Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Parabolica Blue 2.0T :)
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have the 2013 2.0T Premium with the 8 speed automatic. I have been using the stick shifter in the car to change gears for many months now. During those months, I noticed that the stick shifter itself had about a 1/2 second lag before it switched gears. Surprisingly today, I tried out the paddle shifters and found out that they changed the gears instantly compared to the stick shifter.

I know it doesn't make much sense because it should be the same, but anyone notice this too?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Dont know about the 13's but on my 11 i didnt notice any difference. Maybe its just you lol. Because........... RACECAR!!!

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Yea just like you said maybe like a split second of lag. But that is expected in the lower cost Automatic transmissions.

·
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Paddle and stick send identical signal to the same pins of TCU.
It's just that stick takes longer throw than paddles.
Why would the 2011 have lag for both the paddle and the stick then? I'm not quite understanding that.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Why would the 2011 have lag for both the paddle and the stick then? I'm not quite understanding that.
What i think he is trying to say is the only lag is in your hand. it physically takes longer to push the stick up than it does to tap the paddle, this is the "Lag" you are feeling.

·
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What i think he is trying to say is the only lag is in your hand. it physically takes longer to push the stick up than it does to tap the paddle, this is the "Lag" you are feeling.
Oh. That's not what I'm trying to say. I count from the time the shifter hits the top or the bottom.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have noticed that the stick seems to take a bit longer - particularly in higher rpms. It's obviously not a life changing difference but after playing with both quite frequently... There is something that is slightly off.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
525 Posts
Wow, I have NOT noticed this. I'll try to compare tomorrow with mine as I haven't use them all that much and don't pay attention.

·
CH 11 Sec 62 / Basterds
612 Posts
There is a delay when using the stick compared to the paddles. The paddles are nearly instantaneous while the stick there is half a second if not sometimes a full second delay before the shift, up or down. I've tested this thoroughly myself, so I find this very true for at least mine.

However, I still use the stick, having myself in 'racecar' stance in city driving is uncomfortable to make me want to use the paddles.

·
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is a delay when using the stick compared to the paddles. The paddles are nearly instantaneous while the stick there is half a second if not sometimes a full second delay before the shift, up or down. I've tested this thoroughly myself, so I find this very true for at least mine.

However, I still use the stick, having myself in 'racecar' stance in city driving is uncomfortable to make me want to use the paddles.
That's what I thought as well. I still use the stick even though there's a slight lag. It's just more fun holding onto a stick rather than using paddle shifters. :)

·
Advenio Pariter
3,988 Posts
Interesting. After 35 years of stick use I simply could not get into the paddle shifters, lag or not. If you want instant shifting you need a DCT not a slush box, anyway. When I put my hand on the stick it's like the "old days" of using a slap stick on my Charger (a real one...with a big block...)...except the Hyundai stick cannot take that kind of abuse. I guess it is just what I am used to. Hand on stick and shifts happen when they should. Hmmmm. For daily driving I enjoy not having the manual anymore.

·
Mature Speeder
717 Posts
My favorite mode is putting it in sport mode and letting the auto shift. It holds gears a little longer, especially in turns, and keeps you out of overdrive gears until your at highway speeds. It down shifts quicker to.

·
Registered
264 Posts
yes, i have noticed this as well and I use paddle shifters. But I dont think theres a huge difference.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I tried it today and cant tell a difference between tranny shift speed using paddles or shifter. Seem the same to me.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts