have hoped. DO you have any links to show warranty info?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't get a newer one back then but now have found a 2014 3.8 Ultimate with 31000 miles for 18600, NADA says mine should trade for 12500 so if i get the dealer to go for that - 6000 +/- a little i think i may jump on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts