Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I'm noob when it comes to fixing cars, trying to learn as I go along. I got the p2261 code, brought it to my garage just to see what the exact problem was. They told me it was the actuator valve on the turbo charger. Ive googled my ass off all day with no answers. Even a performance shop near me and also the Hyundai dealer both told me the turbo would need replacing.
My questions are:
Do I actually have to replace the turbo?

Is this a common problem?

If I buy an actuator kit is it fairly easy to replace?

(The car is stock.... be gentle haha)

All that to say I'd appreciate any insight or advice before purchasing the wrong things.
Thanks!

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,622 Posts
That's the BOV. If it's the factory it my be bad. Most replace with some sort of aftermarket.

P2261 Turbocharger/Supercharger Bypass Valve - Mechanical

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, I appreciate it seems like the GC community is pretty solid as well, I figured one of you had the answer, I'll give it a check on the weekend when I'm free and I'll post the results when everything is fixed up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What is the status of your issue?

So I had this issue as well. Looks like this code can primarily be thrown by one of two issues.

The first one is the actual bypass valve or RCV that is bolted to the turbo. It has a rubber diaphragm that can wear out over time and crack/tear/split (causing the stuck open condition) and/or get stuck shut (causing the stuck shut condition). That part is round with a single vacuum line coming off it and again, its bolted right on the turbo.

The second is the bypass valve solenoid or RCV solenoind which controls the opening and closing of the bypass valve mentioned in issue number one above. This is the part that Red Raspberry illustrated above with the page out of the manual. It has several vacuum lines and a single connector with a couple wires going to it.

The solenoid is 21,000 Won here in Korea, which is about $19.75 in USD. I replaced this first as it is far cheaper than replacing the bpv with a Forge. This was the faulty part causing my CEL and code.

Let us know how your repair went.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this issue as well. Looks like this code can primarily be thrown by one of two issues.
Just for the record, you can bypass the solenoid, running the BOV directly off intake vacuum. Plug the port on the solenoid.
Right you are. Unfortunately for resale purposes here where I'm at I needed to have a stock configuration. Luckily the solenoid itself was under 20 bucks.

By the way Red Raspberry, do you still have that cd manual and can I get a link to it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is the status of your issue?

So I had this issue as well. Looks like this code can primarily be thrown by one of two issues.

The first one is the actual bypass valve or RCV that is bolted to the turbo. It has a rubber diaphragm that can wear out over time and crack/tear/split (causing the stuck open condition) and/or get stuck shut (causing the stuck shut condition). That part is round with a single vacuum line coming off it and again, its bolted right on the turbo.

The second is the bypass valve solenoid or RCV solenoind which controls the opening and closing of the bypass valve mentioned in issue number one above. This is the part that Red Raspberry illustrated above with the page out of the manual. It has several vacuum lines and a single connector with a couple wires going to it.

The solenoid is 21,000 Won here in Korea, which is about $19.75 in USD. I replaced this first as it is far cheaper than replacing the bpv with a Forge. This was the faulty part causing my CEL and code.

Let us know how your repair went.
Ultimately it was the bypass valve it was the stuck closed case, waiting on the part to arrive and will be replaced next week. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
31 Posts
So i have the same code. This thread is a big help. I am starting with testing the wastegate and rcv sole...not that i found them thanks to the post from the manual. I am just wondering if i am doing it rifht. Detached the electrical and vacume hoses and removed zolenoif and use a multimeter and place the pos and neg to the two leads in the solenoid, correct?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts