Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months back I decided to take out the maf sensor in my 2003 ford ranger 4x4 and clean it. I picked up some " tune up in a bottle " from the local ford dealership which is designed for cleaning throttle bodies, maf sensors and such. I sprayed both sides of the filaments for about 10 seconds....3 times and let air dry for 30 minutes before re-installing.
...Made a noticeable difference in power and fuel economy. I got my 3.8 out a few weeks back and did the same thing. Runs better and I have noticed that my tailpipes are not running as rich. I believe the maf sensor is one of those important things that easily gets ignored or overlooked. My coupe is 7 years old now...and it was worth the effort to take it out (maf), and clean it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I clean mine once an oil change with MAF cleaner. I have not seen anything that cleans throttle bodies and MAFs in the same can, but if it says MAF safe I'm sure it's ok. I have a 2010 3.8 Track with 160,000 miles and still going strong because I make sure everything is taken care of.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,451 Posts
The theory behind special MAF cleaners is some OE TBs come with a coating. But if the build up is thee then I can't see how the coating is working. I've just always used contact or brake cleaner.

The attachment is a test.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Is any computer re-learning required after a MAF cleaning? I cleaned mine a while back and seem to be having a slightly unstable idle now. Not sure if the two are related.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
The TB/MAF cleaning process is necessary but risky,
Too much cleaner can mess up the TB and even require replacement.
I just had the valve cleaning gig done at Valvoline Express lube and the tech was very careful to use the small hose inlet BEHIND the throttle body.
Apparently it's possible to overdose the system.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Lethal1ty17 - I might try that... guess it couldn't hurt. Was hoping to find some hyundai data on if this, or similar procedure, is required after MAF/TB cleaning.

BBCMHG - What do you mean by "small hose inlet"? I'm trying to remember but can't recall anything like that when I had my air ducts removes. It sounds like there may be an inlet behind the butterfly that should be cleaned. When I cleaned mine I sprayed the butterfly, the mount pivots, in front of it, and what I could reach behind it (I did not remove TB as I didn't have a gasket at the time). Also tried cleaning the back of the butterfly. I made sure not to douse it too much as I didn't want any TB cleaner to pool up in the plenum... so just a pulse of spray followed by wiping with a fresh shop rag... rinse/repeat till shiny.

I scanned for codes yesterday with Torque app and not a single code came back. One of those rare cases when you're actually hoping for one lol.

As I'm typing this I am now wondering if I didn't tighten down the air duct screws tight enough... I believe there are 2 on wire-loops... one near the TB, then another right after the air cleaner. Something to check next...

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
The hose is about 5/8" diameter and it's just to the rear of the throttle body toward the passenger side.
If you have a Valvoline Express lube in town ask them where they inject the valve cleaning solution, nod wisely, say "Thank you." and go home and work on your car.

Good luck, have fun!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts