Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a 2013 R-Spec 2.0T and recently developed misfire codes. It idles horrible, and alot of shaking. I have replaced the Coilpacks/Spark plugs and it is still throwing codes. Spark plugs are perfectly gapped. I have a custom BTR tune that has been excellent. It just crossed the 75k mark.

Does anyone have suggestions on what else can cause this? Could it be the injectors became faulty?

·
Premium Member
16,201 Posts
Hello everyone. I have a 2013 R-Spec 2.0T and recently developed misfire codes. It idles horrible, and alot of shaking. I have replaced the Coilpacks/Spark plugs and it is still throwing codes. Spark plugs are perfectly gapped. I have a custom BTR tune that has been excellent. It just crossed the 75k mark.

Does anyone have suggestions on what else can cause this? Could it be the injectors became faulty?
Try this

with engine idling, unplug the "an" injector and plug it back in. Do this 1 injector at a time, until the idle doesn't change.
the one that doesn't change idle is likely the injector that's having a problem.

If you can't find out which one it is by doing this, then do the same with the coils. (could still be a spark issue, and doing this doesn't cost anything)

If you still can't find out with one it is, then it is likely the fuel pump...
BUT I would do a compression test, before going through the hassle of replacing the fuel pump, just in case.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I have gone ahead and done both those. Each injector has changed the idle. Same thing with the coils. It started rough but after 30 sec to a minute it was idling fine. Took it for a drive and it sounded like a boxer motor. No power/hesitation. Also had white smoke coming out the exhaust. It's about 65F here

·
Premium Member
16,201 Posts
So compression numbers on a COLD engine were between 145-155 on both a wet/dry test.
numbers seem fine.
How many miles on the engine?
I would also check valve timing. I'm suggesting in trying all these tests, so you don't end up just throwing parts at the problem.

To check valve timing, take off the valve cover, and crank the "crank bolt" by hand (big ratchet) until the lines on the "cam gears" face each other (removing the sparkplugs will make cranking it easier)

there will be a mark on the crank pulley with timing marks on the front of the engine.
The pulley mark should be at 0, if the lines on the cam gears don't line up, then the timing chain is overworn.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
75k miles. Yes, my neighbor also thinks that the timing skipped. There's no CEL light and the car drives fine but it ONLY happens when making right turns

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took it to a local mechanic and they could not figure out the problem. The CEL turns on while I accelerate and turns off as soon as I release the accelerator pedal. Will be taking it to Sam @BTR as I don't know what it could possibly be.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Check the hose connecting to the throttle body, and make sure the clamp is on tight. My car did the same thing. The hose was just slightly misaligned. I removed the cap on the clamp, loosened, moved the hose up, retightened.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes it was. Turned out the ECU was basically at the end of its life for some odd reason. Rule out spark plugs/gap, injectors, and coil packs before hand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the follow up, much appreciated. How did you determine it was the ecu? We've replaced all the coils and cleaned the injectors. Was going to try cleaning the O2 sensors and checking plugs today.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts