Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
DIY Beginner
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys think stage 4 is over kill or fine for BTR stage 2(Maybe 3)? and full bolt-ons obviously.

Ive been biding my time to get this set up, I plan on doing it in the next 2-3 months, but the thing is my clutch needs to be replaced now.

Will having a stage 4 clutch on only slightly more than stock power cause issues on the tranny? any other concerns?

·
DIY Beginner
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2013 2.0T with about 16k miles on it. What do you hate about your stage 3? I saw one really bad review on Genracer for their stage 3.5. I am most concerned with if this will be bad for the transmission and if stage 4 is just undriveable on the street. For the most part, I have read that it is fine after the break in period.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,271 Posts
I don't think the one I have is available any more. But there is almost no way for it to slip, it's either on or off. Also seems to take too much pressure for the slave to put out enough force to completely release the disc.

·
DIY Beginner
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahhh so its impossible to be smooth shifting gears you're saying? Is it hard to depress the clutch for shifts compared to stock?

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,271 Posts
Much more force is required but it is not unusable. I have clutch creep. The disc never fully disengages. So 1st and rev the car will creep ahead with the clutch in, all other gears seem to take a slow two step shift. You can shift faster but end up forcing the transmission into the gear. No grinding, just slow action.

·
The OG Gencoupe Shop
4,589 Posts
I have a 2013 2.0T with about 16k miles on it. What do you hate about your stage 3? I saw one really bad review on Genracer for their stage 3.5. I am most concerned with if this will be bad for the transmission and if stage 4 is just undriveable on the street. For the most part, I have read that it is fine after the break in period.
We have used the 3.5 and the 4 in our race cars.
Its a heavy clutch (the stage 4) that has a hair disengagement. The 3.5 is close but a bit smoother and less of an On/off feeling that the 4 is.
a stage 2 would be perfectly fine for you as well, but they are never in stock and we have a rolling backorder for them

there is one 3.5 left out of the last release from Comp

·
SUN★WORKS
56,362 Posts
The stage 3 and stage 4 use the same identical pressure plate. The pedal feels the same between the two. I can also say the engagement is almost identical. (I've had both). The longevity of how long the disc will last will vary with driving style/abuse.

My stage 3 only lasted about 20k hard miles.

Still rocking the stage 4 with a little over 15k.

·
The OG Gencoupe Shop
4,589 Posts
The stage 3 and stage 4 use the same identical pressure plate. The pedal feels the same between the two. I can also say the engagement is almost identical. (I've had both). The longevity of how long the disc will last will vary with driving style/abuse.

My stage 3 only lasted about 20k hard miles.

Still rocking the stage 4 with a little over 15k.
Correct. They engage at almost the exact point. The only difference is the clutch material making the 3.5 less harsh when letting off the pedal

·
SUN★WORKS
56,362 Posts
Correct. They engage at almost the exact point. The only difference is the clutch material making the 3.5 less harsh when letting off the pedal
Thats not the only difference.

CC stage 3 was segmented ceramic.
CC stage 3.5 (not offered anymore but if you have one.. ) segmented kevlar
cc stage 4 is a 6 pad ceramic clutch.

The disc be solid on both stage 3 discs that were offered is what made the engaging smoother. Not necessarily the material.

·
The OG Gencoupe Shop
4,589 Posts
Thats not the only difference.

CC stage 3 was segmented ceramic.
CC stage 3.5 (not offered anymore but if you have one.. ) segmented kevlar
cc stage 4 is a 6 pad ceramic clutch.

The disc be solid on both stage 3 discs that were offered is what made the engaging smoother. Not necessarily the material.
As far as we know, the 3.5 is still produced. We just got some in and more slated for next month. The 3 is not available

edit
stage 3.5 is now 5096-2600

2nd edit:
confirmed no stage 3

·
SUN★WORKS
56,362 Posts
As far as we know, the 3.5 is still produced. We just got some in and more slated for next month. The 3 is not available

edit
stage 3.5 is now 5096-2600

2nd edit:
confirmed no stage 3
Well that escalated quickly.. lol

·
DIY Beginner
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey guys, thanks for the awesome info and input. it is greatly appreciated. I decided to go with stage 2(just going to wait a month and a half), since I dont think I'd like such a hard bite from the clutch that I couldn't be smooth shifting if i wanted to. As I continue to mod, if the clutch starts to slip, I will simply upgrade again. However, with a stage 2 tune and bolt ons, stage 2 CC will work just fine i think.

Lastly, GenRacer is awesome. Always such great customer service. They called me immediately after I placed the order to let me know about the backorder. Honestly, I probably would have been a little pissed to find out any other way than them calling me and letting me know my options. I thought that was a nice touch, just saying lol I always get my new toys from them and I plan on continuing to do so in the future.

·
SUN★WORKS
56,362 Posts
hey guys, thanks for the awesome info and input. it is greatly appreciated. I decided to go with stage 2(just going to wait a month and a half), since I dont think I'd like such a hard bite from the clutch that I couldn't be smooth shifting if i wanted to. As I continue to mod, if the clutch starts to slip, I will simply upgrade again. However, with a stage 2 tune and bolt ons, stage 2 CC will work just fine i think.

Lastly, GenRacer is awesome. Always such great customer service. They called me immediately after I placed the order to let me know about the backorder. Honestly, I probably would have been a little pissed to find out any other way than them calling me and letting me know my options. I thought that was a nice touch, just saying lol I always get my new toys from them and I plan on continuing to do so in the future.
GenRacer is good people.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have the Stage 2 Kit with a SMF. Only complaint I have is the SMF makes quite a lot of noise through the first 3 or 4 gears on decel under 3k to 2k RPM, and noise from 2k - 2.5k on accel, although that's a non-issue since you should be accelerating at a higher RPM than that anyway.If you're okay with the noise of the SMF, I'd get the whole Stage 2 Kit and install. It feels a lot stronger and the clutch def does not slip with my Stage 1 tune. I can peel all first, through second and chirp into third on Bridgestone Performance All-Seasons. Car responds faster too. I think the clutch is good for something like 350 or 400 ft. lbs WTQ. is what CC says.

·
The OG Gencoupe Shop
4,589 Posts
Well that escalated quickly.. lol
I just wanted to confirm lol.
Things change so fast in the industry sometimes. So i reached out to Comp and confirmed :)

·
The OG Gencoupe Shop
4,589 Posts

You are welcome

you talked to me :p

Also, its worth noting that if you DO need to upgrade..They are all the same flywheel. You can just buy the pressure plate and clutch disk for the upgrade.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts